Sign in with
Your question

Temps on my Gigabyte GTX560ti OC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2011 10:25:17 AM

Hi,

I'v monitored my temps while playing the Witcher 2 and max was ~80-82*C.

Due to the casual artifacts problem I had to downclock my GPU from 900 to 882mhz (I rma'd it once but didn't help and I don't want to give it away for another two weeks) or bump my voltage from 0,987 to 1,000.

But with the higher voltage my temps jump to ~84-86*C.

The question is - isn't it a bit too high? My case is Cooler Master Elite 331. I have one fan in front drawing cool air in, one in the back exhausting hot air and one on the side, exhausting hot air exactly from the GPU area.

P.S.

Total offtop question to the native english speakers. In this sentence (drawing cool air in ; exhausting hot air ) Should I put any article before "cool" and "hot" or is it fine? :) 
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 11:30:50 AM

Are you using the newest drivers? Witcher 2 had a few problems, especially on high settings... use the latest nVidia drivers and the latest Witcher 2 patch. How about temps in other games?
August 2, 2011 12:12:20 PM

Yep. Both are upgraded to the newest versions.

Temps in other games are lower - usually up to 76*C max
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 12:46:22 PM

76C is a bit too high, I usually get max 72C, but the MSI version has better cooling. How about posting a few games and corresponding temps so that I can compare? ;) 

Also, try reversing the case fan that sucks the air from the GPU area - make it blow on the GPU, instead. I've found it to be better like this in my case.
August 2, 2011 12:58:04 PM

Sure, I'll post some screens from Afterburner after my work (~7h) with the fan reversed already.
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 1:19:17 PM

Also, if you're using Afterburner, you can make custom fan profiles - make sure your fans go up to 100% after 65C or so... 75% around 60C, 60% around 55C, etc. - you get the idea =)
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 2:13:01 PM

Quote:
I'm ATI/AMD but from my reading before I picked my 6850 Nvidia cards are safe in gameplay at 86c.

nVidia says on their GTX 560 Ti page that the temperature limit is 99C, so you're right. But... the cooler, the safer, don't you agree? ;)  Can't be too careful.
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 3:03:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah if you're one of those that don't upgrade your video card at lease in the next two years. Heck way back when I upgraded from my 1650pro (which was a year old) I decided to see how long my x1650pro would last in a torture test. It held up without BSOD for over 12 hours. It still powers a small rig I built for emulating NES to PS1 games. (Lots of great titles in those days)

Lol, no, I hope I don't have to upgrade it for at least 3 years. Maybe I'll SLI another one there, but no upgrade... there's nothing that my current card can't max out, anyway, and when there will be, I'll get a second one :)  But so far we only get console ports. Not like I'm complaining, some of them are great, but nothing that pushes the card to the limits. They're planning to make new consoles soon, though, so maybe SLI will be needed. And respect for actually using the x1650... I always feel so sorry for the old tech that still works flawlessly and yet ends up in the garbage dump! =)

@rogigor: since it'll take you a while to post the graphs, I hope you don't mind a bit of sidetracking :)  Also, do you get artifacts in other games?

I looked at your case and while it's not that bad, I'm sure that upgrading to a case with a better cooling system would also help. I mean, you only have 3 fans... it's not like my case is the greatest, either, but I have 5 fans slots, out of which 4 are installed and I can have 2 intake and 2 exhaust, while you're forced to choose between intake or exhaust on the side. Anyway, let's wait for the graphs :) 

Quote:
In this sentence (drawing cool air in ; exhausting hot air ) Should I put any article before "cool" and "hot" or is it fine?

Not a native English speaker, but I'm convinced that there're no articles needed here.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 5:46:59 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
76C is a bit too high, I usually get max 72C, but the MSI version has better cooling. How about posting a few games and corresponding temps so that I can compare? ;) 

Also, try reversing the case fan that sucks the air from the GPU area - make it blow on the GPU, instead. I've found it to be better like this in my case.

My top card regularly sits at about 77c - 81c and has done so for the last four months, much of that time has been 24/7 folding.
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 5:59:18 PM

Mousemonkey said:
My top card regularly sits at about 77c - 81c and has done so for the last four months, much of that time has been 24/7 folding.

That's probably due to SLI (second card - airflow obstruction?); I have a single card. You have MSI, too?

Anyway, 72C is the most I've ever seen on my card.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 6:01:51 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
That's probably due to SLI (second card - airflow obstruction?); I have a single card. You have MSI, too?

Anyway, 72C is the most I've ever seen on my card.

It hits about the same if I only run the one card, and no they are not MSI's
August 2, 2011 6:29:29 PM

Normal gaming I run 68-74C, just started folding and temps rose to 76-80C. I am using the Superclocked EVGA 560 Ti. I did have high temps on The Witcher 2 but thats because I run at max settings :p 
August 2, 2011 9:39:32 PM

amk-aka-Phantom said:
Also, if you're using Afterburner, you can make custom fan profiles - make sure your fans go up to 100% after 65C or so... 75% around 60C, 60% around 55C, etc. - you get the idea =)

Yeah I get it :)  I have it set almos like you mentioned.

