FS-X and a choice between AMD and Intel

bgaviator1

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Hello....I have a tough choice to make....I want to build a new computer since mine is currently just a single core 2.6 gig system. I am sure any quad core or better is going to be leaps and bounds better than what I'm used to. I am not a big gamer, and don't plan to be......but I do enjoy Microsoft Flight Simulator.....I want to try and run it with as max setting as possible. I currently have a Radeon 4890 that I bought awhile back that's still sitting in its box. I had anticipated building my system a long time ago, and at the time that was one of the top GPUs.
Now I am ready to finally finish this thing, and I was set on getting a Phenom II either 980 BE or 1100T x6. I have always worked with AMD, so that's what I am familiar with. However, I see on web sites like Passmark.com that the Intel 2600k just seems to blow the AMDs away....although they processor and other components cost more than I really wanted to spend.
My ultimate question is, would I still be able to run FS-X awesomely if I stick with AMD and my 4890, or should I really just try and splurge for a Intel 2600k? Even if I go with Intel, will my 4890 graphics card hold me back? Please advise. Thanks.

The 4890 is not really all that anymore I'm afraid, whichever option you take its going to be a serious bottleneck,
if flightsim uses hyperthreading then the 2600k would be great, but if it doesn't then the cheaper 2500k will suffice,
although a quick goolge gave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgIN2rG5GQ so maybe you can,
I would recommend an ati69xx series card or nvidia 570 upwards to get the best results, although it is of course subject to your budget
Moto

Well what is your total budget? I am assuming around 300-500, your 4890 will be holding you back, a modern day card will outperform it. A good option would be an i5-2500k, asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3, and a 100-200 dollar gap for a graphics card.