Sign in with
Your question

I sold, my friend an old gaming rig of mine, it no longer works

Last response: in Motherboards
October 23, 2012 8:10:25 PM

Hello everyone. My friend and I are both PC Gamers, I built this Rig. He has been gaming on his laptop for the past two years. Him and I have. He has a mobile family chip set graphics card and an intel dual core. I don't know how much RAM his laptop has or anything else. Well, his laptop sucks for pc gaming and he always has problems with his laptop. He gets 20 FPS in most games and some even lower. We have played gmod, killing floor, tf2, and a few others. He told me that his laptop has been unbearable. A little more than a year ago (April 2011), before I built this computer I purchased a rig. It was like a $400 decent one. Then, 9 months ago, I decided I wanted to build my own rig. I did that and it all worked out well. So I had two gaming rigs. This one has much better specs than the other. I am not going to name the specs because I don't see that being relevant. Anyways, I have been maintaining the other computer well. It has been working fine. My friend offered to buy that computer from me for $75.00 I said sure and plus I remember my days when I was gaming on a laptop and it sucked. The advantage for him to get that computer was so him and I could play games together, more games and better performance. Him and I made the trade. He is horrible when it comes to hardware, so he gave me his hard drive, I took the current one out then and put his in. We then took the mobo out and everything else. Him and I the case dusted it, made it look nicer. I then told him that there were no motherboard pegs. The apperatices that the mobo stands on. I don't know exactly what they are called.

I needed to take them out and put them in this computer for this motherboard. I told him I don't see any harm in putting the mobo on the case. Plus, the computer has been running fine like that for the past two months. So we put it back together, I tested it and the computer powered on. I then installed the video card for him. The computer recognized it and all was well. The computer was working fine and has been working fine. I transported it to his house and we both hooked it all up. Before I left I made sure it all still worked and it did. Then when I got home him and I played some Garry's Mod a game that his laptop couldn't run well. He noticed the performance difference right away and was happy. He then played TF2 noticed the difference. He was happy. Then yesterday I got home from school. I see a message from skype he sent. He told me that the sparks and smoke started coming from the PSU. He told me he didn't do anything just powered it on when he also got back from school.

He is pretty pissed off at the situation and I feel pretty bad and frustrated. I mean the computer was working fine the two nights before. I told him to remove the PSU completely. He told me also that he opened the PSU. I then said to him it says not to do that. On Friday, I am going to his house to see what I can figure out. I told him I have a spare PSU that we can test. The problem is though the PSU is 320 watts the one powering the computer is 520 watts. I don't think that would be good enough for gaming. I think it will work just to see if there is power. I don't understand though how it was working for the first two days he got it and for the past two months. I suspect it might be because there are no mobo pegs but it operated without any mobo pegs for the last two months. Is it possible that maybe there was a short? Perhaps I screwed the screws in too tight, but I was careful to not? Is the mobo fried and other components? Should I try the spare PSU even though it probably isn't enough watts?

Edit: I forgot to mention. He told me after the smokes and sparks cleared up, there was a smell of silicone.
a c 455 V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 3:29:05 AM

Man, you really need to break that manifesto up with some paragraphs. That was the hardest dang thing to follow.

If you installed a motherboard into a case with no standoffs (that's what they're called), you no doubt shorted the solder traces on the back of the board to ground and fried the PSU... and possibly the board too. It may not have grounded out right away because of the oxidation built up on the traces. But after heat and some movement, it finally made contact. I believe you just learned a valuable lesson the hard way.
m
l
October 24, 2012 6:52:55 PM

clutchc said:
Man, you really need to break that manifesto up with some paragraphs. That was the hardest dang thing to follow.

If you installed a motherboard into a case with no standoffs (that's what they're called), you no doubt shorted the solder traces on the back of the board to ground and fried the PSU... and possibly the board too. It may not have grounded out right away because of the oxidation built up on the traces. But after heat and some movement, it finally made contact. I believe you just learned a valuable lesson the hard way.

Dammit thanks and sorry about the unorganized paragraph. Well I should have known better.
m
l
Related resources
October 24, 2012 7:06:48 PM

i am really surprised it worked for 2 days.
m
l
a c 127 V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 7:21:51 PM

Looks like you learned the hard way why standoffs are important. Unfortunately the system us probably a total loss. Given what happened testing with known good hardware could damage that hardware. Also If it were me I'd give my buddy back the $75.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2012 7:22:32 PM

You can get standoffs at best buy for a whole $6. I think the best thing at this point. Is to give us the specs of the gaming computer u sold. (that way we can determine if the lower watt psu can support the system) once thats determined. If the psu will work. Then get the standoffs. Re-install the mobo and the new psu. And start testing. Not all is lost and as clutchc said. You may get lucky and only burnt the psu up. Hopefully thats all that needs to be replaced.

*edit PS please tell your friend to NOT open the psu. That is a very good way to get him hurt Very Very badly.
m
l
a c 82 V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 7:34:29 PM

Wonder how someone would manage to get a GPU to work on a motherboard without standoffs: the IO slot would be around 3/8" out-of-line with the board which would make seating the card into the motherboard nearly impossible with the card barely touching the slot.

The IO shield would also be impossible to fit without the right standoffs.

