D70 or D100

Last response: in Digital Camera
April 8, 2005 1:35:04 AM

Hello all,
From the specs of the Nikon D70 and D100 I gather that the both of them
are pretty much on par spec-wise. The D100 is considerably more expensive
though. Why would anyone choose a D100 over a D70 these days? This is not
a troll but a genuine question. I'm planning on buying one of these as a
companion to my F90X film SLR.
I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash sync?
I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the vertical
grip option.

Bas

More about : d70 d100

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 4:40:18 AM

There is a vertical battery grip on the market for a D70. Visit the URL
below

http://www.harbortronics.com/VGD70.asp

I'm going to buy the vertical grip, probably from our local camera shop.

Bob

"Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@thoushaltnot.spam.extranet.kompas-media.nl> wrote in
message
news:p an.2005.04.07.19.35.04.333860@thoushaltnot.spam.extranet.kompas-media.nl...
> Hello all,
> From the specs of the Nikon D70 and D100 I gather that the both of them
> are pretty much on par spec-wise. The D100 is considerably more expensive
> though. Why would anyone choose a D100 over a D70 these days? This is not
> a troll but a genuine question. I'm planning on buying one of these as a
> companion to my F90X film SLR.
> I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
> nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
> differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash sync?
> I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the vertical
> grip option.
>
> Bas
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:57:33 AM

"Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@thoushaltnot.spam.extranet.kompas-media.nl> wrote:

> Hello all,
> From the specs of the Nikon D70 and D100 I gather that the both of
> them are pretty much on par spec-wise. The D100 is considerably more
> expensive though. Why would anyone choose a D100 over a D70 these
> days? This is not a troll but a genuine question. I'm planning on
> buying one of these as a companion to my F90X film SLR.
> I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
> nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
> differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash
> sync? I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the
> vertical grip option.
>
> Bas

The noise that the D70 exhibits at high ISO is more filmlike than the
D100's. It a lower color noise:luminance noise ratio. The D70 writes
faster. If you shoot RAW, the D100's uncompressed files are huge and the
compressed ones take an ungodly amount of time to write. On the other
hand, you can use a release cable on the D100 (the D70s will have this
capability). The D100's vibration reduction mode to cut mirror slap is a
big plus in my book. I use a D100 at work and own a D70. I think the
vertical grip is a joke. We got one with our D100 but never use it. Our
hands aren't deformed so we can hold a camera in the vertical position
as easily as the horizontal for any length of time. Also, you can clean
the D70's CCD while on battery power. No need to buy the exorbitant
Nikon power supply.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 9:57:34 AM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
> "Bas v.d. Wiel" <bas@thoushaltnot.spam.extranet.kompas-media.nl> wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>> From the specs of the Nikon D70 and D100 I gather that the both of
>> them are pretty much on par spec-wise. The D100 is considerably more
>> expensive though. Why would anyone choose a D100 over a D70 these
>> days? This is not a troll but a genuine question. I'm planning on
>> buying one of these as a companion to my F90X film SLR.
>> I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
>> nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
>> differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash
>> sync? I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the
>> vertical grip option.
>>
>> Bas
>>

> The noise that the D70 exhibits at high ISO is more filmlike than the
> D100's. It a lower color noise:luminance noise ratio. The D70 writes
> faster. If you shoot RAW, the D100's uncompressed files are huge and the
> compressed ones take an ungodly amount of time to write. On the other
> hand, you can use a release cable on the D100 (the D70s will have this
> capability). The D100's vibration reduction mode to cut mirror slap is a
> big plus in my book. I use a D100 at work and own a D70. I think the
> vertical grip is a joke. We got one with our D100 but never use it. Our
> hands aren't deformed so we can hold a camera in the vertical position
> as easily as the horizontal for any length of time. Also, you can clean
> the D70's CCD while on battery power. No need to buy the exorbitant
> Nikon power supply.

Of the four digital cameras I own only the Olympus E 20, has a vertical grip
battery pack that has been great for shooting lots of photos in one day. I
hate changing batteries to keep shooting, especially if they are AA size and
rain and snow is falling.

There is no need to buy a vertical grip for the D70 in order to hold the
camera better. It is quite easy to hold without any vertical grip.

