Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Please Improve My Build!

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
October 2, 2011 8:13:25 PM

Alright so through my previous threads I have gathered what i believe to be a solid build. I would like to have the professionals here tear it apart and tell me how to improve it :)  I plan on upgrading to the Ivy Bridge processor when it drops in 2012 and when i can afford it I will also be switching to the nvidia gtx 6xx series graphics card. With this in mind, is this a good temporary build or should I go with some cheaper parts because ill be upgrading relatively soon?

(This will be used primarily to game/surf the web/watch movies/word processing haha)

Heres the build:
__________________________________

Case
Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP (Black)
Cooling
Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-LUS-07AR-GP
Heatsink
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
Power cord
BYTECC 6 ft. 18AWG Power Cord w/ 3 Conductor PC Power Connector – Black Model POWERCORD-6K
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Mobo
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Monitor
SAMSUNG S23A750D Black 23" 2ms Full HD 3D LED BackLight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DCR 1,000,000:1 (1,000:1)
Psu
LEPA B850-MA 850W ATX12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Memory
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR
SSD
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
Processor
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

Video Card - GTX 570

I need a sweet mouse and keyboard for gaming, and if anyone can link me to some speakers, im still considering getting a set.

Let me know if some things arent compatible/unnecessary, or if i am missing anything, im relatively a novice in this area in comparison to most, is this all parts required to get this system running?

I know im missing the disc drive, can anyone link me to a blu ray vs normal one?

-thanks!
__________________________________

I also have various other questions:

1. I have heard many stories of people having problems with ssds, can anyone shed some light on the subject? is it worth it?

2. I have fallen in love with that monitor, but is it worth it?

3. The 570 card i had in mind is out of stock, can anyone link me to a quality one?

4. Can that psu handle the next gen video cards etc?

5. Is that mobo future proof for the ivy bridge processor?

6. Can anyone link me to a better psu? (quality wise)

7. If there is any way to shave off a few bucks by down-grading unnecessary components just say so!

Sorry I know I have I lot of questions, but thats because tom's hardware is the best!

any help/criticism/thoughts are greatly appreciated!

-thanks!

More about : improve build

Related resources
October 2, 2011 10:11:19 PM

I have to click your links to see what you are buying?
m
0
l
October 2, 2011 10:32:49 PM

Outlander_04 said:
I have to click your links to see what you are buying?


lol ill fix that

edit: problem solved
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 4:49:18 AM

Everything in your build looks find. This psu down below is manufactured by Seasonic for XFX and it's quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $119.99 - $89.99 after mail-in rebate
XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SAO0Z4/ref=ox_sc_a... $329.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
MSI nVidia GeForce GTX570 Twin Frozr II OC 1280MB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N570GTX TWIN FROZR II/OC
m
0
l
October 3, 2011 5:44:32 AM

Why_Me said:
Everything in your build looks find. This psu down below is manufactured by Seasonic for XFX and it's quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $119.99 - $89.99 after mail-in rebate
XFX Core Edition PRO850W (P1-850S-NLB9) 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SAO0Z4/ref=ox_sc_a... $329.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
MSI nVidia GeForce GTX570 Twin Frozr II OC 1280MB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card N570GTX TWIN FROZR II/OC


thank you, but do you know of a modular one?

can anyone answer any of my many questions above?

-thanks!
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 12:47:36 AM

ForeverHeartless said:
would that be sufficient for the 570? and what about upcoming 6xx series?

You want a 850w psu for dual 570's. Look at brands such as Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Enermax, Silverstone, and OCZ ZS series.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 8:47:05 PM

Why_Me said:
You want a 850w psu for dual 570's. Look at brands such as Seasonic, XFX, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, Enermax, Silverstone, and OCZ ZS series.


im not going dual 570s, only one, i was wondering if a 850w or a 750w will be able to handle the next gen video cards...although i realize it might not be possible to know
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 8:56:42 PM

ForeverHeartless said:
im not going dual 570s, only one, i was wondering if a 850w or a 750w will be able to handle the next gen video cards...although i realize it might not be possible to know

Those cards are supposed to use less juice although that remains to be seen yet...no physical benchmarks. I do know this, the XFX 550w will push a single gtx 570. It's not in stock atm, but that's a solid single rail psu.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 9:25:28 PM

Are you planning to overclock the GTX 570? If so, maybe consider getting the 750w over the 650w.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 9:33:02 PM

subspaced said:
Are you planning to overclock the GTX 570? If so, maybe consider getting the 750w over the 650w.

Please explain why the OP would need a 750w psu for a single gtx 570. A 650w psu will run a single 580 and leave you loads of extra juice for o/c.
m
0
l
October 4, 2011 9:53:43 PM

Why_Me said:
Please explain why the OP would need a 750w psu for a single gtx 570. A 650w psu will run a single 580 and leave you loads of extra juice for o/c.


A single Nvidia GTX 570 consumes close to roughly 250w and also requires 38A (amp) and I'm not sure how much more watts it would consume if overclocked. You also have to consider other components that consume power, such as the CPU. Thus, 650w should be fine but 750w gives him more leg room (for future upgrades to a different card) and also a possibility to go into the SLI route in the future.

Correct me if I'm wrong
m
0
l
October 5, 2011 12:41:34 AM

subspaced said:
A single Nvidia GTX 570 consumes close to roughly 250w and also requires 38A (amp) and I'm not sure how much more watts it would consume if overclocked. You also have to consider other components that consume power, such as the CPU. Thus, 650w should be fine but 750w gives him more leg room (for future upgrades to a different card) and also a possibility to go into the SLI route in the future.

Correct me if I'm wrong


what he said
m
0
l
October 5, 2011 12:54:20 AM

ForeverHeartless said:
what he said

Ya that's sure rocket science if I ever saw it. Instead of getting a psu (850w) that will push two of those cards in SLI, get a psu that won't push two of those cards, yet is total over kill for a single 570.

I'm done with this thread.
m
0
l
October 5, 2011 1:08:43 AM

Why_Me said:
Ya that's sure rocket science if I ever saw it. Instead of getting a psu (850w) that will push two of those cards in SLI, get a psu that won't push two of those cards, yet is total over kill for a single 570.

I'm done with this thread.


It wasn't my intention to upset you, I just remember reading something on 750w's being a solid choice for GTX 570's, less costly than 850w's, and I thought that I'd share my opinion. Again, If I'm wrong please correct me as i'm always willing to learn new things.
m
0
l
!