Witless_34

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hello. I recently built a computer. It has an SSD (Corsair Force 60GB SSD Drive), a HDD (samsung spinpoint F3 1TB SATA II 3.5" HDD), and a motherboard (Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Intel X58 Chipset LGA1366 USB3.0) and all the rest, on windows 7, 64 bit.

Truth is I've never seen the HDD in action but similarly I've never tried connecting with it and only it. The computer was built a while ago and the 60GB was plenty for me but very recently I've started to need to exceed it. So I've tried making the HDD work to no avail. It's just not listed in my hard drives. One thing it does do, however, is in the hardware part of the control panel it is listed as one of the devices of my computer. But nothing else, and there's next to no data when I click that. I.. also may have uninstalled it with the hopes of reinstalling it. However I did not realise that wasn't a click away so... Yeah.

Does anyone have any insight to this mess?

halcyon

Splendid

It does sound like you need to format the drive:

Right-click Computer-->Manage-->Storage-->Disk Management

...you should see your drive, perhaps as Disk 1 (Disk 0 may be your OS boot drive, leave it alone). Now, take a look at your 1TB HDD and notice whether or not you see that is say NTFS on it.

If it doesn't, right-click-->Format-->select NTFS... and the drive will format.

Be cautious not to select your C: drive.

Petrofsky

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
I don't know Windows 7, but in Vista you have to allocate the drive first. Go into ControlPanel / AdministrativeTools / ComputerManagement / DiskManagement. Your HDD should show in a list at the bottom. Right-click in the space to its right, and choose "New Simple Volume". A wizard will open that lets you assign a drive letter, among other things. If you want the data that's on the drive, choose not to format when the wizard asks, and see if that works. I've never not formatted, so I don't know what will happen.

TRENDING THREADS