Sign in with
Your question

Core temp sensor on the fritz?

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2012 10:03:06 AM

Hey y'all!
A question about core temperature sensors on a Phenom II X4 840, if I may.

My core temperature readings have been acting strange recently. Originally they indicated that the CPU was idling around the 52*c mark, which I wasn't too worried about (It's summer here in Aust and it gets bloody hot!). However, at times the readings wouldn't come up at all. Now, after successfully overclocking the CPU the temps indicate it is idling around the 30*c mark. I'm no expert, but I was of the belief that the temperature should increase if anything after overclocking, not decrease significantly?

I am also getting conflicting readings between different programs; Core Temp is giving me 30* (used to give me 52*), Hardware Monitor is giving me the same, while the ASRock utility (came with the mother board) gives me 48* idle. The BIOS itself gives me around 38* most times.

Which program, if any, should I be believing? Or are the sensors playing funny buggers?

More about : core temp sensor fritz

January 2, 2012 10:33:52 AM

Well programs never read the exact temp, but they should get close. Either way, idle temps dont really matter. What are your load temps like? (while playing games or running prime 95)
m
l
January 10, 2012 5:18:16 AM

According to Core Temp the CPU runs at around 56*c when using Prime95 (small FFTs)... Core Temp says my Tj. max is 70*, so am I correct in assuming that 56* is fine under full load? I was just kinda confused by the sudden change drop in temperatures, doesn't make too much sense (to me, anyway =P)
m
l
Related resources
January 10, 2012 10:13:39 AM

Yeah 56 is really good. 70 is a little high, but not dangerous. 56 is a really good temp, I wouldnt be worried. Hell, Intels stock coolers keep your 4-core at 80 under prime. :-)
m
l
January 10, 2012 10:32:39 AM

oh good! It's not the stock cooler, mind... the stock cooler really couldn't handle both the summer temps AND overclocking =P
I suppose the best I can do is to trust the readings, and hope the drop in temp was just the cooler heatsinking itself properly =P
m
l
January 10, 2012 12:37:18 PM

Yeah as long as the core temps under load are all reported the same, and stay under 60, your golden. Which cooler are you using?
m
l
!