Sign in with
Your question

Cpu is noisy (not the fan)

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2012 4:14:12 PM

I have this brand new CPU (Dell inspiron 620-3790NBK) and I have already discovered buzzing in the PSU and after awhile, I decided that this knocking noise (not a good description but it kind of associate this noise with the CPU "thinking") in the CPU is not a characteristic of a quiet CPU. I already plan to send it back for the faulty PSU but I was wondering if this "knocking" noise might just be characteristic of a $700 CPU.
Thanks

Edit: I mean desktop not CPU. Sorry for the confusion. I talked to the Dell Support and they said they would do a system heat sink and fan assembly and PSU Fan and PSU replacement (for another noise). I don't know if that will do any good to the rumbling sound.

More about : cpu noisy fan

January 2, 2012 4:27:40 PM

what is your motherboard

m
l
January 2, 2012 5:06:59 PM

How do I find the info for the motherboard?
m
l
Related resources
a c 152 à CPUs
January 2, 2012 5:12:56 PM

If you go onto Dell's website you can look up your model number and it will give info on everything.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2012 5:21:46 PM

first you dont have a 700 dollar cpu lol but your cpu is not making noise. idk how it could. it is most likely your hard drive clicking.
m
l
January 2, 2012 5:32:42 PM

I can't find the specs for the motherboard. It might not be worth $700...So is it normal just a symptom of a average computer?
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2012 5:38:50 PM

no there should be now clicking sound. the only sound should be from the fans. its probably a clicking sound, right? does it happen more when you access something on the hard drive?
m
l
January 2, 2012 5:41:40 PM

It happens when something is open and running so I guess yes when I access something from the hard drive.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
January 2, 2012 5:47:08 PM

It's not the CPU I really don't think a CPU can make sound it's all electronic. There's no moving mechanical parts to make noise. The only noise that can come from the CPU is the fan. It's probably the HDD and I wouldn't worry about it.
m
l
January 2, 2012 5:56:43 PM

What? There are absolutely no moving parts that can make noise.
m
l
a c 82 à CPUs
January 2, 2012 5:58:55 PM

he's using cpu to refer to the big box, the processing unit in old money, rather than the chip.

OP, it could be the HDD seeking and making noises, it could be a cable rubbing against a fan, although that would be constant.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
January 2, 2012 6:03:59 PM

italianmonti said:
What? There are absolutely no moving parts that can make noise.

Ah yea. The CPU works on eletric frequency. There are no moving mechanical part's inside the CPU that can make any noise. Same thing with an SSD. It works on electronic data transfer no moving parts like a mechanical HDD that has reads and platters.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2012 6:49:53 PM

rds1220 said:
It's not the CPU I really don't think a CPU can make sound it's all electronic. There's no moving mechanical parts to make noise. The only noise that can come from the CPU is the fan. It's probably the HDD and I wouldn't worry about it.

if the hard drive is making noisy thats not good. especially since this is a new computer. that noise could be the head sticking which is not good or ideal.

OP id talk to whoever you bought the computer from and see what they want to do. get this worked out before any warranties end.
m
l
January 3, 2012 12:07:30 PM

I'd say if you hear light clicking noises, not buzzing. I'd say its probably the HD. Every time i've seen an HD go back, most of the time, it "clicks" under load.
m
l
!