Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to install MS bluetooth stack?

Last response: in Technologies
Share
September 1, 2004 6:01:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

Hi,

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious here but... I was under the
impression that XP SP2 included BT drivers for certain devices (in my case
the TDK USB dongle)? So, I shouldn't need the TDK software - or have I got
this wrong?

So, I've done a fresh install of XP, upped it to SP2 and then inserted the
TDK USB device. The OS recognises it and then offers to find the driver. I
select automatic driver install and it tells me it can't find the driver, so
I must be doing something wrong here or misunderstanding what XP SP2
provides.

I've checked out a few MS articles on how to install it and what to do if
the device is not found but...
1. The device _is_ found, the driver isn't!
2. It keeps talking about the Bluetooth icon in Control Panel, but I don't
have such an icon.
3. Some articles talk about running the BT CPL file manually, but that
literally does nothing.

(No, I don't want to install the TDK stack if I can help it.)

Can anyone help please?

Many thanks
Mark
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 6:18:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:01:47 +0100, "Mark"
<mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm sure I must be missing something obvious here but... I was under the
>impression that XP SP2 included BT drivers for certain devices (in my case
>the TDK USB dongle)? So, I shouldn't need the TDK software - or have I got
>this wrong?
>
>So, I've done a fresh install of XP, upped it to SP2 and then inserted the
>TDK USB device. The OS recognises it and then offers to find the driver. I
>select automatic driver install and it tells me it can't find the driver, so
>I must be doing something wrong here or misunderstanding what XP SP2
>provides.
>
>I've checked out a few MS articles on how to install it and what to do if
>the device is not found but...
>1. The device _is_ found, the driver isn't!
>2. It keeps talking about the Bluetooth icon in Control Panel, but I don't
>have such an icon.
>3. Some articles talk about running the BT CPL file manually, but that
>literally does nothing.
>
>(No, I don't want to install the TDK stack if I can help it.)
>
>Can anyone help please?
>
>Many thanks
>Mark
>


Put the dongle in _before_ installing SP2

--


Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
September 1, 2004 6:37:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Shevek" <shevekFOADSPAMMERS@FOADSPAMMERSmoldy.me.uk> wrote in message
news:s0jbj0ldembf10sd9ltkq2hcgrfo7ai83f@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:01:47 +0100, "Mark"
> <mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm sure I must be missing something obvious here but... I was under the
>>impression that XP SP2 included BT drivers for certain devices (in my case
>>the TDK USB dongle)? So, I shouldn't need the TDK software - or have I got
>>this wrong?
>>
>>So, I've done a fresh install of XP, upped it to SP2 and then inserted the
>>TDK USB device. The OS recognises it and then offers to find the driver. I
>>select automatic driver install and it tells me it can't find the driver,
>>so
>>I must be doing something wrong here or misunderstanding what XP SP2
>>provides.
>>
>>I've checked out a few MS articles on how to install it and what to do if
>>the device is not found but...
>>1. The device _is_ found, the driver isn't!
>>2. It keeps talking about the Bluetooth icon in Control Panel, but I don't
>>have such an icon.
>>3. Some articles talk about running the BT CPL file manually, but that
>>literally does nothing.
>>
>>(No, I don't want to install the TDK stack if I can help it.)
>>
>>Can anyone help please?
>>
>>Many thanks
>>Mark
>>
>
>
> Put the dongle in _before_ installing SP2

Oh dear. SP2 is already installed along with heaps of other stuff (i.e. it's
not removable). Thanks anyway.

Any other ideas?



