High Pitched Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

forresttrenaman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I don't know weather this started recently or whether it has just started to bug me. I just had the chicken pocks which can apparently effect your hearing, so it might just be that I am now sensitive to rely high pitched noises.

The noise from my computer is the same as the noise that comes from a CRT TV

I don't have any speakers plugged into the computer, so that is also ruled out.

I have also unplugged all the fans and hard drives from my computer and I can still hear the noise.

Specs

GA-870a-UD3 Mobo
12GB G.Skill DDR3 Ram
3.1Ghz Phenom x4 AMD Processor with cooler master heat sink
9800GT Graphics Card with arctic cooling heat sink
60GB OCZ SSD
2x 500GB Seagate HD
LG DVD Burner
D-Link Ethernet Card
Antec 500w PSU
Antec Case

Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
Pull the power supply out and run it. PSUs will sometimes make noises like that. If it's not the PSU it could be the motherboard, check the capacitors for any signs of damage.

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Pull the power supply out and run it. PSUs will sometimes make noises like that. If it's not the PSU it could be the motherboard, check the capacitors for any signs of damage.

Solution

forresttrenaman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Thanks for the quick reply, I just pulled the graphics card and the noise stopped.

And when the graphics card is in the computer and the computer starts up the noise fluctuates as the start up screens flash by; so the graphics card does make sense.

I am ready to order a 6850 tonight, is that a wise choice for a new card, I don't want to spend a penny over $150, and as it is that card will come in at ~$145 shipped.
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58225&vpn=GV-R685OC-1GD&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1301

Thanks.

AM2A

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
For some reason I was thinking that the gpu was disabled, (probably because the fan was off :) ). It's just getting a little old.
the 6850 is a very good choice in that price range.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
For $150, I'd say you made a good choice. You might be able to get a really cheap 6870 for $150 or a little under after a mail-in rebate, but I never make plans around actually getting the rebate back, and would encourage you to do the same. Gigabyte makes a good card and an HD 6850 should give you quite a performance boost.

forresttrenaman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Cool, thanks, I did have a look at the 6870, but NCIX does not sell it, and I want to buy from that place because they have $9.99 shipping, and it will arrive in 1-2 days because they are close by.

Status
Not open for further replies.