AMD Athlon x2 2.7GHz or AMD Phenom x4 9550+ 2.2GHz for BF3?

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

If the Athlon is and Athlon II X2 I'd go with that, but if it's not try to get a Phenom II or Athlon II line that're better price/performance than those two options in your mind and will perform much better on BF3.

loneninja

Distinguished
I wouldn't waste money buying the Phenom X4 9550 if you don't already have it, it's a tough call which would be better but they'll both struggle with the game. Due to the higher clock speed the Athlon would probably handle single player and small games better, but the larger more populated online maps(especially if you play 64player) will have that Athlon dropping single digit minimum frames. Due to how well threaded the game is, the Phenom should prevent that, but it's also got a really low clock speed.

Either processor is a bottleneck for that video card, you really should find out if any Athlon II or Phenom II processors are compatible with your motherboard and get a new X4. I would rather play the game on an Athlon II X4 @ 3.5Ghz paired with a Radeon 5670 than either choice you have.

It depends on the game, I don't play it but if only dual threaded the Athlon will do better but not by much over the lower clocked quad. I'd go with everyone else suggestion that you look at a phenom 2 x4 unless your board doesn't support it. If it does not then you are in a bind.

That's a good CPU and you have the chance to unlock it to a six core CPU, nothing sure, but you can try. If your current mobo support that CPU and you have the money, is a good option for BF3.