>
> --
>
>
> Shevek
>
> Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
> http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
Related resources
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 7:53:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:37:15 +0100, "Mark"
<mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote:

>
>"Shevek" <shevekFOADSPAMMERS@FOADSPAMMERSmoldy.me.uk> wrote in message
>news:s0jbj0ldembf10sd9ltkq2hcgrfo7ai83f@4ax.com...
>> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 14:01:47 +0100, "Mark"
>> <mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm sure I must be missing something obvious here but... I was under the
>>>impression that XP SP2 included BT drivers for certain devices (in my case
>>>the TDK USB dongle)? So, I shouldn't need the TDK software - or have I got
>>>this wrong?
>>>
>>>So, I've done a fresh install of XP, upped it to SP2 and then inserted the
>>>TDK USB device. The OS recognises it and then offers to find the driver. I
>>>select automatic driver install and it tells me it can't find the driver,
>>>so
>>>I must be doing something wrong here or misunderstanding what XP SP2
>>>provides.
>>>
>>>I've checked out a few MS articles on how to install it and what to do if
>>>the device is not found but...
>>>1. The device _is_ found, the driver isn't!
>>>2. It keeps talking about the Bluetooth icon in Control Panel, but I don't
>>>have such an icon.
>>>3. Some articles talk about running the BT CPL file manually, but that
>>>literally does nothing.
>>>
>>>(No, I don't want to install the TDK stack if I can help it.)
>>>
>>>Can anyone help please?
>>>
>>>Many thanks
>>>Mark
>>>
>>
>>
>> Put the dongle in _before_ installing SP2
>
>Oh dear. SP2 is already installed along with heaps of other stuff (i.e. it's
>not removable). Thanks anyway.
>
>Any other ideas?

No, that is the _only_ way to do it AFAIK

You should be able to uninstall SP2 and reinstall though.

>
>
>
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>> Shevek
>>
>> Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
>> http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
>


--


Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
September 1, 2004 8:32:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Shevek" <shevekFOADSPAMMERS@FOADSPAMMERSmoldy.me.uk> wrote in message
news:4hobj01tkmrjb006k8300c0q2n2hnkapjn@4ax.com...
[snip]
> Put the dongle in _before_ installing SP2
>>
>>Oh dear. SP2 is already installed along with heaps of other stuff (i.e.
>>it's
>>not removable). Thanks anyway.
>>
>>Any other ideas?
>
> No, that is the _only_ way to do it AFAIK
>
> You should be able to uninstall SP2 and reinstall though.
>
>>
>>

I've just rebuilt my PC after a disaster that was either caused by, or
happened at the same time as, an install and then uninstall of the TDK
software. I have read elsewhere that SP2 needs to be installed before
installing the bluetooth dongle, hence the reason that I installed it as I
did. I'm _very_ reluctant to strip out SP2 now as I just know that it'll all
end in tears! To make it worse, I have this nagging feeling that simply
uninstalling SP2, installing the dongle, presumably saying no/cancel on the
"i've found new hardware" screen, and then re installing SP2 won't do the
trick.

What I was really hoping for was something along the lines of...
"You can install the MS BT stack manually by running XYZ..."; or
"It's a registry problem. Simply kill this key, and try again" etc.

I mean, would MS really release a SP that only installs s/w at the time the
SP is applied? That reminds me of my NT 3.51 days and the hassle of repeatly
reallying service packs. Surely they haven't regressed to that?
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 11:27:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

I also lived in hope that I would just be able to plug in the TDK dongle,
after installing XP SP2, but it doesn't work for me either.

I wonder if the problem is that my TDK dongle is older than the ones that
are supported by SP2. I looked at a new dongle today, and it was a
different colour than mine. Yes, I know that the colour isn't going to make
a lot of difference to it being recognised by XP, but if that has changed,
then surely the internals could be different too.

I really can't believe that you need to have the dongle inserted when you
install SP2; thats just sooo 1990s, infact I am sure that I read somewhere
that the correct procedure is to install the service pack first.

I don't suppose that this helps much, but it does show that your not on your
own - I very nearly purchased the other dongle that I saw today, but decided
not to waste my money, but at least if I had, then I would be able to either
prove or disprove my theory.

