Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer shutdown after 30 minutes of gaming

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2011 5:12:44 PM

Hi there, new to the forum, i just had a quick question about a recent build i just completed. I have looked through quite a few forums and Im pretty sure i already know whats wrong but having a second opinion doesn't hurt.

I recently built a computer and seem to be having an issue with it shutting down after about 20-30 mins of playing a game. I have been testing it on starcraft 2 and it happens very consistently. I can run the computer all day and not have any issues as long as im not playing a game.

It is not a over heating issue. My processor does not get over 39 degrees and the gpu does not pass 55 degrees. Im almost positive this is a power supply issue.

in case it matters here are the specs for the build

phenom II x6 1090t
asus m5a97 mobo
xfx radeaon 6870
4Gx2|GSKILL F3-12800 1600mhz

PSU ROSEWILL|RX750-S-B 750W RT - i believe that is the culprit.

Also- one of the main reasons i think it is the psu is that i have to unplug the power cord and plug it back in before the computer is able to start again.

has anyone else experienced an issue like this?
is their someway i can test the psu while underload to see if it is the component that is failing?
any help would be appreciated - thanks
October 2, 2011 5:20:58 PM

You could try a power supply tester found at any local computer store, it tests the power supply for overvoltage/undervoltageing. Otherwise it could be a temperature related issue, what program are you using to monitor temperatures? Because those temps sound like idle temps not full load temps.
m
l
October 2, 2011 5:27:57 PM

I am using core temp 1.0 rc1 found at this link
http://downloads.guru3d.com/CoreTemp-1.0-RC1-download-2...
for the cpu monitoring. My idle temps are around 25 degrees, well that's what they currently show.

I use msi afterburner for my gpu and it idles at around 39-40.

i have 5 120mm fans and the gpu has 2 fans on it as well.
m
l
Related resources
October 2, 2011 7:15:35 PM

update-
I Found that after it crashes, the only way to turn it back on is to unplug the powercord from the back of the psu and plug it back in. if i just try to unplug it from the wall and plug it back in it seems to make no change.

Its like by unplugging the cord from the psu and plugging it back in resets some kind of breaker switch that cuts off the psu. Is their any programs that anyone knows of for monitoring psu temps?
after it shuts down i can feel the psu and it is cool to the touch. so im not thinking it is an overheating issue though.
m
l
October 2, 2011 9:35:41 PM

You could stick a temperature monitor in there by hand by buying one. Otherwise programs that show you temps only read from sensors built into the motherboard/gpu. The psu doesn't have one that im aware of.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 2, 2011 10:09:17 PM

I have had these exact symptoms, I am quite sure it is your PSU. Although this particular unit does get favorable reviews, I would steer clear of Rosewill units myself. Have owned a couple in the past, and they didn't last long, and I had all sorts of quirky problems that vanished when I replace them with higher end, albeit more expensive units.
October 2, 2011 11:42:53 PM

thanks for the replies. im going to try switching out PSUs and ill tell you guys how it goes
m
l
October 3, 2011 12:27:14 AM

its either a temperature issue or a psu issue. Rosewill mostly make crap PSU's so I suspect that would be the cause.
m
l
October 3, 2011 2:47:43 AM

Alright. So i went to bestbuy because it was the only place open and i cant wait another day to game on my build! and I picked up a Corsair - Gaming Series 700-Watt ATX CPU Power Supply. I had read a few reviews online and overall people said they perform well. plus if anything happens and can just drive down the street to replace vs sending in a RMA. It cost about 115 but i cant complain. I ran SC2 again for a little over an hour and everything worked out great. no shutting down or anything. Temps are all the same pretty much 37 cpu. and 58 gpu. I am using core temp and i have heard that sometimes does read low so maybe im closer to 47.

Overall i am pleased with the corsair but only time will tell. My only complaint is that the corsaid only has 2 6pin pcie vs the roseweill had 4. but anyways, I will be shipping the rosewill back to Newegg for a refund.

thanks for everyone's input
m
l
October 10, 2011 12:42:55 AM

Best answer selected by svons7.
m
l
!