WINDOWS SERVER 2008 VHD

This seemed to be the best category for my query. Anyway:

I'd like to set up a small home network and install Windows Server 2008 as a virtual HD. I want to install it on my machine that's already running Windows 7 and I understand I can still do this without blowing away the current OS.

BUT - how do I do this? what are the steps, what else do I need (Virtual PC, perhaps?). What should I expect when installing it? I've been told that I need to copy the files from the disk to my C Drive. Is this true?

Please talk to me like I'm 5, I'd really like to get this on my machine and practice using it, as I am currently an IT student.

Thank you.
5 answers Last reply
More about windows server 2008
  1. What CPU and motherboard do you have?
  2. Download Virtual Server from Microsoft. You might be able to do it with Virtual PC too. Install it.

Then you have to walk through creating a new VHD. Set the size of the VHD, resources, etc. You'll understand when you walk through it.

If you have an ISO of your install CD/DVD, that works best to install. Otherwise you can mount your installation CD/DVD into the VHD and install like normal.

Your CPU will need to have virtual support. Most likely it will if it is only a couple years old.

Search on Technet.microsoft.com and you can get all the steps you need.
  3. ^+1, thats where i was going.
  4. riser said:
    Download Virtual Server from Microsoft. You might be able to do it with Virtual PC too. Install it.

Then you have to walk through creating a new VHD. Set the size of the VHD, resources, etc. You'll understand when you walk through it.

If you have an ISO of your install CD/DVD, that works best to install. Otherwise you can mount your installation CD/DVD into the VHD and install like normal.

Your CPU will need to have virtual support. Most likely it will if it is only a couple years old.

Search on Technet.microsoft.com and you can get all the steps you need.

thank you.
  5. Plumble said:
    ^+1, thats where i was going.

thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Server 2008 Virtual PC Windows 7 Networking