Malcolm Clark


"Mark" <mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote in message
news:4135eb83$0$15879$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>
> "Shevek" <shevekFOADSPAMMERS@FOADSPAMMERSmoldy.me.uk> wrote in message
> news:4hobj01tkmrjb006k8300c0q2n2hnkapjn@4ax.com...
> [snip]
>> Put the dongle in _before_ installing SP2
>>>
>>>Oh dear. SP2 is already installed along with heaps of other stuff (i.e.
>>>it's
>>>not removable). Thanks anyway.
>>>
>>>Any other ideas?
>>
>> No, that is the _only_ way to do it AFAIK
>>
>> You should be able to uninstall SP2 and reinstall though.
>>
>>>
>>>
>
> I've just rebuilt my PC after a disaster that was either caused by, or
> happened at the same time as, an install and then uninstall of the TDK
> software. I have read elsewhere that SP2 needs to be installed before
> installing the bluetooth dongle, hence the reason that I installed it as I
> did. I'm _very_ reluctant to strip out SP2 now as I just know that it'll
> all end in tears! To make it worse, I have this nagging feeling that
> simply uninstalling SP2, installing the dongle, presumably saying
> no/cancel on the "i've found new hardware" screen, and then re installing
> SP2 won't do the trick.
>
> What I was really hoping for was something along the lines of...
> "You can install the MS BT stack manually by running XYZ..."; or
> "It's a registry problem. Simply kill this key, and try again" etc.
>
> I mean, would MS really release a SP that only installs s/w at the time
> the SP is applied? That reminds me of my NT 3.51 days and the hassle of
> repeatly reallying service packs. Surely they haven't regressed to that?
>
>
>
>
>
September 2, 2004 2:40:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Malcolm Clark" <m.clark80@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:mopZc.113$tq1.20@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>I also lived in hope that I would just be able to plug in the TDK dongle,
>after installing XP SP2, but it doesn't work for me either.
>
> I wonder if the problem is that my TDK dongle is older than the ones that
> are supported by SP2. I looked at a new dongle today, and it was a
> different colour than mine. Yes, I know that the colour isn't going to
> make a lot of difference to it being recognised by XP, but if that has
> changed, then surely the internals could be different too.

Genius! This got me thinking because I also have an early model of the TDK
BT dongle. Coincidence? So, after a failed installation, I checked the
registry and found:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_04bf&Pid_0309
(Note that Pid_0309.)

Comparing this against the BTF.inf file, I noticed:
[TDK.NT.5.1]
TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
USB\Vid_04BF&Pid_0319
TDK Bluetooth USB Adaptor= BthUsb,
USB\VID_04BF&PID_0320

Note that the two Pids of 0319 and 0320. So, I added a line for my version
of dongle to the inf:
[TDK.NT.5.1]
TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
USB\Vid_04bf&Pid_0309
TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
USB\Vid_04BF&Pid_0319
TDK Bluetooth USB Adaptor= BthUsb,
USB\VID_04BF&PID_0320

After deleting the device from device maneger and doing a "scan for
changes", it found the device and installed the MS BT stack! How cool is
that? :-)
Better still: it works in that I can establish a serial connection between
the two and the MS stack finds all the advertised BT services on my phone.

Activesync still doen't work, but that always was a pile of poo! :-)

>
> I really can't believe that you need to have the dongle inserted when you
> install SP2; thats just sooo 1990s, infact I am sure that I read somewhere
> that the correct procedure is to install the service pack first.

Yeah - that suggestion of having the dongle inserted when SP2 is installed
did smell a bit fishy. In fact, I now know where the suggestion comes from:
it's a bastardisation (and I don't mean that in a rude sense!) of the
solution to the problem of having the widcomm drivers installed prior to
SP2. There's a MS KB article about it.

>
> I don't suppose that this helps much, but it does show that your not on
> your own - I very nearly purchased the other dongle that I saw today, but
> decided not to waste my money, but at least if I had, then I would be able
> to either prove or disprove my theory.

Waste your money not - you fixed the problem (or at least helped!).

Cheers
Mark

>
> Malcolm Clark
>
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 12:24:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 00:13:48 +0200, Henryk Plötz
<henryk.nospamplease@ploetzli.ch> wrote:

>Moin,
>
>Am Wed, 01 Sep 2004 15:53:06 +0100 schrieb Shevek:
>
>> No, that is the _only_ way to do it AFAIK
>
>No, it isn't. Inserting the dongle after SP2 installation works just as
>well for me. I own a Microsoft dongle though, so that is supposed to
>work without a problem anyway.