I'll try reversing fan to blow cool air on my gpu and do some testing but on thursday. I just got back home and im exhausted. I'll also post some graphs with the temperature in a few games and some benchmark(s). Stay put! :) 
August 2, 2011 9:56:47 PM

The other guys are helping with the temps, so for your English. You do not need an article infront of pulling air in or exhausting hot air. It's okay to put one but it's not needed. Good luck with your temps and if you ever rma msi twin frozr II is awesome!
August 2, 2011 10:44:28 PM

Actually, got home and its now 70C from folding all day... although the ambient temperature in my room is lower than before. I agree with phantom, have the side fan blow air on the GPU, you will notice a temp decrease.

The side of my case is off (for now until I get an extension cable for the sidefan) and I do have my pc next to the central air vent so thats probably helping out a lot...

If all else fails, take the side of your case off, get a box fan, and your pretty much set :D  :D  (kidding)
August 3, 2011 8:37:46 AM

As tired as I was I did some testing yesterday anyway. I ran Unigine Heaven Benchmark 2.1 and the temps were:

1) 882mhz/1764, voltage 0,987, fan blowing air on gpu - Max 72*C

2) Same as above but with the but with fan sucking air from gpu - Max 73*C

3) 882mhz/1764, voltage 1,000, fan suckin air from gpu - Max 76*C

I bumped the voltage a bit because I had some artifacts in first two settings (have to rma my card...)

I'll post temp results from some games on Thursday anyway.
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 11:33:45 AM

Well, at least this tells you that it's better to have the fan blowing on the GPU - that's already good =)
August 3, 2011 1:40:36 PM

What do you set your fan speed % to on MSI Afterburner?

Now I have a different fan setup on my card (rear exhaust from 1 fan) but I usually run on Auto and my card hovers between 70-80C at 99% usuage on different games/benchs. I increased the fan to 60% and my temps go down to around 60C, and at 100% my temps go down to around 55C.

I am assuming the dual fan set-up would be better for cooling, I have always had rear-exhaust GPUs so I really don't know.
a c 271 U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 1:43:27 PM

Katzie said:
What do you set your fan speed % to on MSI Afterburner?

Now I have a different fan setup on my card (rear exhaust from 1 fan) but I usually run on Auto and my card hovers between 70-80C at 99% usuage on different games/benchs. I increased the fan to 60% and my temps go down to around 60C, and at 100% my temps go down to around 55C.

I am assuming the dual fan set-up would be better for cooling, I have always had rear-exhaust GPUs so I really don't know.

I leave my fans on auto simply because once they they go above 2600 rpm they howl like banshees who have their testicles caught in a blender! :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 3:07:10 PM

Sure, they howl... but I can't hear them, since I'm wearing headphones! :) 

So, I have 4 nodes on my graph in Afterburner:

1) 35C - 30%
2) 50C - 50%
3) 65C - 70%
4) 70C - 100%

Actually, howling like a banshee is the best way to describe the noise they make on 100%, lol... so I usually don't play Crysis at late night - the neighbours get upset :D 
August 3, 2011 4:02:08 PM

Your case might be the problem with the high temps. If you have the money, or when you upgrade, I highly suggest a case with at least 1 top exhaust fan, 2 is better as well. I have the Antec P190 and I have 2 front intakes, my rear is in an intake push/pull config for my H70 Rad, the Bigboy 200mm side fan (modded it to be outside the case since it conflicts with the H70 Rad) which blows on my card (dont have the fan on yet... need an extension power cable to hide the cable) and my top 2 fans are 140mm and they exhaust the air from inside the case. Its pretty loud... I wouldn't say high pitched howling loud but its like a low hum... and everything in my system stays cool. It is kinda weird but sometimes I put my hand over the top of the 2 top fans and it feels like cold air is blowing out of the case.

With your cards fan design as well... the hot air is expelled in the case, and not directly outside the case, so having a case that has very good airflow is key for you.

Also, how is your cable management? Do you have a lot of clutter around the motherboard? This will disrupt airflow and hurt your air cooling inside your case. Should look something like this (will be harder if you don't have a space behind the mobo to stash extra cables).

August 5, 2011 10:44:03 AM

I don't have any gap in my case to hide additional cables but I have them organized with flex-cuffs. You know - wrapped together and pushed insine my hdd cage. I will post some photos of how it looks like but later, with the temp graphs.

Sorry it takes so long but I had to do something very urgent in the meantim.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2011 10:51:21 AM

airflow, and a custom profile might need some tweaking. Witcher 2 makes my GPU run hotter than most games as well (70c max in other games, 72-74c in certain parts of witcher2).
!