Do i need a new cpu

lukey

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
hey guys i have recently upgraded all theparts on my computer except the proccessor as i didnt feel it was neccessary here are the specs: ASUS P5G41T-m lx motherboard
sapphire 6770 1gb gpu
4gb 1333mhz RAM
hitachi deskstar 7200rpm 1tb internal hard drive
and the processor intel pentium d (single core) 3.00ghz

now i can run small non graphic heavy games like civilization v cs:s and terraria but when i play graphic heavy games (which my computer should handle) like left 4 dead 2 and gta epidoses from liberty city i have 5 mins of the fps at 60-100 then the next 5 mins is at 5-15 which is really annoying.

so what im saying is do i need a new cpu to go with all my upgrades as it is a fiarly old one please get back as soon as you can. thank you.

oh yea i have played with the bios and put my processor in all the settings and currently is in performance mode and im using windows 7 home premium 64bit

lukey

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
ore i go otu buying one though will that definatley make a constant fps in all of my games. and what if i try the same processor but that has not been used as much. thanks for replying so quick

lukey

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
sorry i could not answer but i am looking for a dual core for 775 for around £60-70 and i dont want to get a new motherrboard already

pat

Expert

Those CPU were hot burners and needed a very clean HSF and the thermal paste has to be in good condition. Like you said, you have 5 mins of good fps (CPU is heating up) and 5 mins of bad fps (CPU has overheated and it actually throttle down to cool itself) and the next 5 mins, it is at the edge between ok and overheating.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I would first check if the fan and the sink are clean and check the thermal paste and contact between the CPU and the cooler.

lukey

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
the heat sync is brand new adn the processor has enough thermal paste on it so my guess is that i need a new processor thats a dual core

pat

Expert
Too much of thermal past is not good also. You need only a small rice size drop at the center and install the CPU cooler. it will spread on the top as a thin layer and that will be enough. Too much means too much thermal resistance and too much time to cure.

pat

Expert
Throttlewatch should support your CPU. Your Pentium D is still a P4 type. Did you try it or just read the description?

And maybe something has to be enabled in BIOS.

lukey

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
look tbh honest i dont want to download anything i just want to know if i get a new processor if that will give me a constant fps

pat

Expert
depend of if the limitation is the CPU or the video card.. if your current CPU is not working at its full potential, then there is no way to know if the rest will follow. And if you dont know if the rest will be able to follow, then putting a new CPU will not help.

So, make sure your cpu is not throttleling down, test your FPS, if it improve, then maybe in a certain way, a new CPU may help, if it dont, then a better video card oe a new system

dump the motherboard and cpu. you can get an asroc 775 motherboard that will support anything up to the qx series quads for 35 pounds if your current board doesnt support quads... then get the quad core of your choice.
currently the 6770 is way to much gpu for a single core p4 your looking at around a 50%+ bottleneck so swapping out the cpu is your only option.

lukey

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2012
ok thanks but the only thing is i have a budget of about £60 and i dont really want to replace my motherboard already so my best bet would be a 775 dual core for around that mpney