Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Icons (Printer, Drives)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 3:04:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hello,

1. how can I change the standard network drive icon into a different one for
each drive (e.g network drive r should show icon "apple.ico", drive u
"house.ico".?

2. how can I change the standard printer icon into a different one (e.g. the
printer hp1220 should show the icon "inkjet.ico", the hp800 "plotter.ico")

thanks christoph

More about : icons printer drives

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 3:04:05 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Christoph Graber wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1. how can I change the standard network drive icon into a different
> one for each drive (e.g network drive r should show icon "apple.ico",
> drive u "house.ico".?
>
> 2. how can I change the standard printer icon into a different one
> (e.g. the printer hp1220 should show the icon "inkjet.ico", the hp800
> "plotter.ico")
>
> thanks christoph

The drive icon is easy, but I don't have any info for the printer icon.

To change the drive icon:

1. Copy the icon you want to the root directory of the target drive.
2. Open Notepad and create a file with the following text:

[autorun]
icon=xxxx.ico

(Where xxxx.ico is the name of the icon you placed in the root of the drive)

3. Save the file as autorun.inf to the same root directory.
4. Reboot to finish the process.

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 7:21:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Sorry, but it didn't work.

Do I have to reboot the server where the network drive is on, or just the
client. (and why ???)
Do I have to turn on an autorun-option for the network-drives? (How?)
(the autorun for the local cd-drive is working)

thanks christoph


"Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:o 0vTI4wcEHA.2408@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Christoph Graber wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > 1. how can I change the standard network drive icon into a different
> > one for each drive (e.g network drive r should show icon "apple.ico",
> > drive u "house.ico".?
> >
> > 2. how can I change the standard printer icon into a different one
> > (e.g. the printer hp1220 should show the icon "inkjet.ico", the hp800
> > "plotter.ico")
> >
> > thanks christoph
>
> The drive icon is easy, but I don't have any info for the printer icon.
>
> To change the drive icon:
>
> 1. Copy the icon you want to the root directory of the target drive.
> 2. Open Notepad and create a file with the following text:
>
> [autorun]
> icon=xxxx.ico
>
> (Where xxxx.ico is the name of the icon you placed in the root of the
drive)
>
> 3. Save the file as autorun.inf to the same root directory.
> 4. Reboot to finish the process.
>
> --
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
> http://www.dts-l.org
> http://www.mvps.org
>
>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
July 31, 2004 5:54:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

My icons are stored in custom-made *.dll files. How do I get the
change the drive icon to refer to one of my *.dll files?

<*((((><{
Fishy@Ocean.Net

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 05:41:41 -0700, "Ronnie Vernon MVP"
<ronv@mvps.org> wrote:

|Christoph Graber wrote:
|> Hello,
|>
|> 1. how can I change the standard network drive icon into a different
|> one for each drive (e.g network drive r should show icon "apple.ico",
|> drive u "house.ico".?
|>
|> 2. how can I change the standard printer icon into a different one
|> (e.g. the printer hp1220 should show the icon "inkjet.ico", the hp800
|> "plotter.ico")
|>
|> thanks christoph
|
|The drive icon is easy, but I don't have any info for the printer icon.
|
|To change the drive icon:
|
|1. Copy the icon you want to the root directory of the target drive.
|2. Open Notepad and create a file with the following text:
|
|[autorun]
|icon=xxxx.ico
|
|(Where xxxx.ico is the name of the icon you placed in the root of the drive)
|
|3. Save the file as autorun.inf to the same root directory.
|4. Reboot to finish the process.
Anonymous
July 31, 2004 11:20:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

<*((((><{ wrote:
> My icons are stored in custom-made *.dll files. How do I get the
> change the drive icon to refer to one of my *.dll files?
>

Get one of the free icon extractor programs. These can extract the icons
from the files that contain them. You can then place them in a custom icon
folder and point the shortcut to a program to that icon folder and a
particular icon.

For the drive icon, refer to my instructions.

To change the drive icon:
1. Copy the icon you want to the root directory of the target drive.
2. Open Notepad and create a file with the following text:

[autorun]
icon=xxxx.ico

(Where xxxx.ico is the name of the icon you placed in the root of the drive)

3. Save the file as autorun.inf to the same root directory.
4. Reboot to finish the process.
--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

Please reply to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org
!