If this really is the case here, I'm amazed how people can dare power-on a PC that should look like there is something horribly wrong with how the parts fit.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2012 8:03:25 PM

InvalidError said:
Wonder how someone would manage to get a GPU to work on a motherboard without standoffs: the IO slot would be around 3/8" out-of-line with the board which would make seating the card into the motherboard nearly impossible with the card barely touching the slot.

The IO shield would also be impossible to fit without the right standoffs.

If this really is the case here, I'm amazed how people can dare power-on a PC that should look like there is something horribly wrong with how the parts fit.

Ditto, not sure how this build would have worked without standoffs. I recently had a build with a borrowed I/O bracket that was almost a good fit-but it was off about an 1/8th of an inch. I tried anything I could think of to get it going, but it just wouldn't work; the main problem being the video card just wouldn't seat. I even had some sparking that scared the crap outta me, but nothing got damaged thank God.

I had to move to another case. Its my temporary home until I finish my current mod.

I agree that trying to operate a PC without standoffs is just asking for trouble, it is entirely the OP's fault and he should refund his friend the full amount-- unless he is willing to get a new power supply and completely repair all issues with the PC. Even then, when you build computers for friends and family you are pretty much obligated at that point to be 24/7 tech support.
It's just something that you tacitly agree to when you give/sell a computer to someone you are familiar with. So do what you can to make it right.
m
l
October 24, 2012 9:45:59 PM

I spent the $75 already. He hasn't gotten on skype or steam for some reason. Once he gets back I will notify him of this. I feel like I ripped him off. I am currently broke, but as soon as I get money it will go back to him. The situation sucks.

Edit: We got the GPU in by bending the back as the slot wouldn't go in all the way.

The specs of the computer I sold him are:

AMD Anthon XII Dual Core 3.0 GHz
Raedon 5450 HD
4 GB of RAM (3.8 GB use able)
520 watts PSU <-- That is done now I assume from the sparks

That is all I can remember off the top of my head. I have a spare PSU that is 320 watts. If I just take everything out, then place the mobo on wood, and then plug that PSU just to test it to see if the mobo died or not do I risk any further damage?

m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2012 10:21:23 PM

Justin979271 said:
I spent the $75 already. He hasn't gotten on skype or steam for some reason. Once he gets back I will notify him of this. I feel like I ripped him off. I am currently broke, but as soon as I get money it will go back to him. The situation sucks.

Edit: We got the GPU in by bending the back as the slot wouldn't go in all the way.

The specs of the computer I sold him are:

AMD Anthon XII Dual Core 3.0 GHz
Raedon 5450 HD
4 GB of RAM (3.8 GB use able)
520 watts PSU <-- That is done now I assume from the sparks

That is all I can remember off the top of my head. I have a spare PSU that is 320 watts. If I just take everything out, then place the mobo on wood, and then plug that PSU just to test it to see if the mobo died or not do I risk any further damage?

You should be fine testing that with the 320 watt. Your also fine taking the mobo out and using something that won't conduct static electricity. Make sure your grounded.. I generally rest my arm against the case / psu. Make sure your not on carpet. etc etc. Give it a test and hopefully it's just the psu. Good luck.
m
l
October 24, 2012 10:34:24 PM

unoriginal1 said:
You should be fine testing that with the 320 watt. Your also fine taking the mobo out and using something that won't conduct static electricity. Make sure your grounded.. I generally rest my arm against the case / psu. Make sure your not on carpet. etc etc. Give it a test and hopefully it's just the psu. Good luck.

Yes, thank you everyone. I will try do this.

Edit: Also, wouldn't there be any kind of burn mark or something if the mobo and other components were dead? Or there could be know sign of physical damage?

Another thing, if only the PSU blew and it turns out that all the other components including the mobo were fine and we got luck. Is that enought wattage for him and I to pc game on? Or is it cutting it close and I should just buy him a new PSU?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
October 24, 2012 10:40:48 PM

Justin979271 said:
Yes, thank you everyone. I will try do this.

Edit: Also, wouldn't there be any kind of burn mark or something if the mobo and other components were dead? Or there could be know sign of physical damage?

Could be both. You could very well see scorch marks / blown pieces. Or you may not see anything at all. Just really depends on what went when the psu went.

Just see how it plays when you hook it up. Let us know and we might be able to help determine whats good whats not.
m
l
October 24, 2012 10:48:02 PM

unoriginal1 said:
Could be both. You could very well see scorch marks / blown pieces. Or you may not see anything at all. Just really depends on what went when the psu went.

Just see how it plays when you hook it up. Let us know and we might be able to help determine whats good whats not.

Ok, thanks so much you and everyone else for answering my questions.
m
l
a c 455 V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
a b 4 Gaming
October 25, 2012 12:40:42 AM

If the 320W PSU isn't an El Cheapo, he should be fine (power-wise) with the HD 5450. Or, for that matter, any card that doesn't require a separate PCIe power cable. Good luck with the mobo. Hope the PSU took all the abuse.
m
l
October 25, 2012 2:05:24 AM

clutchc said:
If the 320W PSU isn't an El Cheapo, he should be fine (power-wise) with the HD 5450. Or, for that matter, any card that doesn't require a separate PCIe power cable. Good luck with the mobo. Hope the PSU took all the abuse.

Ok, thanks have a nice day.
m
l
!