Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

730$ build, no more, no exceptions

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 2, 2011 12:42:37 AM

I want to know what you think I should put in a 730$ build. BE SPECIFIC.
Not just the parts. I want to know what Exactly to get and where to get it.
It should include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and headset.
I want to build a budget gaming system and though i know what i want to put in it, i also want to know what the public thinks first. This is also for my personal curiosity




More about : 730 build exceptions

October 2, 2011 5:51:30 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 6:29:27 AM

First of all, Please check the Sticky in the Tom's Hardware "New Build" section. This tells you the information that you must include in order for us to design a build for you. Here is the direct link to the Sticky: LINK

Please edit your request in the specified format.



m
0
l
Related resources
October 2, 2011 3:24:53 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: 700-730$ after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: GAMING, SURFING THE WEB

Required: nothing really

Prefered Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: none

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 or better

Additional Comments: It needs an OK headset, an OK keyboard, and an OK mouse. I'm not big on those things.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE: Don't add windows into the price. I am pulling windows and all my software from my old pc so i can save 100 bucks.

Ukee1503, YOU HAPPY?! :fou: 
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 3:32:40 PM

EDIT

I don't need speakers, a headset will work fine,
and, uh, windows would go into that section too, not the bottom. :whistle: 
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 4:03:43 PM

I think it can be done, but I don't really care for the cheaper monitors in that resolution; you'd be taking some chances.
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 4:21:30 PM

Onus said:
I think it can be done, but I don't really care for the cheaper monitors in that resolution; you'd be taking some chances.

Yeah, for the most part i agree, but...
There's the hanspree 21.5 inch and it's got 5 egg reviews on newegg but if you got somethng better to chew on i'd like to know about it.
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 4:54:05 PM

Ok, here's what I came up with. If your budget needs to include shipping, I may have busted it, although most items have free shipping, and there is at least one rebate in there, if you play that game and win. Please consider this an example; I'm a little uneasy about recommending some of these parts.

Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Model #:EA-500D Green
Item #:N82E16817371035
$89.99 -$30.00 Instant $59.99
Now this PSU is solid, I WOULD recommend this one. Definitely up to the job.

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:H61M/U3S3
Item #:N82E16813157236
$79.99 -$10.00 Instant $69.99
Has SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0, but I'm not sure much else. I do like ASRock mobos though, having never had any trouble out of them.

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
Model #:CHALLENGER
Item #:N82E16811147153
$59.99 -$10.00 Instant $49.99
Ok, I like this case too. It comes with three fans, and they are quiet. For another $20 I think, you can get the new version of this case that has USB 3.0 ports on it.

SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Model #:100314-3L
Item #:N82E16814102948
$169.99 $169.99
Not much to say here, except that your budget pretty well sets this as your upper limit. I'd buy this card.

Hanns_G HL227DBB 21.5" LED monitor 5ms Full HD 250 cd/m2 X-Contrast 15,000,000:1
Model #:HL227DBB
Item #:N82E16824254058
$169.99 -$50.00 Instant $119.99
Dicey; depends on how much of a gambler you are. At least it isn't like a cheap PSU that can kill other parts if it isn't good enough.

Logitech MK120 Black USB Wired Slim Desktop
Model #:920-002565
Item #:N82E16823126097
$21.99 -$2.00 Instant $19.99
Should be decent, if a little cheap. I really like mice with tilt wheels on them for gaming.

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100
Model #:BX80623I32100
Item #:N82E16819115078
$124.99 $124.99
This was actually one of my toughest calls. An AMD build would be right around this budget too, and would give you four real cores but would likely still be a little slower. Either way, there are tradeoffs, and again your budget sets limits here.

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
Model #:F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
Item #:N82E16820231396
$25.99 $25.99
8GB would be nice, but 4GB is enough, and I've already stretched your budget to its limit. I've never had to return a G.Skill stick, whether DOA or RMA; they just work.

Rosewill Audio Pro RHM-6308 USB Connector Circumaural Gaming Headset
Model #:RHM-6308
Item #:N82E16826193055
$39.99 -$15.00 Instant $24.99
I am The Wrong Person to pick audio components, as I'm deaf in one ear. This looked a little nicer than the purely "chat" headsets, and was still inexpensive.

