Sign in with
Your question

Certain games crash my computer

Last response: in Systems
October 2, 2011 7:08:55 PM

I recently bought my PC and built it myself and I got it for games, however some games seem to just make my computer completely crash. I can play The Witcher 2 perfectly and it looks amazing and has never crashed my PC but when I play Medal of Honor or more annoyingly the Battlefield 3 Beta it crashes my PC. The picture stops and the noise goes crazy and then I have to restart my PC and the majority of the time it causes the Blue Screen of Death. It's a top PC with AMD 6x Phenom 2 CPU, Saphire Radeon hd 6870 graphics card, 8GB RAM and a Corsair 850W PSU.

Any help would be deeply appreciated thank you,

Graham Barnett.

More about : games crash computer

October 5, 2011 3:28:33 AM

grahaam123 said:
I recently bought my PC and built it myself and I got it for games, however some games seem to just make my computer completely crash. I can play The Witcher 2 perfectly and it looks amazing and has never crashed my PC but when I play Medal of Honor or more annoyingly the Battlefield 3 Beta it crashes my PC. The picture stops and the noise goes crazy and then I have to restart my PC and the majority of the time it causes the Blue Screen of Death. It's a top PC with AMD 6x Phenom 2 CPU, Saphire Radeon hd 6870 graphics card, 8GB RAM and a Corsair 850W PSU.

Any help would be deeply appreciated thank you,

Graham Barnett.

Have you cleaned it of crap lately? Run CCleaner (both clean and registry) and then defrag.
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER
October 9, 2011 10:16:17 AM

clutchc said:
Have you cleaned it of crap lately? Run CCleaner (both clean and registry) and then defrag.
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Thanks for your help but it only fixed it for about 30 minutes of game time in Battlefield 3 Beta. Any other help would be appreciated.
Related resources
October 9, 2011 10:29:44 AM

It's battlefield BETA. Most of the time, it's driver issues. Have you updated your drivers?
October 9, 2011 3:38:38 PM

cutebeans said:
It's battlefield BETA. Most of the time, it's driver issues. Have you updated your drivers?

Yeahh I am always updating my drivers and unfortunately it's not just the Battlefield Beta, like I said in the post it happened when playing Medal of Honor, might just be my PC hates shooters?
October 9, 2011 4:10:06 PM

I remember a machine I had awhile back that had a similar problem to yours. It had an Asus P5N-E SLI motherboard. I was using the fastest RAM the board would accept (DDR2 800MHZ). The problem always/only occured in certain games. Like you, I had the latest graphics drivers properly installed.
It turned out that the board was cranky about having all 4 slots populated with the fastest memory.
If I only filled 2 slots, the problem went away.
If I left all 4 slots filled but lowered the speed to 667MHZ, the problem went away.
Just a thought...

Btw, which card/driver are you using now?
October 9, 2011 4:11:47 PM

Nevermind. Saw it was a HD 6870.
October 9, 2011 4:33:31 PM

Post detailed specs, Processor, Motherboard, PSU, Hard Drive..

It looks like a RAM issue to me..
October 11, 2011 10:41:33 AM

clutchc said:
Nevermind. Saw it was a HD 6870.

Should I still try your method of using 2 sticks of RAM, because my RAM is DDR3 1333 and won't let me underclock it to 667, so should I put it to 800 instead?
October 11, 2011 10:53:27 AM

008Rohit said:
Post detailed specs, Processor, Motherboard, PSU, Hard Drive..

It looks like a RAM issue to me..

Processor: AMD Phenom 2 X6 1090T - Core Speed 3717.8 MHz, Core Voltage 1.456 V
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
PSU: Corsair HX 850 Watt
Hard Drive: Samsung 1TB
RAM: Corsair DDR3 8GB - DRAM Frequancy 669.7 MHz - Max Bandwidth PC3-10700H (667 MHz)
Graphics: Radeon HD 6870 - 1024 MBytes GDDR5

Got all this from CPU-Z and am not sure the precise things you wanted me to include but hope this is helpful. Thank you for any help you may be able give me.
October 11, 2011 4:34:43 PM

grahaam123 said:
Should I still try your method of using 2 sticks of RAM, because my RAM is DDR3 1333 and won't let me underclock it to 667, so should I put it to 800 instead?

Yes. Just lower it from its maximum. See if that clears up the problem.
If not, then try only 2 sticks at normal speed.
If the problem still persists, that should eliminate the RAM issue. On the other hand, if the problem goes away...
October 11, 2011 4:36:07 PM

Hmmm... wonder why I keep getting a "14" and the end of my messages?
!