Sign in with
Your question

Does the MOBO really affect gaming performance?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 6:53:00 AM

Hello members!

I posted a thread not many days ago, about choosing the GPU to my new gaming rig. Well now I also have come in doubt about which MOBO I am going to choose.

The expensive Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Socket 1155

The cheap Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H Socket 1155

I won't be overclocking the GPU which is the GTX 660, and I won't neither be overclocking the CPU which is i5-3570 (non k version).

So would the expensive MOBO really affect my gaming experience compared to the cheap one, and which one would you recommend?
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 7:16:24 AM

No. In general, a motherboard has no tangible effect on performance (gaming or otherwise).

The performance comes from the CPU, RAM, GPU, and HDD/SSD. The motherboard just provides a way for them all to communicate with each other.

Now, the motherboard could become a bottleneck if you wanted to use more than one GPU and the second x16 PCIe slot was only able to run at x4 speed (only Crossfire, in this situation), but that's a very specific problem that would have no effect on anything but gaming with two GPU's in Crossfire (SLI can't even be enabled if all slots don't run at at least x8 speed).

That's about it, though.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2012 7:40:35 AM

if overclocking the motherboard makes a difference on how well you can overclock, which does affect performance
Related resources
a c 137 V Motherboard
a c 110 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 7:43:31 AM

^ Of course, but he doesn't want to/can't OC, so that doesn't even matter, as far as this thread is concerned.
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 9:00:30 PM

My thoughts are, that I always only will be using 1 GPU and never will be overclocking for warranty reasons.
- So I will order the cheap MOBO!
a c 238 V Motherboard
a c 121 K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 9:15:32 PM

lostgamer_03 said:
My thoughts are, that I always only will be using 1 GPU and never will be overclocking for warranty reasons.
- So I will order the cheap MOBO!

I think intel will sell you a warranty on the 3570K that will replace it even for stupid user damage.
Forgetting that, the "K" is sold designed to have the multiplier increased.
Intel only guarantees a multiplier of 34 using the stock cooler.
But with a good cooler, that number may be raised. If you are worried about warranty and such things, contact Intel to get the specifics. My take is that if you do not fool with voltage, or unsupported ram, you are safe. I don't think I have ever heard of a failing Intel cpu.
With a "K" cpu, then the motherboard chipset becomes important, and you will want a z77 based motherboard that will allow you to raise the multiplier.
Considering the huge price performance potential or even a very conservative overclock, I recommend the 3570K over the 3570.
Even if you have no intention of overclocking now. Times change.
A small price premium up front protects your option to overclock later, and when resale time comes, you will certainly gain more that the $15 or so price premium.

But, I have no problem with an inexpensive Z77 motherboard without sli capability.
A conservative oc does not need an expensive enthusiast motherboard.
And changing out a single graphics card seems to me to be the best way to upgrade graphics.
a b V Motherboard
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2012 9:15:48 PM

DJ is spot on. But don't forget to consider the user experience of the mboard. Features like extra USB or eSATA ports, fan headers for case cooling, number of SATA controllers, etc have a big impact on how well you can use your system. If you're just building a very basic machine, these things likely mean nothing. If you want a little extra panache, it's sometimes nice to spend more on a board.
October 24, 2012 9:15:55 PM

I am pretty sure there have been benchmarks posted here that have shown motherboards COULD possible make a 1-3fps difference.

I could be wrong though, it was a long time ago and I could be confusing this site with another. Either way I know the improvement was very little and did not justify the added cost.
!