Why I've nearly given up on mods...

RCV: So I thought it would be interesting to try out the Imoen Romance
mod.... so I did a completely new install of SoA and Tob, all the patches,
Balderash, ec. G3 tweak pack, UB, IU, EoU, yadda yadda.

Leaving the prison [doesn't THAT get tedious after a few years of
playing... laffs] Imoen drops all here stuff IN the prison, the only thing
transferred to the PC is the damned teleporter key. Arghhhhh The auto-save
is of no use since when I load it, Immy is already missing and her stuff is
at my feet. That won't do....

So I go back to a previous quick save, but the same thing happens.
Arghhhhh

So... I decide to uninstall the roance and figure that will fix the
problem. It does.... sort of. Immy leaves with me, and takes her stuff
with her. Groovy. But then it becomes apparent WHY she still has her
stuff - there are now TWO Imoens in the party during the cut scene, one in
her leather armor and one in a mage robe. Lafffs And when she is taken off
by the Cowled Wizards, they only bother to take one of her, the mage - and
leave the one in leather, with all her stuff, with me in the party.

Now as much fun as it might be to keep Immy from the beginning of the
game, I can't help feeling that something is wrong with this situation......

Oh well, time to un-install everything and re-name the ORIGINAL_Override
folder back to Override. After the Nalia romance mod, one whould think I'd
have learned.... :-(

Rich

"Rich C. Velay" <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Leaving the prison [doesn't THAT get tedious after a few years of
> playing... laffs] Imoen drops all here stuff IN the prison, the only thing
> transferred to the PC is the damned teleporter key. Arghhhhh The
auto-save
> is of no use since when I load it, Immy is already missing and her stuff
is
> at my feet. That won't do....

Yeah, this mechanism irritated me too - my group lost
some things my first time through the current version but
after a quick look I decided it wasn't anything too important
so I continued on with the game. I don't recall this disappearing
Imoen effect happening with the older version of the mod that
I used to have.

::sigh myself:: I've become an antique mod affecianado...

Hey, there's another great feature that you would have
encountered with but a little more perseverance - you
have to dawdle rescuing Imoen if you're intent on romancing
her, waiting on the 6 dream sequences, so in compensation
Imoen's XP is set at 1M when you rescue her - it's even set
at 1M if you choose to not romance her and instead rescue
her in a timely manner - shadowkeeper is a necessity for me
with the mod at this point. And I know this "improvement" is
new to the current version.

Still, if you're not completely fed up ( which it seems you
are, but anyway...) I urge you to give it another shot - there
are some quite nice scenes in this mod - really!

"kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message

> "Rich C. Velay" <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Leaving the prison [doesn't THAT get tedious after a few years of
> > playing... laffs] Imoen drops all here stuff IN the prison, the only
thing
> > transferred to the PC is the damned teleporter key. Arghhhhh The
> auto-save
> > is of no use since when I load it, Immy is already missing and her stuff
> is
> > at my feet. That won't do....

Actually, I believe Imoen's inventory does get transferred
to the group, just as it does in the unmodded game; the
problem is that the overflow items are now left in CI
rather than on the grounds of the Promenade.

> "kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rich C. Velay" <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > > Leaving the prison [doesn't THAT get tedious after a few years of
> > > playing... laffs] Imoen drops all here stuff IN the prison, the only
> thing
> > > transferred to the PC is the damned teleporter key. Arghhhhh The
> > auto-save
> > > is of no use since when I load it, Immy is already missing and her
stuff
> > is
> > > at my feet. That won't do....
>
> Actually, I believe Imoen's inventory does get transferred
> to the group, just as it does in the unmodded game; the
> problem is that the overflow items are now left in CI
> rather than on the grounds of the Promenade.

RCV: Which means you lose out on 16-26 "cargo slots" for carting stuff
out. Hmm seems like a poor design decision to me, but then I am not a mod
designer. I mean that represents hundreds of GP worth of stuff you can no
longer get out of the prison.

While that may be a small consideration in terms of the thousands you
will collect later, it does have a not inconsiderable effect on the early
stages.

Myself, I would be curious as to what prompted this change, or is it an
unintended bug?

Rich

"kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hey, there's another great feature that you would have
> encountered with but a little more perseverance - you
> have to dawdle rescuing Imoen if you're intent on romancing
> her, waiting on the 6 dream sequences, so in compensation
> Imoen's XP is set at 1M when you rescue her - it's even set
> at 1M if you choose to not romance her and instead rescue
> her in a timely manner - shadowkeeper is a necessity for me
> with the mod at this point. And I know this "improvement" is
> new to the current version.