Fair enough... I was only relaying information that I had been given
(hence the AFAIK). My install worked fine without a hitch (MSI PC2PC)

>
>Oh, and could you please reduce the quoted text to the part you're
>actually referring to?

er, no, it was all relevant. Chill, it's not like I top posted ;-)


--


Shevek

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493
September 2, 2004 12:29:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 08:24:21 +0100, Shevek
<shevekFOADSPAMMERS@FOADSPAMMERSmoldy.me.uk> wrote:

>>Oh, and could you please reduce the quoted text to the part you're
>>actually referring to?
>
>er, no, it was all relevant.

Er, no, it wasn't.

> Chill, it's not like I top posted ;-)

It would be better (not good, but better) if you did, having to scroll
down to read a small amount of text is very irritating.
--
Andrew, contact via interpleb.blogspot.com
Help make Usenet a better place: English is read downwards,
please don't top post. Trim replies to quote only relevant text.
Check groups.google.com before asking an obvious question.
Anonymous
September 2, 2004 6:14:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

Check our guide for ActiveSync on
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3163

I would use the TDK driver though. The software provides much more
functionality than SP2...

--
Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp


"Mark" <mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote in message
news:413641e8$0$15880$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>
> "Malcolm Clark" <m.clark80@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:mopZc.113$tq1.20@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
> >I also lived in hope that I would just be able to plug in the TDK dongle,
> >after installing XP SP2, but it doesn't work for me either.
> >
> > I wonder if the problem is that my TDK dongle is older than the ones
that
> > are supported by SP2. I looked at a new dongle today, and it was a
> > different colour than mine. Yes, I know that the colour isn't going to
> > make a lot of difference to it being recognised by XP, but if that has
> > changed, then surely the internals could be different too.
>
> Genius! This got me thinking because I also have an early model of the TDK
> BT dongle. Coincidence? So, after a failed installation, I checked the
> registry and found:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_04bf&Pid_0309
> (Note that Pid_0309.)
>
> Comparing this against the BTF.inf file, I noticed:
> [TDK.NT.5.1]
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
> USB\Vid_04BF&Pid_0319
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adaptor= BthUsb,
> USB\VID_04BF&PID_0320
>
> Note that the two Pids of 0319 and 0320. So, I added a line for my version
> of dongle to the inf:
> [TDK.NT.5.1]
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
> USB\Vid_04bf&Pid_0309
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
> USB\Vid_04BF&Pid_0319
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adaptor= BthUsb,
> USB\VID_04BF&PID_0320
>
> After deleting the device from device maneger and doing a "scan for
> changes", it found the device and installed the MS BT stack! How cool is
> that? :-)
> Better still: it works in that I can establish a serial connection between
> the two and the MS stack finds all the advertised BT services on my phone.
>
> Activesync still doen't work, but that always was a pile of poo! :-)
>
> >
> > I really can't believe that you need to have the dongle inserted when
you
> > install SP2; thats just sooo 1990s, infact I am sure that I read
somewhere
> > that the correct procedure is to install the service pack first.
>
> Yeah - that suggestion of having the dongle inserted when SP2 is installed
> did smell a bit fishy. In fact, I now know where the suggestion comes
from:
> it's a bastardisation (and I don't mean that in a rude sense!) of the
> solution to the problem of having the widcomm drivers installed prior to
> SP2. There's a MS KB article about it.
>
> >
> > I don't suppose that this helps much, but it does show that your not on
> > your own - I very nearly purchased the other dongle that I saw today,
but
> > decided not to waste my money, but at least if I had, then I would be
able
> > to either prove or disprove my theory.
>
> Waste your money not - you fixed the problem (or at least helped!).
>
> Cheers
> Mark
>
> >
> > Malcolm Clark
> >
>
>
September 2, 2004 6:14:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:bmvZc.1667$mZ2.141285@news02.tsnz.net...
> Check our guide for ActiveSync on
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3163
>
> I would use the TDK driver though. The software provides much more
> functionality than SP2...

