Sign in with
Your question

Is AMD Phenom II discontinued?

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2012 7:46:29 PM

Will i be able to find phenom ii x4 955 in local PC stores or on the internet in 2 weeks? Is it true AMD discontinued phenom ii?
a c 159 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 2, 2012 7:59:05 PM

Still looking. Looks like some old articles, so my initial response would be negative.
January 2, 2012 8:13:21 PM

:o 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2012 8:17:32 PM

I searched a few places(in Canada) - limited stock. I wouldn't wait too long.
-Bruce
January 2, 2012 8:20:03 PM

4eyed said:
Will i be able to find phenom ii x4 955 in local PC stores or on the internet in 2 weeks? Is it true AMD discontinued phenom ii?

Deneb which is Phenom II x4 955/965/970/980 etc is being phased out for the slightly lower performance but higher core count Thuban x6 that being said Thuban is the same as Deneb just under a different name and two more cores added with an overall lower TDP. Grab a Phenom II x6 1055t disable two of its 6 cores and clock it to 3.2ghz and you have the same CPU as a Phenom II x4 955. Deneb still is and was AMDs best Phenom II CPU so if you have to wait two weeks I am sure there will still be stock of 955s but they will dry up eventually.
a c 478 à CPUs
a c 121 À AMD
January 3, 2012 6:52:14 AM

The rumor has been floating around for about a month.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-cpu-apu-athlon-phe...

I would say the rumors are true. Typically when AMD (video cards too) or Intel releases (nVidia for video cards) releases a new CPU, they stop producing older CPUs. Because the Bulldozer series is not much of an improvement over Phenom II in all categories and it uses more power, many people are buying the left stock of Phenom II CPUs.

It you really want a Phenom II CPU, then buy it before they are gone.
January 4, 2012 8:13:49 PM

Phenom II CPUs are completely vanished from New Zealand and most of Australia..
Right in the midst of when I was building a Thuban based rig >:( 
January 4, 2012 8:17:40 PM

I still am not sure why people don't like the FX series. I think they are a a step upward from the Phenom II series.

If you are looking for a Phenom II x4 955, you should just pick up the new 4 core FX-4100.
January 4, 2012 8:28:07 PM

rocknrollz said:
I still am not sure why people don't like the FX series. I think they are a a step upward from the Phenom II series.

If you are looking for a Phenom II x4 955, you should just pick up the new 4 core FX-4100.

The FX series is beast just the price could have been more competitive for the 8150 with the 2500K because it is ever bit as much a power house as the 2500K. Sadly the Propaganda made it seem like AMD FX series was worse than it real is but really they are quite good CPUs.
January 4, 2012 10:21:57 PM

Oh i already have the fx-4100 but ppl say that P II x4 955 is better so i thought that i should return my bulldozer and buy the phenom. Btw. i like my bulldozer, the performance is pretty good for the price.
January 4, 2012 10:30:52 PM

4eyed said:
Oh i already have the fx-4100 but ppl say that P II x4 955 is better so i thought that i should return my bulldozer and buy the phenom. Btw. i like my bulldozer, the performance is pretty good for the price.

I think the performance is about the same but it will get better on the fx4100 whereas the Phenom II x4 has achieved its prime.
January 4, 2012 10:36:18 PM

Cool! Nice to know i didn't waste my money.
January 4, 2012 10:50:44 PM

4eyed said:
Cool! Nice to know i didn't waste my money.

up until a few days ago i fell victim to the AMD BD bashing brigade until I actually did some research on it and found out that all in all they are an good advancement and investment over the Phenom IIs and the 8150fx is every bit as powerful as 2500K enough said.
a b à CPUs
February 26, 2012 6:12:25 PM

Headspin_69 said:
up until a few days ago i fell victim to the AMD BD bashing brigade until I actually did some research on it and found out that all in all they are an good advancement and investment over the Phenom IIs and the 8150fx is every bit as powerful as 2500K enough said.

I think it depends on the way you measure "power". I you were to measure "power" as far as the speed, efficiancy, and the overall work done per clock on each core then the i5 2500k is in an entirely different league than the FX. I would dare say %30 more powerful at the very least.

But if you were to measure it in terms of core count; or performance on a multi threaded level then the FX wins. However not by very much. Not very much at all. You get %100 more cores with %5 more performance in multi threaded situations.

All in all I would say for someone who already has an AM3+ board to go ahead and pick up that BullDozer.. But building a new system the average user would get more performance from a 2500k. With that said I think FX are good cpu's. AMD will come out with different revisions and tweeks to the architecture that will improve performance. By how much who knows. It will have to be by quite a bit to compete with IVY
February 26, 2012 10:20:32 PM

bigj1985 said:
I think it depends on the way you measure "power". I you were to measure "power" as far as the speed, efficiancy, and the overall work done per clock on each core then the i5 2500k is in an entirely different league than the FX. I would dare say %30 more powerful at the very least.

But if you were to measure it in terms of core count; or performance on a multi threaded level then the FX wins. However not by very much. Not very much at all. You get %100 more cores with %5 more performance in multi threaded situations.

All in all I would say for someone who already has an AM3+ board to go ahead and pick up that BullDozer.. But building a new system the average user would get more performance from a 2500k. With that said I think FX are good cpu's. AMD will come out with different revisions and tweeks to the architecture that will improve performance. By how much who knows. It will have to be by quite a bit to compete with IVY

Who cares if Ivy is better it will be more expensive and 2500K is still overkill LOL to bad the new Ivy will not come with a faster brain for it's owner so then they will realizes that they got scammed LOL.
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 26, 2012 11:22:32 PM

You don't know anything boopoo :non: 
February 26, 2012 11:36:47 PM

amuffin said:

TROLL ^^^^^
February 26, 2012 11:44:06 PM

amuffin said:

Then please explain to me instead of trolling me on how IVY being a bit faster and more expensive than say an i5 2500K is going to dramatically improve the average joe's end users experience without being money down the drain because there old i5 2500K was still kick ass aplenty.
February 27, 2012 12:07:57 AM

amuffin said:
Ivy is going to be %15 faster and be the exact same price. http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2011/2011121902_Prices_of...

See I just am not at all looking to troll but I just do not see the need when an SB i5 2500K is still enough for most and really most are not even reaching the outer limits of what the SB 2500K CPUs can accomplish therfore right now an small 15% boost is a small boost unneeded or used we need software to catch up to hardware first.
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2012 12:08:45 AM

I hope they all don't sell out too fast but if you are able to purchase off Amazon you can get some decent models of the Phenom 2 often including the x6!
a b à CPUs
February 27, 2012 12:28:14 AM

Boopoo said:
See I just am not at all looking to troll but I just do not see the need when an SB i5 2500K is still enough for most and really most are not even reaching the outer limits of what the SB 2500K CPUs can accomplish therfore right now an small 15% boost is a small boost unneeded or used we need software to catch up to hardware first.

Here's a couple of questions for you. Why would you buy a slower CPU (Bulldozer, Phenom II) when a faster, more efficient one is available in the same price range? Why would you buy a previous generation CPU (i5-2500) when a new one is faster (even if its just 15%) for the same price? Regardless of whether you think you could fully use its power or not, it seems nuts to not get the best you can for your budget. Its like not buying the best product of any kind (automobile, tablet PC, television, washing machine) when both it and a lesser model are in the same price range. Only a fool would do that.

O.P., if you have your heart set on a Phenom II why not get an X4 970, 975, or 980? They're still for sale at most websites.
!