Over heating

BobChiz

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
:eek: hello first time poster.
I have solved some puter probs just reading the forums.
now I have a cpu heat prob
it is a P4 3 gig
on a Asus p4g8x board
Ati Raedon x1600 vid card.
with 4 gig of ram
the cpu temp is running at 79.5 c-176 f
I have the case open and put several fans on it.
the voltages look ok
could the psu be the culprit? even though the voltages look ok?
vcore- 1.525
+3.3- 3.32
+5- 5.05
+12 - 11.71
cpu fan speed is 2700-3000 varies.
MB temp 32 c-89.5 f

all of this information is at idle os is windows 7
I have a 2.4 cpu I am thinking of puttting in it just to see the outcome.
what your thoughts? thanks :) :bounce:

I'm going to go with clean the heatsink of any dust/fluff that has undoubtedly accumulated over the years,
and are you confident enough to remove the heatsink, clean the processor with alcohol, re-apply new thermal paste and refit the heatsink?
if not, I would find a shop in your locale, shouldn't cost you much but will help the temps
I don't see the psu causing the problem although its old,
Moto

And your still getting those temps? Could be almost bye-byes time for the chip then I reckon,
assuming you've applied the paste correctly I.E. not slathered tons on, and possibly taking into account a burn in period, (some pastes take time to cure) you shouldn't be cooking like that
Moto

navZ88

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

the core is burning, man!

Provide that you have unchecked any OverClocking features in BIOS.(let the BIOS take its DEFAULT settings.), do everything one by one until temp drop down below 50 degree C at idle:

1. Clean heat sink with alcohol.
2. Remove thermal compound paste on cpu-chip with alcohol and apply a fresh one of 'Arctic Silver' like brand.
3. Check the environment around cpu both inside case and the room. Make sure continuous flow of air throughout. There should be no accumulation of air inside.

if the problem still persists: it may me due to some hardware(cpu/mobo/psu) malfunctioning, in such case-

OPTION 1:-
Replace the cpu/mobo/psu on a fresh system(perhaps, of your friend's) one by one to find the faulty component. And finally replace the faulty one(s) with new.

OPTION 2 :-
Upgrade your cpu cooling system:
1. Use copper-finned heat-sinks. (google it)
2. Employ a LCS (Liquid Cooling System). (google it)