True, but three things:
1. I'd never been able to get activesync working over BT and this url
recommends using the MS stack and not the widcomm stack, so I thought I'd
give it a go. (BTW, it still doesn't work even with the MS stack!)
2. The TDK stack caused problems every time I uninstalled it. The problems
have been varied, but in each case I was never left with the PC that I
started with. "Once bitten, twice shy" and all that!
3. I use notepad as my HTML editor and that works fine for me. (Get my
drift?) Likewise, the MS stack has everything I need and is actually easier
to use IMHO. This is probably the most significant reason.

[snip]
Anonymous
September 4, 2004 3:16:58 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

I've just discovered on TDK's site www.tdksys.com, that they have a firmware
upgrade available which allows older dongles to work with SP2. I have just
tried this, and confirm that it works.

This has one advantage over your way of editing the bth.ini file, since it
only needs to be done once, and then the dongle can be used in any SP2
machine, in a straight forward pug and play manner.

"Mark" <mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote in message
news:413641e8$0$15880$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>
> "Malcolm Clark" <m.clark80@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> news:mopZc.113$tq1.20@newsfe5-win.ntli.net...
>>I also lived in hope that I would just be able to plug in the TDK dongle,
>>after installing XP SP2, but it doesn't work for me either.
>>
>> I wonder if the problem is that my TDK dongle is older than the ones that
>> are supported by SP2. I looked at a new dongle today, and it was a
>> different colour than mine. Yes, I know that the colour isn't going to
>> make a lot of difference to it being recognised by XP, but if that has
>> changed, then surely the internals could be different too.
>
> Genius! This got me thinking because I also have an early model of the TDK
> BT dongle. Coincidence? So, after a failed installation, I checked the
> registry and found:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\Vid_04bf&Pid_0309
> (Note that Pid_0309.)
>
> Comparing this against the BTF.inf file, I noticed:
> [TDK.NT.5.1]
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
> USB\Vid_04BF&Pid_0319
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adaptor= BthUsb,
> USB\VID_04BF&PID_0320
>
> Note that the two Pids of 0319 and 0320. So, I added a line for my version
> of dongle to the inf:
> [TDK.NT.5.1]
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
> USB\Vid_04bf&Pid_0309
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adapter= BthUsb,
> USB\Vid_04BF&Pid_0319
> TDK Bluetooth USB Adaptor= BthUsb,
> USB\VID_04BF&PID_0320
>
> After deleting the device from device maneger and doing a "scan for
> changes", it found the device and installed the MS BT stack! How cool is
> that? :-)
> Better still: it works in that I can establish a serial connection between
> the two and the MS stack finds all the advertised BT services on my phone.
>
> Activesync still doen't work, but that always was a pile of poo! :-)
>
>>
>> I really can't believe that you need to have the dongle inserted when you
>> install SP2; thats just sooo 1990s, infact I am sure that I read
>> somewhere that the correct procedure is to install the service pack
>> first.
>
> Yeah - that suggestion of having the dongle inserted when SP2 is installed
> did smell a bit fishy. In fact, I now know where the suggestion comes
> from: it's a bastardisation (and I don't mean that in a rude sense!) of
> the solution to the problem of having the widcomm drivers installed prior
> to SP2. There's a MS KB article about it.
>
>>
>> I don't suppose that this helps much, but it does show that your not on
>> your own - I very nearly purchased the other dongle that I saw today, but
>> decided not to waste my money, but at least if I had, then I would be
>> able to either prove or disprove my theory.
>
> Waste your money not - you fixed the problem (or at least helped!).
>
> Cheers
> Mark
>
>>
>> Malcolm Clark
>>
>
>
September 5, 2004 11:11:29 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Malcolm Clark" <m.clark80*I*HATE*@*SPAMMERS*ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:Kuh_c.73$H92.42@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> I've just discovered on TDK's site www.tdksys.com, that they have a
> firmware upgrade available which allows older dongles to work with SP2. I
> have just tried this, and confirm that it works.

I looked (and since you posted this I looked again) and I can't see the
firmware anywhere. I must be going myopic - could you post the url please?
:-)



>
> This has one advantage over your way of editing the bth.ini file, since it
> only needs to be done once, and then the dongle can be used in any SP2
> machine, in a straight forward pug and play manner.
>

Definitely sounds preferable!

