Sign in with
Your question

Pentium g2120 with GA-Z77X-UD5H

Last response: in Motherboards
October 24, 2012 10:44:12 AM

I am planning to build a new PC and have some problems here.pentium g2120 does not support PCIe 3.0.However,the motherboard stated above have this slots.I am not using any PCI cards anyway AFAIK.if this is the case,will my Mobo and Processor still *pass away* if I connect them and use them together?also please check If the combo is wrong like I choose the wrong PSU for the mobo or my mobo don't have EFI but I use too big hdd or something.i am still quite n00bish.
Basic specs: (many from eBay and I just copy the title)
The mobo and processor stated above.
Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Corsair XMS3 Classic 4GB Memory Module 1333MHz DDR3 DIMM CMX4GX3M1A1333C9(getting 2 sticks of these)

Foxconn TLA-397 ATX/MATX Midi Tower Case (Black/Silver) + 400W Power Supply
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 1:35:51 AM

your build is messed up in a couple of ways

-if the motherboard costs more than the chip itself, you got a problem. get yourself a cheap motherboard like the asrock h77m
-also, if this in running intergrated graphics and you are doing gaming, id suggest move over to the AMD trinity platform and save yourself money
-do not get cheapo cases with included power supplies. they are nearly always crap

use a smaller hard drive such as a seagate barracuda 1tb 64mb. they sell for 69.99 at newegg

use this ram instead. cheaper and higher quality
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

buying stuff from ebay is probably a big mistake. i wouldnt bother
Related resources
a c 84 V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 2:00:53 AM

There's no problem in using a CPU that doesn't support PCIe 3.0 in a motherboard that does. The PCIe 3.0 slot(s) on the motherboard will just function in PCIe 2.0 mode.
Apart from that, I'd like to second TheBigTroll's advice.
October 25, 2012 5:40:11 AM

TheBigTroll said:

-if the motherboard costs more than the chip itself, you got a problem. get yourself a cheap motherboard like the asrock h77m
-also, if this in running intergrated graphics and you are doing gaming, id suggest move over to the AMD trinity platform and save yourself money
-do not get cheapo cases with included power supplies. they are nearly always crap

use a smaller hard drive such as a seagate barracuda 1tb 64mb. they sell for 69.99 at newegg

I need the 3tb hard drive(I take tons of space and the 500gb hdd is full within 2 months-I make lots of virtual machines running Linux).also I am in Singapore and newegg I think is not available here.also there is only 2 stores selling these stuff(processors and mobo),and only to big business,so it's not possible to get things locally either.Also if I still use this case,and change psu,is it ok?i can change the processor if necessary though(but still from eBay unless someone can tell me a better place to buy)
October 25, 2012 5:40:56 AM

TheBigTroll said:

I need the 3tb hard drive(I take tons of space and the 500gb hdd is full within 2 months-I make lots of virtual machines running Linux).also I am in Singapore and newegg I think is not available here.also there is only 2 stores selling these stuff(processors and mobo),and only to big business,so it's not possible to get things locally either.Also if I still use this case,and change psu,is it ok?i can change the processor if necessary though(but still from eBay unless someone can tell me a better place to buy)
October 25, 2012 5:41:10 AM

TheBigTroll said:

October 25, 2012 5:58:01 AM

Sorry my iPad has glitches so it send 3 in a row. apologies for this.
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 8:12:31 AM

No. Apparantly you're trying to use a low budget power supply; get a name brand with lower wattage rather than a cheap unit that's rated higher. Antec rates it's power supplies correctly; the cheaper brands can fail under load. You don't need 500 watts of junk. Save some more $$ and use the 400w you have now; antec, corsair, seasonic, enermax and ocz are pretty good brands. Avoid the cheapo brands that don't even state their 12v rail ratings. This is what I use on my backup system with onboard video: http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/ANTEC-SP-350-SMART-350W-ATX-....
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 10:31:09 AM

if you are making lots of virtual machines, look at a i7 3770 with 32gb of ram. a pentium wont do anything

and no. dont use low quality units
October 25, 2012 10:52:04 AM

TheBigTroll said:
if you are making lots of virtual machines, look at a i7 3770 with 32gb of ram. a pentium wont do anything

and no. dont use low quality units

I have been making VMs with core i3 540 :pt1cable:  and it works quite well so I would rather not use too much money getting a very good one as its not really needed.(that's a gateway sx 2850)
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 10:54:15 AM

the cx 500 is my bare minimum

well it wont run vms that well just saying. id actually suggest taking a look at the amd fx 8320. more threads help and its pretty cheap

and putting a pentium in a ud5h is still the dumbest idea
October 25, 2012 11:51:10 PM