I just returned from a 30 day cruise with 1,230 large photos. If you are
interested, you can see a few greatly reduced photos of the cruise including
Antarctica on the WEB at:

http://www2.hagenhosting.com/~naborswe/cruise/Cruise.ht...

Bob
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:55:21 PM

In article
<pan.2005.04.07.19.35.04.333860@thoushaltnot.spam.extranet.kompas-media.
nl>, Bas v.d. Wiel <bas@thoushaltnot.spam.extranet.kompas-media.nl>
wrote:

> I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
> nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
> differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash sync?
> I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the vertical
> grip option.

The first difference in in the electronics, the second in the film
camera they're based on. The D70 is electronically more modern and
quite a bit faster. The signal processing is better as well.

BUT, the D70 is based on a rather low priced consumer body; it's less
robustly constructed. The biggest flaw is the use of a "pentamirror"
instead of a solid pentaprism. While this makes it lighter and less
expensive, it's at the cost of viewfinder brightness, contrast, and
magnification.

Me, I'd like to see a blend of the two. There are rumors this will
happen sometime this summer.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 1:55:22 PM

Scott Schuckert <not@aol.com> writes:
> BUT, the D70 is based on a rather low priced consumer body; it's less
> robustly constructed. The biggest flaw is the use of a "pentamirror"
> instead of a solid pentaprism. While this makes it lighter and less
> expensive, it's at the cost of viewfinder brightness, contrast, and
> magnification.

The D100 is also based on a low priced consumer body (the F80/N80).
I guess The D70 is based on an even lower priced consumer body.

> Me, I'd like to see a blend of the two. There are rumors this will
> happen sometime this summer.

The models coming this summer are the D70S (fairly minor upgrade to
the D70) and the D50 (entry level DSLR to compete with the Digital
Rebel). Any new amateur model higher than the D70S will probably not
happen til late 2005 at the earliest.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:29:55 AM

"Scott Schuckert" <not@aol.com> wrote in message
> In article
> <pan.2005.04.07.19.35.04.333860@thoushaltnot.spam.extranet.kompas-media.
> nl>, Bas v.d. Wiel <bas@thoushaltnot.spam.extranet.kompas-media.nl>
> wrote:
>
>> I've noticed the D100 can be expanded with a vertical grip, which is a
>> nice extra I'm very happy with on my F90X, but is that really all that
>> differentiates these two cameras aside from the D70's faster flash sync?
>> I'm not ready to pay a premium of hundreds of euros just for the vertical
>> grip option.
>
> The first difference in in the electronics, the second in the film
> camera they're based on. The D70 is electronically more modern and
> quite a bit faster. The signal processing is better as well.
>
> BUT, the D70 is based on a rather low priced consumer body; it's less
> robustly constructed. The biggest flaw is the use of a "pentamirror"
> instead of a solid pentaprism. While this makes it lighter and less
> expensive, it's at the cost of viewfinder brightness, contrast, and
> magnification.
>
> Me, I'd like to see a blend of the two. There are rumors this will
> happen sometime this summer.

Have you disassembled a D70? I do not believe that the urban myth of a
pentamirror is correct.

Regardless, as the owner of both, the D70 does not suffer in brightness,
build quality or anything else to the D100. I would buy the D70 in a
heartbeat and will be selling my D100 as I bougtht a D2X

Tom
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 8:48:10 AM

Scott Schuckert <not@aol.com> wrote:

> The biggest flaw is the use of a "pentamirror"
> instead of a solid pentaprism.

Not true. They specify a 'penta-dach-prism'. Dach is German for roof. It's
a roof prism, not a porroprism made of mirrors. Nikon could have made this
clearer if they would hire a few more English speakers.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 12:59:39 PM

In article <Xns9636E7F66DF8Bdilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:

> Not true. They specify a 'penta-dach-prism'. Dach is German for roof. It's
> a roof prism, not a porroprism made of mirrors. Nikon could have made this
> clearer if they would hire a few more English speakers.

It's possible I'm wrong; I haven't taken one apart. I'm basing this on
the following - the film body the D70 is based on uses a pentamirror;
and two Nikon factory reps have told me personally that it uses a
mirror arrangement. The fact that (my eyes, at least) see a clear
difference in the VF tends to confirm this.

ANYONE out there seen one apart?