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:ST500DM002
Item #:N82E16822148767
$44.99 $44.99
This drive should be decent. It's their newer one, and I haven't seen any reliability data on it, but I haven't read a lot of complaints, and my personal sample of one is running just fine.

Subtotal: $710.90

I think this will bust your $730 budget with shipping, but you'd probably make it back on at least one rebate.
While I'm a little uneasy about some of the parts, and the compromises, I don't think the build sucks. The parts I'd choose might differ a little if I knew you definitely planned to upgrade any of it in 3-6 months, or if I knew you were going to epoxy the case closed and never open it again (well, you'd have a dust problem eventually...). There's no aftermarket cooler, although a Core i3 doesn't OC so your only likely complaint might be noise.
Anyway, there was my shot at it.
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 6:14:54 PM

^ Couldn't have made a better build. And OP how are you going to extract Windows7 from your old computer? :o 
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 6:55:56 PM

Outlander, that would have been my suggestion for an AMD build, specifically including an AM3+ socket. I don't know that it is necessarily "better," as it would lose quite a few benchmarks to the i3, but I would agree that the mobo probably makes it more future-resistant.

Edit: ...and I specifically did avoid the shortfalls of the very poorly-chosen mobo from the June $500 i3 build.
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 9:23:27 PM

Onus said:
Outlander, that would have been my suggestion for an AMD build, specifically including an AM3+ socket. I don't know that it is necessarily "better," as it would lose quite a few benchmarks to the i3, but I would agree that the mobo probably makes it more future-resistant.

Edit: ...and I specifically did avoid the shortfalls of the very poorly-chosen mobo from the June $500 i3 build.


I know there are benchmarks on some sites that show the 13 2100 spanking the phenom 955 .
But the Toms $500 build shows exactly the opposite . The cores of the phenom may be individually weaker , but there are twice as many and in the real world that makes the difference in all the application benchmarks .
Yes you have to OC the phenom to match [ and then exceed] the i3 2100 in gaming , but this is a simple change in BIOS that a system builder will have to become familiar with anyway

When you include the mb change , there is the right amount left for the peripherals so I think its a great match for the OP's budget requirements

Right now the intels advantage is probably only heat , noise and power consumption
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 12:20:59 AM

Onus said:
Ok, here's what I came up with. If your budget needs to include shipping, I may have busted it, although most items have free shipping, and there is at least one rebate in there, if you play that game and win. Please consider this an example; I'm a little uneasy about recommending some of these parts.

Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Model #:EA-500D Green
Item #:N82E16817371035
$89.99 -$30.00 Instant $59.99
Now this PSU is solid, I WOULD recommend this one. Definitely up to the job.

ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Model #:H61M/U3S3
Item #:N82E16813157236
$79.99 -$10.00 Instant $69.99
Has SATA 6GB/s and USB 3.0, but I'm not sure much else. I do like ASRock mobos though, having never had any trouble out of them.

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm ...
Model #:CHALLENGER
Item #:N82E16811147153
$59.99 -$10.00 Instant $49.99
Ok, I like this case too. It comes with three fans, and they are quiet. For another $20 I think, you can get the new version of this case that has USB 3.0 ports on it.

SAPPHIRE 100314-3L Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Model #:100314-3L
Item #:N82E16814102948
$169.99 $169.99
Not much to say here, except that your budget pretty well sets this as your upper limit. I'd buy this card.

Hanns_G HL227DBB 21.5" LED monitor 5ms Full HD 250 cd/m2 X-Contrast 15,000,000:1
Model #:HL227DBB
Item #:N82E16824254058
$169.99 -$50.00 Instant $119.99
Dicey; depends on how much of a gambler you are. At least it isn't like a cheap PSU that can kill other parts if it isn't good enough.

Logitech MK120 Black USB Wired Slim Desktop
Model #:920-002565
Item #:N82E16823126097
$21.99 -$2.00 Instant $19.99
Should be decent, if a little cheap. I really like mice with tilt wheels on them for gaming.

