Cpu is noisy (not the fan)

jas77

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I have this brand new CPU (Dell inspiron 620-3790NBK) and I have already discovered buzzing in the PSU and after awhile, I decided that this knocking noise (not a good description but it kind of associate this noise with the CPU "thinking") in the CPU is not a characteristic of a quiet CPU. I already plan to send it back for the faulty PSU but I was wondering if this "knocking" noise might just be characteristic of a $700 CPU.
Thanks

Edit: I mean desktop not CPU. Sorry for the confusion. I talked to the Dell Support and they said they would do a system heat sink and fan assembly and PSU Fan and PSU replacement (for another noise). I don't know if that will do any good to the rumbling sound.

Ah yea. The CPU works on eletric frequency. There are no moving mechanical part's inside the CPU that can make any noise. Same thing with an SSD. It works on electronic data transfer no moving parts like a mechanical HDD that has reads and platters.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

if the hard drive is making noisy thats not good. especially since this is a new computer. that noise could be the head sticking which is not good or ideal.

OP id talk to whoever you bought the computer from and see what they want to do. get this worked out before any warranties end.