Memory problems with AMD board and (2) 128 mb dimm

G

I have an AMD QS750 motherboard with the 650 MHz Athlon processor. I've been running 128 megs of memory since I bought it without a problem (1 128 meg PC100 DIMM). Yesterday I bought another 128 meg PC100 DIMM and since installing it, I'm having nothign both problems loading Windows 98. Sometimes it just reboots itself during loading the OS, othertimes when it goes into safe mode it gives me XMS memory errors and craps out.

If I go back to just 128 megs, everything is fine.
In addition, if I remove my original 128 meg dimm and install the new 128 meg dimm in its place, that works too. So I don't think the problem is with the new DIMM since it works by itself. I only have problems when running both DIMMS at the same time. Either they are somehow incompatible together or my m/b has a problem with the 2nd dimm slot?

ANY HELP?! this is driving me nuts!!!

thanks

jesse

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
did you try your original ram n both slots? That would tell you if it's the slot or the ram.

Or, try the new ram on a buddies computer that already has 128megs

But i bet it's a ram compatability issue. You might want to take your new one back and try to get the same as your original.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
depending on how many banks there are in the machine you might try and rearrange the two dimms in a few differant banks. being that most modern motherboards dont care what bank that memory is in there shouldnt be a problem. I would try the original dimm in the original slot. Then try the new one in the third or fourth slot depending on if there are any availible. Or try the old dimm in the second slot with the new one in the place of the old one. Or the new one in the place of the old dimm and place the old dimm in slot 3 or 4. I had an IBM with a 750 north bridge that you couldnt put micron memory in the third slot. Even though it came with micron memory. Just try moving them around a bit until you find a combination that works or you exhaust all possible combination in which you know that they will not work together. You do however know that both of the dimms work. Just getting them to work together is the problem