Closed Solved

Use' upgrade' install to repair broken windows 7?

With XP I used to boot from the CD, and tell windows to 'upgrade' the existing broken / unbootable version of windows already installded on the system.
I have a similar case now with a widows 7 install, and if I boot from the DVD and then tell it to do an upgrade install it tells me that I need to boot into windows and then run setup. Well, I can't boot to windows... I tried all the 'repair start-up' options to see if that would fix it, and it hasn't so I need to do an install to replace what's gone or broken or whatever, but it only wants to let me do a full clean install. Is there any way around this? The user doesn't want to wipe their system...

Thanks for any input.

Mick
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade install repair broken windows
  1. Thanks, That's what I tried, (the 'repair start up'), and it said it didn't find any problems.
  2. Best answer
    229Mick said:
    With XP I used to boot from the CD, and tell windows to 'upgrade' the existing broken / unbootable version of windows already installded on the system.
    I have a similar case now with a widows 7 install, and if I boot from the DVD and then tell it to do an upgrade install it tells me that I need to boot into windows and then run setup. Well, I can't boot to windows... I tried all the 'repair start-up' options to see if that would fix it, and it hasn't so I need to do an install to replace what's gone or broken or whatever, but it only wants to let me do a full clean install. Is there any way around this? The user doesn't want to wipe their system...

Thanks for any input.

Mick

In your case, I would...

Get your windows disc and do another fresh install.

CHoose advance when installing and install to the same drive.

Windows will gather all your existing data and put it in a visible "windows.old folder"

THis way you have a computer that works with all you existing stuff backed up.

Then you can work your way through what's worth keeping.
  3. Best answer selected by 229Mick.
  4. This topic has been closed by Nikorr.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Boot Windows XP