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100
Model #:BX80623I32100
Item #:N82E16819115078
$124.99 $124.99
This was actually one of my toughest calls. An AMD build would be right around this budget too, and would give you four real cores but would likely still be a little slower. Either way, there are tradeoffs, and again your budget sets limits here.

G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
Model #:F3-10666CL9D-4GBNS
Item #:N82E16820231396
$25.99 $25.99
8GB would be nice, but 4GB is enough, and I've already stretched your budget to its limit. I've never had to return a G.Skill stick, whether DOA or RMA; they just work.

Rosewill Audio Pro RHM-6308 USB Connector Circumaural Gaming Headset
Model #:RHM-6308
Item #:N82E16826193055
$39.99 -$15.00 Instant $24.99
I am The Wrong Person to pick audio components, as I'm deaf in one ear. This looked a little nicer than the purely "chat" headsets, and was still inexpensive.

Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Model #:ST500DM002
Item #:N82E16822148767
$44.99 $44.99
This drive should be decent. It's their newer one, and I haven't seen any reliability data on it, but I haven't read a lot of complaints, and my personal sample of one is running just fine.

Subtotal: $710.90

I think this will bust your $730 budget with shipping, but you'd probably make it back on at least one rebate.
While I'm a little uneasy about some of the parts, and the compromises, I don't think the build sucks. The parts I'd choose might differ a little if I knew you definitely planned to upgrade any of it in 3-6 months, or if I knew you were going to epoxy the case closed and never open it again (well, you'd have a dust problem eventually...). There's no aftermarket cooler, although a Core i3 doesn't OC so your only likely complaint might be noise.
Anyway, there was my shot at it.

Thanks i though the i3 would be just out of my phenom quad budget i'll look at that and see where that extra money came from
(i think the case, i was going to get an antec 900)
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 12:35:28 AM

I forget again!
I don't need a dvd/cd drive!
i'm not extracting anything. I'm moving my hard drive from my old comp to my new one. But i still need a hdd for my old comp (for a linux server). so i don't need a driv to install windows.
I was thinking of:
athlon x3 unlocked to a phenom quad
Gigabyte 6870 (triple fan design)
msi 880gm-e41
antec 900 plus rosewill rfa-120-bl
ocz modxstream pro 600w
and the rest of what jtt283 said
However the end of summer sales are ending so that may quickly change.



But anyways thanks
I HAD NO IDEA YOU COULD PUT A 6870 in that budget!!!!!
I was going to get a 5830!
Can you believe that!
(I know they're not on Newegg)
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 12:47:58 AM

One more thing for the night...
In the chosen 500 dollar build I have 2 problems:
One i plan to do SERIOUS overclocking to the graphics card so the case isn't enough for me.
And two the hdd is out of stock (I know, it made me cry too when it happened :(  )
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 1:49:26 AM

The Challenger has excellent cooling, and with the money you save on the optical drive, you can add more fans to it.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 7:52:18 PM

Onus said:
The Challenger has excellent cooling, and with the money you save on the optical drive, you can add more fans to it.

I thought you could add only one side fan-
I need to do a little more research, I guess.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 8:29:23 PM

Would a 400w psu really power a 6870.
I know you CAN but I really think it would be pushing it.
Plus i plan to keep this for about 4 1/2 years with modest upgrades and higher wattage psu's tend to last longer than an equivelant less wattage psu when running at the same output.

And i don't want to have to upgrade my psu when i add a second vid card.
I have the same problem with the mobo.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 8:34:56 PM

There's a 500W PSU in the build I posted, not 400W; furthermore the Earthwatts PSUs are underrated, so it is actually good for a little more than that.
If you are definitely planning Crossfire though, you may want 650W.
To get a mobo that can do Crossfire at x8,x8 though, you're likely looking at an AMD build instead.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:07:14 PM

how about this, since you don't need a DVD:

Rosewill R102 Micro ATX case: $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
don't let the small size fool you! its wide enough to take the massive heatsink and powerful video card listed below

Seagate 1 TB HDD: $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EVGA GTX 560 + Free Batman: $184.99 w/ $10 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
at 8.5" it fits in this case

Corsair CX500 v2 500W 80+ PSU: $59.99 w/ $10 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
more than enough PSU for the video card and overclocking

G.skill 8 GB DDR3-1333: $41.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AS rock Z68 micro ATX mobo: $94.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Only 1 GPU slot, but see options after this.

i5-2500K CPU: $219.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Coolermaster Hyper 212+: $26.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Yes, if you remove the shroud, this massive fan will fit in the micro ATX case!

