New build PC won't turn on

OwenAA

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hello,
I'm hoping you can help me; I've built myself a computer (componants listed below) and it will not start, I turn on the PSU and I get the lights on the mobo to say it is ready to start but when I hit the on switch the only sound is a click along with a flash of LEDs (green for NB, SB, HDD, DDR & Red for the CPU Q LED).

mobo: ASUS Crosshair V
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
GPU: two MSI Radeon HD 5670
PSU: Corsair AX650
CPU Cooling: Corsair H60
Optical Drive: LG BD-RW
Boot Drive: OCZ Onyx 32GB SSD
HDD: WD Caviar Green 2TB (moved from old PC)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB)DDR3 1600MHz

Hope to hear from you soon & thanks for any help that is provided.

mauler184

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Hmm. it might be your psu, there are may to tell if your pssu is dead. i can think or one way where you stick a paper clip in the waffle cord, but i dont really remember. Look it up on youtube. Also have you flushed your water cooler?

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011

that should tell you som'n in itself......

all lights green except the cpu light......

1 is your cpu power pluged in???

2 is the cpu seated correctly???

3 is the h60 plugged into the cpu fan headder (some boards wont post w/o somthing occupieng that)

if lights and fans come on its not your psu......

OwenAA

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Update: I removed 1 of the graphics cards thinking that it will be better to get the system running then try to install the CrossFireX setup and it has had an effect!
the system does now switch on and run for a few minutes; the LEDs are the same and my monitor goes to stand by due to the lack of data input.

As far as I know I plugged everything in correctly, as this is my first full build I took my time, thoroughly read the manuals etc before hand and had them open as a quick reference whilst performing the various procedures.

Also the H60 is a ready made loop, I would have to break it in order to flush out the fluid.

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
again......you are getting a cpu Qled error.......somthing is not quite right with the processor.......id' take appart and re-install the h60 and the processor....

OwenAA

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Ok; I've removed everything form the case and reassembled it, mobo is on a sheet of card with a book underneath so the graphics card is able to go into it's slot.

I re-seated the CPU, I had it the right way around but best to check. also I discovered that there was an unnecessary spacer pin between the mobo and the case (this has been removed).

Good news: the cpu light is no longer shining red.
Bad news: the DRAM light is instead.

But I think I've worked out why; while the manual says that the system can support RAM upto 2133MHz, the small print with the processor (which I could only read without my glasses, not often I'm happy to be short sighted) says the intergrated memory controller supports DDR3 upto 1333MHz and I bought 1600MHz :(

Hopefully after I've replaced that it will run!

Of course if you can tell me a way of doing it without buying more new stuff and trying to return the other things I would be very grateful.

008Rohit

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
Well, it should atleast run those memory at 1333Mhz by default. Make sure those two DIMMs are placed on proper dual channel slots. (i.e. two blue or two black slots)

I've also seen a few cases where the MoBo doesn't post when the pair of RAM are in slot 2/4 instead of 1/3.

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
you didnt remove the mobo standoffs from your case did you........those NEED to be there so all those solder points dont short out to the case!!!!

yes... move around your ram.....make sure its seated well.....is the ram even on your QVL???

i really hope you read this before you fry your rig

OwenAA

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

Didn't remove all the standoffs just the one that didn't come up behind a screw hole in the mobo.

got new ram and again tried all poss. combinations, at one point I got a beep code; I looked this up and found that it meant there was an error with the video card so I unplugged both and reseated them, this seems to have been a bad thing because now I get a click and a flash of LEDs like when I started this thread except it is the DRAM Q-LED instead of the CPU Q-LED.
Both sets of RAM are Corsair (the 1600 & the 1333) and on the QVL

I hope I haven't fried it, I need my own computer again but I can't rationalise spending any more.