Sign in with
Your question

New build for a customer - Double checking ideas.

Last response: in Systems
October 1, 2011 10:15:28 PM

Building a computer for 3d modelling and gaming. It'll be a computer that will be built-and-ready for the new AMD CPU's. She wants the AMD FX-Series FX-8150 (3.6GHz, 8-Core) and I'll be building the computer around that idea.

My first question centers around cooling the CPU. I heard that they might be bundling self-contained watercooling systems with the processors. My customer is quite tech-friendly, just worried about putting this much money together herself. I really want to do a water cooling system like the H100, but I can't figure out if the new FX-Series will fit the H100, or should I wait out for a bundled water cooler and CPU?

Here is a link to the build I put together, I will also be shopping around the internet for cheaper prices, so if you know you can get a part cheaper somewhere, please link me.

Newegg List
+AMD FX-Series FX-8150 (3.6GHz, 8-Core)
+Watercooling for the AMD FX-Series
+EVGA 590 (Fermi) Hydro Copper 2 (Dual GPU Watercooled Gfx Card)
October 1, 2011 10:44:08 PM

I have the H50... I saw the new H100 and question where the fan set will go. On my H50 I added a second fan, they are stacked with 1 on the CPU fan controller and the other speed switchable. My i7-2600k OC'd to 4.4 runs at 47 - 49C in game. The switch fan is on medium only.

From Corsair:

Package Contents

Corsair Cooling H100 CPU Cooler
Two 120mm fans
Multi-platform mounting kit (Intel ® LGA 1366, 1155, 1156, and 775, AMD® AM2/AM3) <<<<<< -- looked on NewEgg for your listed CPU, did not see it...
Thermal compound (pre-applied)
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2011 7:11:07 AM

the i7 2600k will be more powerful still. the intel processors are way stronger clock for clock.
m
l
October 2, 2011 7:15:14 AM

also what pump/resovoir/radiator are you using for the 590? if you want to do WC for that 590 might as well skip on that h100 and use WC for the whole build
m
l
October 2, 2011 7:19:11 AM

Quote:
if the 8core BD is breaking world records, I think I will enjoy ocing a bulldozer myself :3

thats great but i dont think they will cool their processor with liquid nitrogen. take a look at this (may want to llok through the whole article to get background info)- http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/processor-architect... the lower the better. bulldozer cannot fill the gap. they will be a little bit stronger but still not close to sandy bridge.
m
l
October 2, 2011 7:20:35 AM

Quote:
Aren't the h100 being recalled because of a fan controller issue?

that fan controller is stupid who is going to open up their case just to turn up or down their fans. that would become annoying very quickly
m
l
October 2, 2011 12:31:16 PM

Quote:
I was thinking the BD would fall more between the i5 2500k and the i7 2800X in terms of overall performance/oc performance.

Here's to hoping but it's more likely a bit weaker than the i5-2500k.
m
l
!