The first 2 websites are out--the stores in sim lim square which if full of scams.(also in Wikipedia )the third only have 3 components in building a machine--the case,psu,and the HDD.
So is these ok?
Psu:
http://www.chamoxa.com/estore2/index.php/power-supplies...
Case:
http://www.chamoxa.com/estore2/index.php/computer-cases...
HDD:
http://www.chamoxa.com/estore2/index.php/storage/wester...
The mobo and RAM still need to get from eBAY(no choice)
I try get the processor somewhere else.
a b V Motherboard
October 25, 2012 11:53:11 PM

cooler master also makes crappy power supplies

another crappy case

green drives are terribly slow for OS use

get a different motherboard. the ud5h is stupid for your usage
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 12:06:34 AM

well the price is high (i can find one for 119.99). but makes a bit more sense. still drop the motherboard for something much cheaper like a asrock h77m.
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 12:07:36 AM

and that it doesnt come with a cooler, meaning you have to spend more money. they are selling the OEM version to you. id suggest not getting this one
October 26, 2012 4:09:01 AM

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/NEW-ASRock-H77M-Micro-ATX-Mo...
Is this price ok for asrock h77m?
Also is this UEFI or EFI because I think 3 TB hard drives cannot use traditional bios.
So should I stick with this hard drive?
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/NEW-Seagate-Barracuda-ST3000...

And should I use this CPU fan?
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/NEW-CoolerMaster-Vortex-211-...

I will rather have that cheaper i3.it is cheaper than the pentium by a few dollars because of the huge difference in the shipping costs.
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 8:48:56 AM

Yes to all three of your links. The cpu fan is similar to the Intel stock heatsink, so if you can get a retail box version of your cpu, it might actually save you money. Don't overclock with that cpu heatsink. It's not designed for it. That heatsink is actually a bad value; check for a better deal if you have time.
October 26, 2012 10:13:29 AM

I am not overclocking so I can use that fan right?also is fp-outlet trustable?its from hong Kong and I heard there is lots of scams in china and there.
October 26, 2012 10:17:33 AM

Also should I use artic silver 5 or the ceramique version?i heard that artic silver is the only good type of the cooling cream but which version is better?
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 10:17:54 AM

Sorry, I can't vouch for anything from hong kong. Good luck.
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 10:50:06 AM

the h77 is reasonably priced if you were in the UK

ok to the hard drive

no you are getting scammed. get a retail version of the i3 and you dont have to spend 40 bucks on the same cooler

and arctic silver 5 used be good 4 years ago. and you dont need it. intel stock cooler comes with it pre-applied. arctic silver wont be enough to affect your temps
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 9:12:39 PM

Yes to using the stock Intel cooler with thermal pad. You don't need to use thermal past; the pad is fine.
October 27, 2012 12:34:05 AM

TheBigTroll said:
the h77 is reasonably priced if you were in the UK

ok to the hard drive

no you are getting scammed. get a retail version of the i3 and you dont have to spend 40 bucks on the same cooler

and arctic silver 5 used be good 4 years ago. and you dont need it. intel stock cooler comes with it pre-applied. arctic silver wont be enough to affect your temps

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Intel-CPU-BX80637i33220T-Cor...
Is this a good deal?($52.34 SGD posting fees)
October 27, 2012 12:34:45 AM

But that's the low power one...that quite suck...
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 12:39:47 AM

pricey but good to go
October 27, 2012 2:20:01 AM

So can I still use the case that you said is crappy?it doesn't really matter right?
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 2:21:22 AM

it wont damage anything. just that it has low build quality
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 2:50:37 AM

Your choice for ram is excellent if the shipping charges are reasonable. I understand now what you have to pay in your part of the world. Yes to keeping your old case if you use the funds saved for a better power supply. Good luck.
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 2:55:46 AM

2 sticks is optimal. but the price the charge you from the get go (US 52.99) is a lot
October 27, 2012 3:37:14 AM

12.19 sgd only as the posting fee,good?
October 27, 2012 3:39:44 AM

The old ram I chose only saves me a few dollars,so I should stick with this one?
a c 84 V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 4:03:06 AM

Yeah that RAM is better. Definitely worth it if the price difference is small.
October 27, 2012 4:45:19 AM

Also should I install windows 8 or windows 7?i am using a gateway hx 2000 so snap is no problem.
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 4:55:49 AM

windows 7/ windows 8 if you have a touch screen
October 27, 2012 5:29:48 AM

I have no touch screen,so which should I choose?i got USB 3.0 and I don't know if windows 7 supports it.
October 27, 2012 7:15:45 AM

Also is the stock cooler ok for such a processor?
a c 435 V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 10:24:53 AM

Yes, the stock cooler is fine as long as you don't overclock the cpu. I've always used the stock Intel cooler, even when doing mild overclocking.
October 27, 2012 10:32:43 AM

So is the Xeon ok for this build?
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 11:32:29 AM

if there is intergrated graphics, it should be ok.
October 27, 2012 1:45:42 PM

TheBigTroll said:
if there is intergrated graphics, it should be ok.

It dont,but i dont play games,so does it really matter?
a b V Motherboard
October 27, 2012 5:39:34 PM

well you need a graphics card to run the display if you dont have intergrated
October 27, 2012 11:40:50 PM

There is the onboard VGA plug,so can't I use the on board?I really don't want to get any graphic cards.
!