What Motherboard to get ?

wbt50

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I'm looking to build my first PC and want some advice on a motherboard selection.
As for a budget I'm willing to spend £1000/$1700.

I've opted to get the i7 3770k as for my CPU and I will also be getting a decent GPU

What are you going to be doing with this system? If you are looking for a solid board at a reasonable cost I would start by looking at the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 maybe the Intel DZ77SL-50K (If you are not looking for SLI or Xfire). If you are looking for something a little more robust then the Asus P8Z77-V or the Asus P8Z77-V Pro.

I use the ASRock extreme4 now and it's by far the best budget board for the z77 chipset. The extreme 4 can do 2 way ski and gets my 4.4ghz on my 3570k with little voltage changing to the chip

wbt50

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I'm not looking to overclock at the moment, however I wouldn't mind keeping the option available but it's no big deal.

What would you choose out of:
Asus P9X79
Asus P8Z77-V Pro
sabertooth z77

Ceee9

Honorable
Oct 12, 2012

sabertooth in my opinion is not that great of a motherboard, just the look is interesting,
and u cant put x79 board on ivy brigde chip, it not compatible,

i think the best on ur list is p8z77-v Pro

IMO i would take the msi Z77A GD80, thunderbolt of coz,

chugot9218

Honorable
I love my Asus Z77-V Pro, certainly has all the necessary features (plenty of USB 2.0, 3.0, PCI slots for xFire or SLI) as well as an included wireless module that gets pretty damn good signal and the antennae has magnets on it and is actually fairly attractive looking, I stuck it right to the side of my case.

wbt50

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
Ok thanks for the help,
Is the p8z77-v Pro a "future proof" motherboard, I will be hoping it to last a good 5 years if possible. If not are there any other better Motherboards out there ?

that is a solid choice any better mobo cost much more

chugot9218

Honorable
Nothing is truly future-proof, but, things that should be considered in "future-proofing" is the size of the socket (will future CPU's fit), PCI speed and amount (add GPU's in the future to keep performance up), total amount of installable RAM (32gb on this board, likely to be enough for quite a while), things like that. So, yes, it would be good for the next 5 years or so if you do not need to upgrade the CPU (i7 3770k should be capable for several years).