Sign in with
Your question

Possible problem with PSU

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2012 12:48:39 PM

I have lately built a new desktop computer and unfortunately I am having lots of problem with it:

Spec:

Motherbroad: GIGABYTE-H61M-S2H
CPU: I5 2300 2.8Ghz
RAM: 6Go 1333Mhz
GPU:Nvidia GT 520 2Go DDR3
HDD: Western Digital 750 Go
Case:Sagitta 2 lcd panel
No optical drive

At first the PSU was 300watt got damaged in no more than a week, (a noisy sound at start up), now replaced with 400 watt after around 1 month same thing happned but sometimes the Pc works sometimes it doesn't.

I calculted the power supply need for my pc here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
It said it needs around 300 watt only??

More about : problem psu

January 3, 2012 1:06:46 PM

you might just be unlucky, but what brands power supplies are you useing? some are not very good.

its odd to have 6GB of ram on a dual channel board. its best to have 2 or 4 sticks. and each pair must be identical sizes for it to use dual channel. it may not work if its not the exact same model. depends on board and ram.
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2012 1:09:10 PM

So....you tried to power that system wieth a 300w psu..........? Really?

A QUALITY 400w psu would probably be enough to power that system.

A GENERIC 400w psu might only put out an actual 250w. Depends on the make and model of psu were talking about.

Since you failed to mention the brand and model of the psu, I'm going to assume it's generic and that's your problem.
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2012 1:10:15 PM

What PSU brands are you using? Something reputable with a 80PLUS rating? Or just the cheapest generic one you can find?

Recommended PSU brands include: Corsair, XFX, SeaSonic, Antec.

80PLUS rating is always recommended.
January 3, 2012 1:17:52 PM

It is the cheapest generic PSU :( 
I think I will have to buy an Antec
Thanks everyone for your advice, thanks farrengottu for you advice about the RAM
January 3, 2012 1:34:18 PM

farrengottu said:

its odd to have 6GB of ram on a dual channel board. its best to have 2 or 4 sticks. and each pair must be identical sizes for it to use dual channel. it may not work if its not the exact same model. depends on board and ram.

Can this cause serious problems crash or hardware problems?
Or just performance issue.
a b ) Power supply
January 3, 2012 1:55:33 PM

Bad PSU's can cause all kinds of bad things. You are just lucky when the first one went out, it did not take your entire system with it. Antec is a good call. For your system the Antec EarthWatts Green EA-430D will be fine if available. It does not sound powerful, but it is and it is relatively inexpensive.
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 3, 2012 2:16:04 PM

hotaka said:
I have lately built a new desktop computer and unfortunately I am having lots of problem with it:

Spec:

Motherbroad: GIGABYTE-H61M-S2H
CPU: I5 2300 2.8Ghz
RAM: 6Go 1333Mhz
GPU:Nvidia GT 520 2Go DDR3
HDD: Western Digital 750 Go
Case:Sagitta 2 lcd panel
No optical drive

I calculted the power supply need for my pc here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
It said it needs around 300 watt only??

And unless that " Sagitta2 LCD panel" is some kind of extreme power hog and connected to your psu, the calculator is correct.
You have a low power system, the GT 520 uses slightly more power under max load than the 6970 in this cpu review uses while idle,

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i5-25...
!