Rosewill 120mm blue LED fan: $7.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
this will go in the front of the case.

total $726.91

solid speed and overclocking.

by abandoning overclocking (-$26.99 to remove the heat sink) you can get a MSI micro ATX board with 8x/8x for $119.99 (+15)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and upgrading to the 600W corsair (+10)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

this would give you the overhead to add a second 560 later.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:13:01 PM

Well I WANT crossfire but am not tied to it.
For no crossfire I was thinking the MSI 880gm-e41
With crossfire I was thinking the MSI NF750-g55
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:15:37 PM

If you desire a high OC on your graphics card(s), I'm not sure that micro-ATX case has enough cooling.

Edit: Oh, and Screwy, his budget needs to include the monitor, mouse, and kbd; and a headset.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:21:23 PM

My current preferred specs are:

Rosewill CHALLENGER + 2x Rosewill RFA-120-BL
Athlon x3 450 - unlocked to phenom x4 945 w/ mobo and Rosewill RCX-Z1 (Though it's not black edition)
MSI 880GM-E41 OC and Unlocking
G.SKILL NS 4gb (2 x 2gb) 1333
XFX HD-695X-ZNDC (6950! :)  )
APEVIA ATX-AS680W-BL
Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002



Note that these may and will change depending on what deals are available when I buy the parts.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:22:46 PM

Onus said:
If you desire a high OC on your graphics card(s), I'm not sure that micro-ATX case has enough cooling.

Edit: Oh, and Screwy, his budget needs to include the monitor, mouse, and kbd; and a headset.


IT'S A MOTHERBOARD!!!!
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:35:21 PM

I lean AMD-wards but since I play a lot of Just Cause 2 (made in partnership with nvidia, for nvidia), I may benefit from nVidia graphics over AMD, though i suspect that the 6950, 560, 560 ti and the 6870 can all play it on fully maxed out settings and keep the fps atleast above 30 fps.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:37:10 PM

That Apevia PSU is GARBAGE. I've never read a positive competent technical review of ANY of their PSUs, and most burn or melt when loaded. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. An Antec Earthwatts or Corsair Builder will likely be your least expensive quality option.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:41:47 PM

Yeah I had a Apevia PSU and it died after 3 years. It lasted awhile and it was more than enough watts to power my PC but I got random skips or lag that lasted about 4 seconds every minute when I played video games. I dont know if thats because of the PSU or what.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:44:49 PM

Well the psu itself has gotten good ratings and it's only 50 bucks.
I would've gotten the modxstream pro 600w for the same price but the sale ended. and it's now 10 bucks up but i think i can fit that into my budget. Why not?
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:48:26 PM

With the modxstream pro 500w my total is $726.87 (including peripherals)
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:50:37 PM

Phrosty said:
Yeah I had a Apevia PSU and it died after 3 years. It lasted awhile and it was more than enough watts to power my PC but I got random skips or lag that lasted about 4 seconds every minute when I played video games. I dont know if thats because of the PSU or what.

I really don't know how that could be psu related at all.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:51:47 PM

Consumer fluff and competent technical reviews are two entirely different things.
The ModXstream has gotten good technical reviews. It isn't enough for two HD6870s though, if that's still your plan.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 10:57:16 PM

Onus said:
Consumer fluff and competent technical reviews are two entirely different things.
The ModXstream has gotten good technical reviews. It isn't enough for two HD6870s though, if that's still your plan.

I'm actually thinking I'll stick with one 6950 and be happy.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 11:19:16 PM

Ok then, 500W should be enough. I believe the Earthwatts is higher quality than the ModXStream. As much as I like modular PSUs, you'll be using both video cables anyway, so you won't have a lot of excess to stash.
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 11:21:00 PM

lemme rethink the i5-build with monitor keyboard mouse and headset then.