[snip]
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 3:23:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

The Guide doesn't recommend using SP2. It's aimed to people using SP2. There
are other guides to non-SP2 software:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449

--
Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp


"Mark" <mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote in message
news:4136ecf5$0$8474$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>
> "Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> news:bmvZc.1667$mZ2.141285@news02.tsnz.net...
> > Check our guide for ActiveSync on
> > http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=3163
> >
> > I would use the TDK driver though. The software provides much more
> > functionality than SP2...
>
> True, but three things:
> 1. I'd never been able to get activesync working over BT and this url
> recommends using the MS stack and not the widcomm stack, so I thought I'd
> give it a go. (BTW, it still doesn't work even with the MS stack!)
> 2. The TDK stack caused problems every time I uninstalled it. The problems
> have been varied, but in each case I was never left with the PC that I
> started with. "Once bitten, twice shy" and all that!
> 3. I use notepad as my HTML editor and that works fine for me. (Get my
> drift?) Likewise, the MS stack has everything I need and is actually
easier
> to use IMHO. This is probably the most significant reason.
>
> [snip]
>
>
Anonymous
September 6, 2004 11:33:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

http://www.tdksystems.com has in its frontpage "Windows XP SP2 - Please
check first before upgrading". Then proceed on the TDKSYS site until you see
"I have Microsoft Service Pack 2 and would like to use the Microsoft
Bluetooth Software". This goes to
http://www.tdksystems.com/content.asp?id=13 which contains the update.

--
Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp


"Mark" <mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote in message
news:413b56d1$0$15884$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>
> "Malcolm Clark" <m.clark80*I*HATE*@*SPAMMERS*ntlworld.com> wrote in
> message news:Kuh_c.73$H92.42@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>> I've just discovered on TDK's site www.tdksys.com, that they have a
>> firmware upgrade available which allows older dongles to work with SP2.
>> I have just tried this, and confirm that it works.
>
> I looked (and since you posted this I looked again) and I can't see the
> firmware anywhere. I must be going myopic - could you post the url please?
> :-)
>
>
>
>>
>> This has one advantage over your way of editing the bth.ini file, since
>> it only needs to be done once, and then the dongle can be used in any SP2
>> machine, in a straight forward pug and play manner.
>>
>
> Definitely sounds preferable!
>
> [snip]
>
September 6, 2004 11:10:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.bluetooth (More info?)

"Mauricio Freitas" <dr.emailposter@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
news:rSJ_c.2209$mZ2.193838@news02.tsnz.net...
> http://www.tdksystems.com has in its frontpage "Windows XP SP2 - Please
> check first before upgrading". Then proceed on the TDKSYS site until you
> see "I have Microsoft Service Pack 2 and would like to use the Microsoft
> Bluetooth Software". This goes to
> http://www.tdksystems.com/content.asp?id=13 which contains the update.

Silly me - there's me doing daft things like using "search" and "downloads"
and so on. I didn't know anyone read home pages these days. :-)

Cheers
Mark

>
> --
> Mauricio Freitas, Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices
> Bluetooth guides: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=449
> Performance Centre (Pocket PC reviews):
> http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?ContentId=2028
> Handango discount: http://www.geekzone.co.nz/handango_code.asp
>
>
> "Mark" <mark@REMOVETHISBITmossywell.com> wrote in message
> news:413b56d1$0$15884$cc9e4d1f@news.dial.pipex.com...
>>
>> "Malcolm Clark" <m.clark80*I*HATE*@*SPAMMERS*ntlworld.com> wrote in
>> message news:Kuh_c.73$H92.42@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
>>> I've just discovered on TDK's site www.tdksys.com, that they have a
>>> firmware upgrade available which allows older dongles to work with SP2.
>>> I have just tried this, and confirm that it works.
>>
>> I looked (and since you posted this I looked again) and I can't see the
>> firmware anywhere. I must be going myopic - could you post the url
>> please? :-)
>>
>>
>>
>>>
>>> This has one advantage over your way of editing the bth.ini file, since
>>> it only needs to be done once, and then the dongle can be used in any
>>> SP2 machine, in a straight forward pug and play manner.
>>>
>>
>> Definitely sounds preferable!
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>
>
!