Also, my information shows that both roof prism and porro prisms are
traditional solid glass prisms. Were you implying that a porroprism was
the same as what I've been calling a "pentamirror"?
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 5:12:58 PM

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:59:39 -0400, Scott Schuckert <not@aol.com>
wrote:

>In article <Xns9636E7F66DF8Bdilfjelfoiwepofujsdk@216.168.3.30>,
>Bubbabob <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote:
>
>> Not true. They specify a 'penta-dach-prism'. Dach is German for roof. It's
>> a roof prism, not a porroprism made of mirrors. Nikon could have made this
>> clearer if they would hire a few more English speakers.
>
>It's possible I'm wrong; I haven't taken one apart. I'm basing this on
>the following - the film body the D70 is based on uses a pentamirror;
>and two Nikon factory reps have told me personally that it uses a
>mirror arrangement. The fact that (my eyes, at least) see a clear
>difference in the VF tends to confirm this.
>
>ANYONE out there seen one apart?

Read the very last post (bottom of the page) first, then read the
others if you want to see the full discussion. It would, unless models
differ between countries, seem that it is a (smaller) pentaprism.

http://www.nikonians.org/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az...

or

http://tinyurl.com/4z234

>Also, my information shows that both roof prism and porro prisms are
>traditional solid glass prisms.

From what I can find, yes.

I'm certain the D70 penta-conspiracy is not going to be solved quickly
unless we see photos.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga

In article <fi6q51hf43om1qgmdqipq0gp1hl8sgnhop@4ax.com>, Owamanga
<owamanga(not-this-bit)@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Read the very last post (bottom of the page) first, then read the
> others if you want to see the full discussion. It would, unless models
> differ between countries, seem that it is a (smaller) pentaprism.

Yikes! I'd been assuming this was simply a little-known fact, not the
subject of a major controversy!

If everyone who posts here will chip in a buck or two towards a body,
I'm willing to trash a bandsaw blade...

Perhaps the best statment I can make is that the D70's I've personally
seen had viewfinders that were smaller, dimmer, and lower in contrast
that any Nikon film SLR I've ever owned - and that the D100's I've seen
were MUCH closer to that standard.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 6:17:16 PM

Scott Schuckert <not@aol.com> writes:
> If everyone who posts here will chip in a buck or two towards a body,
> I'm willing to trash a bandsaw blade...
>
> Perhaps the best statment I can make is that the D70's I've personally
> seen had viewfinders that were smaller, dimmer, and lower in contrast
> that any Nikon film SLR I've ever owned - and that the D100's I've seen
> were MUCH closer to that standard.

I know as a fact that the D100 is based on the F80/N80 35mm SLR body
and I believe it uses the same viewfinder system, masked off for the
smaller image area of the DX sensor compared to a 35mm film frame.
I'm under the impression (but am not sure) that the D70 is based on
the F75/N75 and uses similar masking.

Likewise, the D1[h,x] and D2[h,x,hs] series are based on sort of a
hybrid F100/F5 platform (now recirculated into the F6) but again use a
35mm viewfinder system masked down to DX size. So -ALL- the Nikon
DSLR's have a much smaller apparent finder image than the
corresponding 35mm versions.

I don't know when they will get around to making DSLR viewfinder
systems that are correctly sized for the actual sensors they're using,
so we can again have big viewfinder images.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 9:35:22 PM

Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

> Have you disassembled a D70? I do not believe that the urban myth of a
> pentamirror is correct.
>
> Regardless, as the owner of both, the D70 does not suffer in brightness,
> build quality or anything else to the D100. I would buy the D70 in a
> heartbeat and will be selling my D100 as I bougtht a D2X

Holy buckets! What was the reason to buy a D100, then a D70 followed by
a D2X? This is not a critical question, but rather, I am curious.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse
April 14, 2005 5:42:45 AM

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Holy buckets! What was the reason to buy a D100, then a D70 followed
> by a D2X? This is not a critical question, but rather, I am curious.

Good > Better > Best. Makes sense to me.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 5:42:46 AM

Bubbabob wrote:
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Holy buckets! What was the reason to buy a D100, then a D70 followed
>>by a D2X? This is not a critical question, but rather, I am curious.
>>

> Good > Better > Best. Makes sense to me.

