Upgrade or replace?

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I am getting anxious for the full release of bf3 i have been playing the beta basically non stop i would like to run it on something except "low" settings to get it to run smooth just wondering if you can help me figure out weather to replace it or upgrade it.

I have
Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP43-DS3L
Processor: 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad Q6600
RAM: Kingston KVR800D2N6K2 4GB
PSU: 900w Antec
GPU: ASUS Radeon 6970
HDD: WD 500gb

i do realize i am bottle necking the gpu btw, :)

I am just wondering what is holding me back here in this build weather i need to oc the cpu (have done before to 3.0GHZ easily Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler is still on it from playing with overclocking) get some more ram and a ssd possibly if it helps

windows score:
Processor 7.1
RAM 7.1
GPU 7.9
3d 7.9
HDD 5.9

the only reason i would like to upgrade for the time being i have another computer i have recently built that i would like to keep "up to speed" AMD build i was going to get the bulldozer CPU for this and the new ASUS board so i was going to slowly upgrade that one and build another over the next year.

hopefully this will give you enough to go on thanks in advance for any help or ideas.

Your GPU should be enough to play that game on decent settings. If you OC your CPU, what happens? If you OC it and performance improves a lot, if it's enough, then there you go. If it improves, but not quite enough, then replacing your CPU, RAM, and mobo will be necessary. A budget of $450 would be great; you could probably get by on $375.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
ok i have overclocked it to 3.3GHZ with a max running in game temp of 55 Degrees Celsius or (131 degrees Fahrenheit) at 1.38VCORE, BF3 is down at the moment so i was playing BFBC2 at around 100FPS everything maxed out at 80-90% CPU usage and ran fine only thing i did notice is i am using a LOT of ram with outlook, skype etc. open i was using 3.6GB out of 4GB of my ram, i am thinking this may have been my problem all along?!?!?!?! any suggestions weather to get a new stick of ram or to replace what i have possibly? I have 2 screens so i do like to keep a lot open on my other screen whilst i game.

I will re-post once the BF3 Beta is back up with my stats on it thanks for your help so far

Well, running other resource-intensive apps during games will definitely hurt performance.
While adding RAM may help, you'd be wasting money, since that board uses DDR2 instead of the current type, DDR3.
See how it is when BF3 comes back.

Edit: if you [temporarily] kill Outlook and Skype, do you see much improvement in the games?

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
ok so i put the settings on high in game closed everything i could i get 40 - 50 fps in game 80-90% CPU usage 59 degrees max temp but after about 5 mins i get some small graphics tearing and about 5 mins later a complete game freeze.
i have downloaded the catalyst 11.10 drivers for the beta, and ideas why this would be happening, i though the CPU would have to be at 100% before this started to happen.

on "medium" same cpu stats 70 fps everything worked great.

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
60 lol its not even struggling

ASUS Radeon 6970 2gb i got one in my other computer doesn't even hit 70% thats everything in the game MAXED and gets 50 FPS not a problem no lag nothing

screen is asus ml249H

kinda weird gpu and monitor shouldn't even struggle running at ultra for the game should be something else that fails

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
i had both running in my "good computer" as crossfire they are only a matter of months old i think it is more likley a driver issue than a card issue i will try new drivers first then try the card swap i think but thanks for your reply

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
ok so drivers and swapping GPU's didnt seem to make any difference beta is closed now will have to play around again once the game comes out

im wondering if i get some new ram which will help anyway and an ssd if this will help make this game run faster and smoother

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
ok so i think i will get:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3GHz Processor BX80569Q9650
saves me overclocking my Q6600 till it explodes

8GB Ram still not sure what though i have trouble finding what ram goes with my computer :(

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD Max IOPS

with my

Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP43-DS3L

ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB

Thermalright Silver Arrow CPU Cooler in case i ever decide to oc the new processor like i did the Q6600

should be able to play bf3 on Ultra settings i should think without overclocking and should last me a couple more years till i have to replace the whole thing

any ideas?

lampybc2

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
i got this computer from a friend i am more of amd fan just looking at:

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD
NZXT Phantom Case Black/Green Edition
Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard
CoolerMaster eXtreme Power Plus 700W
G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB ST2000DL003

and of course the 6970

will be less than $1000

im a gigabyte fan and amd hance the cpu and mobo but the rest of it dont really care i also have a spare dvd player at home (sata)