CPU overheating problem but cant figure out why

richard53184

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I am having an issue with my new pc i ordered a I7 2600k + Asus P8h61m. It's been about 2 months and a few days ago the fan on my cpu started going really fast so i went into the bios and it is showing my CPU temp at 87 degrees Celsius IDLE. I cant figure this out because i downloaded a few monitoring programs like real temp and core temp and they are showing that my pc cores are at around 40 degrees Celsius but the CPU fan is still running fast so its loud and annoying. Can someone please help me out and direct me what i need to do is it that the motherboard is reading it wrong? I really want to make it so its fixed and it goes back to running fan at a slower speed so it isnt so loud.

Go into the bios and use the smartfan setting; some have to be calibrated. Then I set it to "quiet" mode after calibrating. My board always has a high pitched noise with the cpu fan until "quiet fan" kicks in at the post screen. And if all else fails, I press on each corner of the cpu heatsink and see if one "clicks" to indicate an unseated heatsink. Or you can turn the board over and see if all the plastic tabs that stick out for the heatsink are even.

richard53184

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
its the one with the pins put on then they twist so they lock and they are all locked in place. They are sticking out but they cannot be pushed in they are just twisted to lock in place.

fb39ca4

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011
The stock heatsink?
I had an aftermarket one where I forgot to remove the plastic from the bottom so the i5 2500k went to 90C load, but I don't see how someone can screw up like this on the stock one. I would get some new thermal paste and remount the thing.

Thats your problem right there. you have to push them in fairly hard, read the installation guide or look up a youtube video about how to install the heatsink properly.

donkeywax

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
i see you have asus mother board if you go into epu, there are several power saving modes, if you select auto it turns everything down until you need it,
including the speed of your cpu fan,
dont know if it will help though if theres another problem,
it makes a big difference to volume of mine though

richard53184

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
I have done all of the above and it still reading CPU temparture at around 80 degrees celsius and all my 3rd party apps are reading core tempartures between 40 - 50 degrees so i have no idea what is going on. In the middle of playing skyrim last night and the fan automatically slowed down and i have no idea why. I guess ill call someone.

Why call someone? If the true temp were 80c, you'd be getting error messages or shutdowns. I would carefully touch the base of the heatsink. If it doesn't burn your finger, then you should be fine. Or remount the stock heatsink. It works ok; cheaper than calling someone.