Sign in with
Your question

AMD A8 3850 + XFX 6670 Crossfire issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2011 6:27:34 AM

I was hoping someone could help me with my build. I have an AMD A8 and an XFX Radeon 6670. But I cant tell if its running in crossfire.... Catalyst doesn't show an option to enable/disable Crossfire and the computer will only run the display through the discreet card's output and not the motherboards....

I have downloaded the the latest Catalyst drivers but have had no results.

Can some one please help?!

My System specs:
Motherboar: MSI A75MA-G55
CPU: AMD A8 3850
Grahics Card: XFX HD 6670 ZAF3
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
PSU: Antec Green 430W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS BRONZE

I appreciate any help I can get.
August 1, 2011 4:21:38 PM

Yes, I have the Vision Engine Control Center is installed, and originally the Control Center detected the dual graphics option and automatically enabled Crossfire. I updated the BIOS on my mb and since then Crossfire isn't even an option in the Control Center.
m
l
Related resources
August 1, 2011 4:32:51 PM

Curious. I wonder what the BIOS update did. Anyway, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers. The drivers may be expecting a value from the motherboard that changed when you updated the BIOS and that is why it is not giving you the crossfire option anymore.
m
l
August 1, 2011 6:09:38 PM

megamanx00 said:
Curious. I wonder what the BIOS update did. Anyway, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers. The drivers may be expecting a value from the motherboard that changed when you updated the BIOS and that is why it is not giving you the crossfire option anymore.

Yea, Curious indeed. I re-installed catalyst and vision control center, I also removed the 6670 and plug my monitor directly to the MB's DVI output. It detected the AMD A8 6550D as the default GPU. However when I install the 6670, then the discreet card becomes the default and I have to plug my monitor onto the 6670 output.

Its like it will only run one or the other, but will not run them both in Crossfire?
m
l
August 2, 2011 5:49:20 AM

Sometimes the most obvious solution is the most elusive!!!!!

Turns out when I updated the bios, the Dual Graphics support was disabled. So it was as simple as going into the BIOS and turning on the feature. The Dual Graphics disable/enable option was hidden in one of the MSI menus. Go figure.

Thanks guys for contributing!!
m
l
August 2, 2011 3:33:45 PM

doh! yeah darn defaults :D 
m
l
August 14, 2011 3:06:07 AM

mrguzman83 said:

Turns out when I updated the bios, the Dual Graphics support was disabled. So it was as simple as going into the BIOS and turning on the feature. The Dual Graphics disable/enable option was hidden in one of the MSI menus. Go figure.

I have the same problem and the exact same APU with the discrete graphics card. Where in bios does it enable or disable dual graphics?
m
l
August 14, 2011 3:24:18 AM

My bios for my A75-UD4H doesn't have IGX Configuration. Is there an advanced view to give me that menu>
m
l
August 29, 2011 9:16:57 PM

mrguzman83 said:

I have a quesiton i am buying an A8-3850 APU and i want to hybrid crossfire with a 6670 also for the 6690D2; what is your windows experience rating? Assuming you are using windows 7; also what type of frame rates do you get on games if you game, or benchmark scores, on graphics? Please and thank you for any insight :) 
m
l
September 2, 2011 12:49:33 AM

outlaw4lf said:
I have a quesiton i am buying an A8-3850 APU and i want to hybrid crossfire with a 6670 also for the 6690D2; what is your windows experience rating? Assuming you are using windows 7; also what type of frame rates do you get on games if you game, or benchmark scores, on graphics? Please and thank you for any insight :) 

I haven't done any benchmarks and I'm not sure what my Windows Rating is. So I'll have to get back to you on that. What I will tell you is that all my games on steam run very well on the setup. A few example of my games: COD MW 2, Deus Ex Human Evolution, Assassin's Creed 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Far Cry 2, Crysis...
The setup performs very well. That's not to say that you should expect all games to run at extreme settings, since this is not the setup for an extremist. But everything runs at very very playable settings and the framerate has always been silky smooth at 1680x1050 resolution. It will slow down slightly at higher resolutions with effects above average/medium.

I'll get back with actual benchmarks.
m
l
September 2, 2011 12:52:03 AM

stockhausenj said:
I have the same problem and the exact same APU with the discrete graphics card. Where in bios does it enable or disable dual graphics?

What kind of Motherboard do you have? The menu will differ depending on what you have.

m
l
January 13, 2012 2:28:58 AM

Most motherboard bios have the ability to automatically disable the onboard IGX configurations at the detection of another graphics cards. Here recently I have had to connect to the bios through the PCI-E card and turn the Init Graphics to "Onboard" and then restart and go back into the bios settings to be able to modify them to usable for the Discreet Crossfire. Upon building a new system today (01-12-12) I am using an A6-3650 with an XFX 6670. When I got to install the drivers with Catalyst it automatically found and enabled the Discreet Crossfire settings.

The two instances I am referring to include the two following configurations.

Gigabyte ga-a55m-s2v
a6-3500
XFX 6450 w/2GB

Gigabyte ga-a75m-ud3h
a6-3650
XFX 6670 w/1GB

Both setups run near perfect Discreet Crossfire setups in most games that are played on them.
m
l
!