Sign in with
Your question

MoBo not working after PSU problem.

Last response: in Motherboards
October 23, 2012 7:23:57 PM

Hello, this is my first post here. Ive often come here (via google) to find solutions to my problems - which always works out. However, I can't seem to find anything that would help me out here.

On sunday I turned on my desktop and immediately heard a boom sound (like a breaker tripping). I took my case apart and the psu had a burning smell, so I ordered a new one. Got the new one today and plugged everything in but my MoBo isn't working now.

I can turn it on via the button but not off and nothing that is plugged into it (mouse etc) is working. Half of the fans dont work now either. Also, I noticed that on my cpu heatsink there are copper "stub outs" which are blown.

Here are my specs but I'm just wondering if I should just buy a new motherboard and cpu. System is about 3 years old now.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA785G-UD3H
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
New PSU: Cooler Master GX - 750W
GPU: 5770

Nothing seems to come on in the motherboard, i made sure everything was plugged in tight and it's not touching the case.

Thanks for any replies.
a c 216 V Motherboard
October 23, 2012 7:50:30 PM

What was the brand and model of the dead PSU?

When some PSUs explode they will damage the devices that are attached to them.

How do you know that your CPU and/or graphics card and/or HDDs also haven't been destroyed?
October 23, 2012 8:06:32 PM

Old psu is a OCZ 700w. Each say 80 bronze. I can hear the HDDs spin, same with my gfx card (the fan works) but the CPU fan doesn't work (unless I start the spin) and nothing attached to my mobo works.

Is there something on the board that I should press or switch manually? Like a safety switch or "breaker" or something?
Related resources
October 23, 2012 8:21:29 PM

FCR1988 said:
Old psu is a OCZ 700w. Each say 80 bronze. I can hear the HDDs spin, same with my gfx card (the fan works) but the CPU fan doesn't work (unless I start the spin) and nothing attached to my mobo works.

Is there something on the board that I should press or switch manually? Like a safety switch or "breaker" or something?

I don't think so, I think it is time for a new mobo. That really stinks friend.
a c 216 V Motherboard
October 23, 2012 8:38:14 PM

Quote:
... I can hear the HDDs spin, same with my gfx card (the fan works) ...
It's not the electric motors that get damaged, it's the devices on the servo controller circuit board of the HDD and on the graphics card.
October 24, 2012 2:47:42 AM

Well I bought a new Motherboard and Cpu. We'll see what else I need when i get those in a couple days. Thanks for your help.
!