Tags:
  • Windows Server 2008
  • Virtual PC
  • Windows 7
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
November 9, 2010 4:40:28 PM

This seemed to be the best category for my query. Anyway:

I'd like to set up a small home network and install Windows Server 2008 as a virtual HD. I want to install it on my machine that's already running Windows 7 and I understand I can still do this without blowing away the current OS.

BUT - how do I do this? what are the steps, what else do I need (Virtual PC, perhaps?). What should I expect when installing it? I've been told that I need to copy the files from the disk to my C Drive. Is this true?

Please talk to me like I'm 5, I'd really like to get this on my machine and practice using it, as I am currently an IT student.

Thank you.

More about : windows server 2008 vhd

November 9, 2010 5:58:52 PM

What CPU and motherboard do you have?
m
l
November 9, 2010 6:09:39 PM

Download Virtual Server from Microsoft. You might be able to do it with Virtual PC too. Install it.

Then you have to walk through creating a new VHD. Set the size of the VHD, resources, etc. You'll understand when you walk through it.

If you have an ISO of your install CD/DVD, that works best to install. Otherwise you can mount your installation CD/DVD into the VHD and install like normal.

Your CPU will need to have virtual support. Most likely it will if it is only a couple years old.

Search on Technet.microsoft.com and you can get all the steps you need.
m
l
Related resources
November 9, 2010 6:15:59 PM

^+1, thats where i was going.
m
l
November 9, 2010 11:59:48 PM

riser said:
Download Virtual Server from Microsoft. You might be able to do it with Virtual PC too. Install it.

Then you have to walk through creating a new VHD. Set the size of the VHD, resources, etc. You'll understand when you walk through it.

If you have an ISO of your install CD/DVD, that works best to install. Otherwise you can mount your installation CD/DVD into the VHD and install like normal.

Your CPU will need to have virtual support. Most likely it will if it is only a couple years old.

Search on Technet.microsoft.com and you can get all the steps you need.

thank you.
m
l
November 10, 2010 12:00:00 AM

Plumble said:
^+1, thats where i was going.

thanks.
m
l
!