Here is try #2, much of it is unchanged from before:

Rosewill R102 Micro ATX case: $29.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the 2 120mm fans in thsi short case REALLY move a lot of air. my stock 2400 never hits higher than 44C.

Rosewill 120MM Blue LED Fan
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate 1 TB HDD: $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HIS HD 6850 + DiRT 3: $144.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Good enough for 1920x1080 on Ultra for MOST games, and HIGH for any that aren't.

G.skill 8 GB DDR3-1333: $41.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Xigmatek PC402 Power Supply: $35.95
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This got a very favorable review here on Toms in October 2010, holding a 625W load before failing safely and starting right back up!

AS Rock H61M/U3S3: $69.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
If you arent going to overclock or RAID, and don't mind DDR3-1333, theres no reason to get anything more expensive than this. No Crossfire/SLI either, but you do have 2 SATA II and 2 USB3 ports!

i5-2400: $189.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
loses only 2-5 FPS to a 2500, so plenty for any purpose

Acer 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor: $129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Acer is very solid.

Rosewill 104-key Keyboard. PS/2 port. $9.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
this one has free shipping, and I have a 10-year old Rosewill keyboard that still works great.

Rosewill 3-button mouse: $6.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Connectland Circumaural stereo headset with Mic: $3.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cheap, but should get the job done.

total $725.84
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 12:25:52 AM

Hmmm, stronger CPU, weaker GPU than my original i3 build...it would suit me and my mostly older games very well, but I'll leave it to the OP to decide. Take the DVD burner out of mine, step down the case and PSU to yours, and you might still fit the HD6870 into it. I'm not sure about the audio components, but the Newegg reviews of a $4 headset don't look too promising. I don't doubt the Acer monitor is a safer choice, but how much so I can't tell.
It's a tight budget, which makes it quite a challenge.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 2:02:00 AM

the 6870 doesn't physically fit in my case. 9.25" cards or less, and all the 6870s are 9.4-10" long. there are 8.25" GTX 560/560ti cards (Zotac, PNY, Asus single fan), but can't get that and the monitor
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 10:08:10 AM

The Rosewill Challenger should take a 10" GPU without any problems.

(I've got to admit, that sentence looks a little odd)
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 2:00:16 PM

Onus said:
The Rosewill Challenger should take a 10" GPU without any problems.

(I've got to admit, that sentence looks a little odd)



depends how dirty your mind is. :whistle:  :o 

yeah, the R101/102 can't handle long video cards...but it will take a hyper 212 or Tuniq tower oversized heat sink without complaint. And since the 560ti FITS in that space, there isn't really much complaint (other than why aren't 6870s the same length?), and a 6850 is no slouch.
m
0
l
October 5, 2011 1:42:02 AM

Onus said:
Ok then, 500W should be enough. I believe the Earthwatts is higher quality than the ModXStream. As much as I like modular PSUs, you'll be using both video cables anyway, so you won't have a lot of excess to stash.

Well the price is what got in the way of that.
I have planned out my monthly budget and 730$ is what i fit in and i'm trying to stick to it.
However, I may save even more money and go with a 560 ti instead because of the shader cores.
I don't play a lot of DX11 so the extra shader effects in older games used to make up for the lack of polygons will suposedly run better on gpu's with dedicated shader cores.
Plus as i mentioned earlier I play a LOT of JC2 which will highly benefit from NVIDIA cards since it was suposedly designed for them.
m
0
l
November 3, 2011 1:05:29 AM

well, since some extra unforeseen delays have come in the way of building my computer, extra money has slipped into my pocket.

I am currently looking at including a Phenom x4 955 with dual 6850's.
Is there any chance that a phenom x4 would bottle neck two 6850's and whether the same would be true with a phenom x6 instead
m
0
l

Best solution

November 3, 2011 8:49:56 AM

A faster X4 will generally perform as well or better than a X6 in games.
Share
November 29, 2011 7:23:54 PM

I've decided on:
gigabyte 990FX
x4 960t
2x 6850
4gb 1333
ocz zs 650w
Rosewill Armor
500gb
Razer orca
gigabyte k6800
gigabyte m6800
m
0
l
!