New build won't POST

brich_us

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
I bought a Gigabyte GA-Z68xP-UD3, Intel i5-3570k LGA1155 CPU and 4x G.SKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR RAM. Built system. Won't POST. Flash screen comes on, then the system shuts down. Is the memory incompatible? I tried everything. Replaced CPU, MB and PSU.

Solution

Dang, I totally missed the fact that he is using an Ivy Bridge processor. You nailed it.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
What exactly happens after you see the Gigabyte Splash screen? Can you boot to BIOS by tapping DEL or F2 key? What happens if you let it pass the splash screen, do you get any error message on the screen?

Bread board the system with the motherboard outside the case on an insulated surface like the box it came in. With just the CPU/cooler, 1 stick RAM in 1st slot, monitor in the on-board HDMI port, and PSU connected... see if you can boot to the point where it just presents a flashing cursor on the screen due to no HDD/operating system. (start the system by shorting the 2 pins that the pwr sw. would connect to)

brich_us

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
The Splash screen comes up, then the system turns off then re-starts. I am unable to get to the BIOS. I've tried DEL and everything else. I did bread board the system and got the same result (I built it anyway because i didn't know any better). I've tried remove all of the RAM, and the system just doesn't do anything. I've tried one stick of RAM and I get the same result.

Well, that's the thing. You can't. At least not without a Sandy Bridge CPU installed. There's no way to do it with an Ivy CPU installed.

You have 3 options, though. You can buy a cheap Sandy Celeron, you can borrow a Sandy CPU from someone, if someone you know has one (or even a local computer shop), or you can just return the Z68 board and get a Z77 board.

Personally, I would probably just return the Z68 board and get a Z77 board.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Dang, I totally missed the fact that he is using an Ivy Bridge processor. You nailed it.

Solution

brich_us

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012

Thanks. I upgraded to the GA-Z77x-UD3H and it works! Now my problem is that it only recognizes 16GB of the RAM. Any ideas? I have 32GB. Thanks.

brich_us

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
New problem: Upgraded to Windows Ultimate and my system still won't recognize the full 32GB of RAM. Only 16GB. Any idea? Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UD3H, Intel i5-3570k LGA1155 CPU and 4x G.SKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR RAM.