Black Ops screws up my router

G

Hey.

I have a really odd problem and I was wondering if someone has had similar issues.

I can start Black Ops fine, connect to a server etc, but after playing for some time, I can't see the server list and I can't visit any web sites unless I restart my router (which is a gateway to my modem) and then everything is fine until I play some games, then I can't refresh the server list or open up any websites. The game and ventrilo runs fine even after the server browser/websites stop working.

Anyone having similar issues or knows how to handle this?

Thank you.

erkme

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I am having a similar issue. Every time I finish playing Black Ops for the PC, I have to reset my router because I no longer have access to the internet.

Brian_tii

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
What router / firmware are you guys running? I haven't had any issues thus far but haven't played for extended periods yet. I'm using a Cisco ASA with 8.2(3).

pilotfalcon

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I have the same problem..Do we miss something in the setup of router or something? or is this a game glitch ??
Aztech DSL605EW

riser

Illustrious
I'm using a Linksys E1000 and I don't experience this problem.

You may want to try updating your firmware on the router. You can also do a complete reset on your router and re-configure it.

I'm guessing you're not using big brand name routers?

erkme

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I am using a Linkysys wrt54g with dd-wrt installed. It is not related to the quality of the router in my case. The issue is happen to various router types.

pilotfalcon

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Ok guys..I have upgraded my modems' firmware and now there is no problem...But it is interesting because up to this time I didn't have any problem like this with any game but with black ops...!...

riser

Illustrious
Black Ops did just come out... It is using a new engine and Steam. It could be doing a lot of other things in the background that we don't know right now.

Just because it works for other games doesn't mean new things are going to work on it.

erkme

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Here is the solution I found after quite a bit of searching. Go to your router settings. Change the maximum ports to 1024. Change the TCP timeout to 400. Change the UDP timeout to 120. I also enabled DMZ on the ip address of the pc. Others have suggested that you update to the latest firmware. With the settings mentioned above you should not continue to experience the disconnects from the router and internet.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=82379&highlight=black+ops

seacliff

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010

Have you tried it by just putting your ip address of the pc in the DMZ? By putting it there, the PC doesn't go through the router firewall anymore, which might be the issue.

By reading the 2nd post of your link, you can read that Black Ops is a P2P game, which can do just that, overload your router with request. I've had some issue with routers before where if I wasn't limiting the number of connection at the same time to the P2P client, I would lose internet access and had to reset my router. I think that might be the actual issue with some people. I don't have Black Ops, therefore I dunno if it can be done, but can you limit the number of connection at the same time?

I wouldn't recommand adding your pc to the DMZ if you don't have too.

erkme

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010

The DMZ was not necessary for this fix. I disabled the DMZ and just edited the following in the router settings.

Change the maximum ports to 1024. Change the TCP timeout to 400. Change the UDP timeout to 120.

airtaz

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2005
This has just started with me today. Brand new Netgear N300 router.

It's definately something with the game. Once I quit Black Ops, the internet browsing is gone. Once I click on the diagnose and get more info...it comes back.

HarlequinForest

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
Heck, I have a similar problem with Call of Duty 4. Sometimes, when I refresh the server browser list, it will fail to refresh and I will completely lose Internet access, temporarily.