RCV: This is easy enough to cheat in w/ SK, without having to play a
mod, if one so chooses. I normally get her reasonably quickly so her XP
amount is not significantly out of whack with the rest of the party anyway.
Besides, I just bring seven scroll cases stuffed full, plus what I can
get in the Sahuagin city, so she gets a fair slice of XP as soon as she's
rescued, or very soon after.
Anyway, her level when she is rescued was never an issue for me this
"feature" is not something I'll miss.

> Still, if you're not completely fed up ( which it seems you
> are, but anyway...) I urge you to give it another shot - there
> are some quite nice scenes in this mod - really!

RCV: The missing stuff is a bother, its not critical - having Imoen
remain in the party after her other self gets taken away is enough of a
serious glitch to make me leery about what other disasters I am going to
encounter down the road.
In my mind, havng two Imoens in the game, one imprisoned, awaiting
rescue, and the other adventuring with me to rescue herself, indicates a
level of buggyness I am not willing to continue to struggle with. This
major bug happened before I could even get to the slums - g*d knows what
might happen after I had actually invested some real hours of play into the
the thing. So no, its uninstalled and I'll play BG2 with only one Imoen.

So now I guess I see what Keto will do to my override folder.... <grins>

> RCV: This is easy enough to cheat in w/ SK, without having to play a
> mod, if one so chooses. I normally get her reasonably quickly so her XP
> amount is not significantly out of whack with the rest of the party
anyway.

Yeah, I do too - her 1M XP is about 300-400k more
experience than my other group members typically have
when we join up. I use SK to lower her experience to
400k - I was ( rather poorly, I think) warning that the
"feature" gives her too much experience. Someday I'm
going to go ahead and lower her experience to whatever
it was when the group escaped CI - it seems odd that
her XP would increase at Spellhold.

> RCV: The missing stuff is a bother, its not critical - having Imoen
> remain in the party after her other self gets taken away is enough of a
> serious glitch to make me leery about what other disasters I am going to
> encounter down the road.

ok, I just thought I'd mention that the mod does have
some very good aspects to it.

BTW, I can't say for sure that Imoen's early departure
in the current mod is a change from the earlier versions -
I had gotten in the habit of removing Imoen's inventory
prior to leaving CI before I had any mods installed at
all just so I wouldn't have to pick stuff up off the ground.
This last game I forgot to do this and that's the only reason
I even knew what you were talking about. It's possible I
switched out her inventory every time while I was playing
the old version of the mod. And BTW, I was not suggesting
that the mod does a good thing with its early Imoen inventory
shuffling - it's horrible - just that I believe it's incorrect to
say that it simply drops the stuff underground as a first option.

> So now I guess I see what Keto will do to my override folder....
<grins>

I have Keto in my current game and haven't yet
encountered any game-breaking bugs. It's early,
of course, but thus far anyway the group retains
its high spirits - all members beaming with confidence.

> "Rich C. Velay" <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> > RCV: The missing stuff is a bother, its not critical - having Imoen
> > remain in the party after her other self gets taken away is enough of a
> > serious glitch to make me leery about what other disasters I am going to
> > encounter down the road.
>
> ok, I just thought I'd mention that the mod does have
> some very good aspects to it.

RCV: I am sure it does, and I remain intruiged by the idea of fleshing
out Imoen and expanding the possibilities of expanding the relationship you
have with here. I should point out that this is the thrird time I have tied
this particular mod over the years - but something always screws up [badly]
with it and I go back to waiting for a couple of more versions to be cranked
out before trying it again.
I like what I have seen of it, I just hate that it seems to [inevitably]
screw up my game.

> BTW, I can't say for sure that Imoen's early departure
> in the current mod is a change from the earlier versions -
> I had gotten in the habit of removing Imoen's inventory
> prior to leaving CI before I had any mods installed at
> all just so I wouldn't have to pick stuff up off the ground.
> This last game I forgot to do this and that's the only reason
> I even knew what you were talking about. It's possible I
> switched out her inventory every time while I was playing
> the old version of the mod. And BTW, I was not suggesting
> that the mod does a good thing with its early Imoen inventory
> shuffling - it's horrible - just that I believe it's incorrect to
> say that it simply drops the stuff underground as a first option.

