Sign in with
Your question

Problem with new sound card

Last response: in Components
January 2, 2012 5:35:23 PM

Today i bought the rocketfish 7.1 PCI sound card. After doing the installation with the drivers only,(not the control panel). I plugged in my speakers excited to see what they would sound like. I picked a song i wished to hear at the moment and.. nothing. Did i by chance do something wrong in the installation?

More about : problem sound card

January 2, 2012 5:54:38 PM

Disable your old integrated sound in Control Panel and make sure you have the right output selected. Also, what convinced you to get a discrete card?
January 2, 2012 5:59:17 PM

Disabling in BIOS?
Related resources
January 2, 2012 6:07:00 PM

kajabla said:
Disable your old integrated sound in Control Panel and make sure you have the right output selected. Also, what convinced you to get a discrete card?

I live in an area without much for selection. Im not a keen person and i didnt want to wait i just wanted it to get done, but it was either this or a plug in usb for 12$ so i took a chance with this card.
January 2, 2012 6:37:36 PM

First, check the Windows Control Panel -> Sounds tab and make sure the default audio output device is set to the soundcard. My guess is the onboard is still the system default, but you can switch easily enough.

There is NEVER a reason why you should have to totally disable the onboard audio...
January 2, 2012 6:51:45 PM

The reason could be to make sure the sound card's selected :D 
I mean that integrated sound works perfectly well, and a sound card is rarely justified.
!