Someone with adequate funds in pursuit of perfection.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

> Bubbabob wrote:
>> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Holy buckets! What was the reason to buy a D100, then a D70 followed
>>>by a D2X? This is not a critical question, but rather, I am curious.
>>>

>> Good > Better > Best. Makes sense to me.
>
> Someone with adequate funds in pursuit of perfection.
>

> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

I missed a middle question, but I suspect this was directed at me. I bought
the D100 when it was the only 'affordable'. Added a D70 as a second body.

Happiness ensued!

Now I have been enjoying them both for long enough that I was ready for
more. Namely the D2X.

Awesome camera.

Tom
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 2:51:50 PM

Tom Scales wrote:
> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Bubbabob wrote:

>>>Good > Better > Best. Makes sense to me.
>>
>>Someone with adequate funds in pursuit of perfection.
>>

>>--
>>Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
>

> I missed a middle question, but I suspect this was directed at me. I bought
> the D100 when it was the only 'affordable'. Added a D70 as a second body.
>
> Happiness ensued!
>
> Now I have been enjoying them both for long enough that I was ready for
> more. Namely the D2X.
>
> Awesome camera.
>
> Tom

At more than 2lbs. and over $3000, it is a rather expensive boat anchor.
Nice camera for someone who doesn't have to carry it much. Probably
great for the studio.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:15:20 PM

Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> writes:
> At more than 2lbs. and over $3000, it is a rather expensive boat
> anchor. Nice camera for someone who doesn't have to carry it much.
> Probably great for the studio.

That's only if you're used to point and shoot cameras. The D2x is
lighter than the 35mm SLR cameras that photojournalists and so forth
are used to carrying. My F3/MD4 is probably twice as heavy as a D2x.
The older F2 systems were even heavier. Don't forget too, that those
guys often shot 50+ rolls of film per day, and they had to carry that
too, plus they were constantly changing film cartridges. They even
usually carried two or three cameras so they could use different types
of film or lenses (zooms weren't so good before not that long ago).

Digital even at the D2x level is incredibly convenient compared to
what photographers are used to.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:59:04 PM

news:D 5v7e.4348$c42.2438@fe07.lga...
<snip>
> At more than 2lbs. and over $3000, it is a rather expensive boat anchor.
> Nice camera for someone who doesn't have to carry it much. Probably great
> for the studio.
>
> --
> Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net

Let me guess. Never used one? Can't afford one?

I have.

It's not that heavy. I've shot thousands of images, carried it around the
US, etc., etc.

Worth the weight. If you think the 20D or D70 is good, then your standards
are too low.

Tom
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:34:46 AM

Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>Worth the weight. If you think the 20D or D70 is good, then your standards
>are too low.

What do you see as the primary benefit of the D2X over the D70?
Viewfinder? Colour quality? Ergonomics? Build quality? (Not
mpix, surely).

What fundamentally makes it orth 5.5x the price? (And please
don't say 'all,together')

--
Ken Tough
Anonymous

"Ken Tough" <ken@objectech.co.uk> wrote in message
> Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
>
>>Worth the weight. If you think the 20D or D70 is good, then your
>>standards
>>are too low.
>
> What do you see as the primary benefit of the D2X over the D70?
> Viewfinder? Colour quality? Ergonomics? Build quality? (Not
> mpix, surely).
>
> What fundamentally makes it orth 5.5x the price? (And please
> don't say 'all,together')
>
> --
> Ken Tough

I DO see megapixels as important -- I print up to poster size on my Epson
7600. Pixels are important. However, beyond that:

1) Image usability -- the JPEGs out of the camera can be used without
touchup. They're stunning. Not true of the D70 and D100 if you want the
best images. In addition I can shoot RAW+JPEG FINE, which I cannot do with
either of the other bodies.

2) Speed. Between full size 12mp and cropped 6mp, the speed is incredible.
I shoot a lot of sports. The 2X multiplication in crop mode is great for
use in sports

3) Build quality is superior. No ifs, ands or buts

4) Ergonomics. The controls are outstanding and clearly superior

I could go on.

Is it worth $5K? Depends on your use. To me, it was, but $5K may not mean
as much to me as it does to you.

Tom
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:30:50 AM

Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

[...]
>1) Image usability --
>2) Speed.
>3) Build quality is superior. No ifs, ands or buts
>4) Ergonomics. The controls are outstanding and clearly superior
[...]

Great, thanks.

--
Ken Tough