RCV: I don't mind picking stuff up off the ground by the prison exit, as
long as its the exit in the Promenade so I *CAN* pick it up. I like to
carry as much as I can out of the prison - indeed the only reason I accept
Yoshimo into the party is for his 16 backpack slots and three weapons
slots.... ;-)

> > So now I guess I see what Keto will do to my override folder....
> <grins>
>
> I have Keto in my current game and haven't yet
> encountered any game-breaking bugs. It's early,
> of course, but thus far anyway the group retains
> its high spirits - all members beaming with confidence.

RCV: Groovy. Its made by the same person who made Kelsey, I believe,
which is a plus. I found the Kelsey mod very well done and never had any
problems with at all. Besides the fact that I detested the character.
lafffs But no modded NPC is going to appeal to everyone - what's important
[IMHO] is that the NPC generate an emotional response. Better to hate them
as a character [as I did Kelsey] than to be simply indifferent about them.

Much like Jaheira - I detest her, but she is a great character - well
written and believable, such that she DOES generate an emotional response on
the part of the player. Whether an NPC is memorable because you loved them,
or hated them isn't the issue, what's important, in my estimation, is that
they BE memorable. Discussions about Minsc, or Jaheira or Aerie revolve
around the fact that the character HAS a personality and engage the player
in ways that other NPCs don't. You often see passionate pro/con posts about
any of those three, but rarely about Mazzy or Cernd, for example - they just
don't generate the same passion, for most players, as does a Jaheira or an
Aerie....

But I digress.... lafffs Thanks for the post.

Rich

Rich C. Velay <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote:

:> I have Keto in my current game and haven't yet
:> encountered any game-breaking bugs. It's early,
:> of course, but thus far anyway the group retains
:> its high spirits - all members beaming with confidence.

: RCV: Groovy. Its made by the same person who made Kelsey, I believe,
: which is a plus.

I was a co-author and de facto project leader, although the Keto character concept and much of
the writing is by Victoria Joyner, the author of the Dungeon-Be-Gone mod. But thanks for the
vote of confidence, born of hate though it may be. :)

--
Jason Compton jcompton@xnet.com

"Jason Compton" <jcompton@typhoon.xnet.com> wrote in message
> Rich C. Velay <RCVelay@remove.this.shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> :> I have Keto in my current game and haven't yet
> :> encountered any game-breaking bugs. It's early,
> :> of course, but thus far anyway the group retains
> :> its high spirits - all members beaming with confidence.
>
> : RCV: Groovy. Its made by the same person who made Kelsey, I
believe,
> : which is a plus.
>
> I was a co-author and de facto project leader, although the Keto character
concept and much of
> the writing is by Victoria Joyner, the author of the Dungeon-Be-Gone mod.
But thanks for the
> vote of confidence, born of hate though it may be. :)

RCV: Yeah, that's the guy.... lafffs. And the vote of confidence
wasn't born of hate, but of appreciation. I liked the fact that the mod
[Kelsey] installed correctly, didn't force me to learn Weidu to de-bug
myself, didn't require that I manually change any area files to prevent
crashes, didn't introduce any g*d-like powers, didn't kit him out with a
nuclear powered attack cat, a Staff of the Magi or Boots of Speedy Spell
Reflection. There are innumerable things I loved about the mod.... the
personality of the NPC just wasn't one of them. :) Plus I don't like
Sorcerers so the deck was stacked against him I suppose.
Anyway thanks for all of your work and effort on the part of BG players.
I certainly appreciate it, even if I don't run Kelsey.

K: Have I told you about my difficulties in the business world, friend?

PC: Screw business, damn yer ledgers!! Fry the bloody Yuan-Ti mage
would ye?! <muttermumblesigh>

Rich ^_^

Your problem is easily solved. Never, ever, ever install a mod that's not in
WeiDU format.

-- Emily

"neriana" <neriana@excite.com> wrote in message
> Your problem is easily solved. Never, ever, ever install a mod that's not
in
> WeiDU format.

RCV: Yes, that's one way to protect oneself... however, there are some
good sounding mods on subjects that aren't covered by WeiDU. And I have
been dissapointed by some WeiDU mods as well, both for buggyness and
content. But I certainly agree, in my experience WeiDU stuff is MUCH more
stable and user-friendly.

In any event, I keep trying them out, uninstalling them, re-installing
the game and moving on. :) If nothing else it insures that I defragment
quite regularly when I am playing BG.... ;-)

Rich