Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire radeon hd5670 HDMI output stops working

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2011 10:16:46 PM

Hi all, here's an interesting one.

I have a PC running Windows XP 32-bit and have hooked a Sapphire Radeon HD5670 HDMI up to an Onkyo amplifier. The VGA output is connected to an old flat panel I've had for years.

The audio hardware is configured via Device Manager to output through the ATI chipset instead of the on-board Realtek chip: The opposite of http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-73NoOnBo...

Everything works great until I turn the Onkyo off. The problem does not manifest itself if I switch the Onkyo to another input device, use it for a while, and then switch back.

If I turn the amp off and then turn the Onkyo back on, The ATI card will not play audio from any source (Windows Media Player, KMPlayer, etc.) unless I reboot the PC.

Very odd behavior.

Any thoughts?

I thank you in advance.
August 1, 2011 11:03:48 PM

Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the latest drivers for your radeon? Make sure the software is also up to date for your onkyo and you have the latest intel chipset drivers.

m
l
August 2, 2011 12:36:28 AM

chillin15 said:
Have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the latest drivers for your radeon? Make sure the software is also up to date for your onkyo and you have the latest intel chipset drivers.

Yes. To no effect. It is acting as if the input termination into the amplifier is getting into an indeterminate state when the amplifier switches; like the signals float and this screws up the operating state in the hardware (The ATI) card. What is odd is that it only impacts the audio side of the system and not the video.

I may have to go digging around in the HDMI 1.4 hardware spec and see if there's a hot line switching issue.

Thank you for the input though.
m
l
December 19, 2011 3:48:01 PM

I'm having a very similar problem with a HD6870 and a Yamaha receiver where I loose video and audio. But what I just found out worked (only once so far) is that unplugging the HDMI and plugging it back in on the back of the card worked and reset it.

Did you ever find a solution?

Sound like this might be our issue.

Hitting windows+p and then ENTER seems like a good work-around until it is fixed in hardware.
m
l
!