Sign in with
Your question

Unlocking 4th Core on AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE

Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2012 1:29:35 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm posting my question to the CPU forum thinking that the right people are probably here, even though my question is around unlocking a 4th core. (If this isn't the right place, I apologize.)

I recently picked up a AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE and thought I might experiment around with unlocking the 4th core - even though I know it's really a hit/miss chance if my processor is capable.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard (with latest firmware) and in setting ACC to "Hybrid" and the other selection (forgot the specification) I tried both "All cores" and "per core".

Each time the PC posts fine and I show the proc as "Phenom II x4 20" in BIOS - which is what I expect. However, whenever it boots into Windows 7 (32 bit still), it blue screens.

Now I understand this might be my "sign" that my 4th core cannot be enabled - but getting up to this point, has anyone tried any tricks (with the core % values or voltage) that might be a recommended option?

I did some Google searching and I couldn't necessarily find any recommendations on if a % change per core could make a difference -and I didn't want to poke around and potentially break the processor in the process.

I know it's also a stretch - but should I even make the processor changes and boot into a clean, newly installed version of the OS to see if that makes a difference? I wouldn't think so, but I'm open to ideas.

BTW, once I put the ACC setting back to "disable" the PC boots into the OS fine (shows x3 720 again) - so it's definitely some BIOS setting or the unlock itself causing this problem.

Any tips, suggestions, etc, are greatly appreciated. I fully know this isn't a guarantee I'll get the 4th core to work, but it's definitely fun to try......

Thanks,
k

BTW -I also upgraded the fan/heatsink combo (no longer using stock), just in case the 4th core or extra voltage will cause more heat
a c 104 à CPUs
January 3, 2012 4:26:38 PM

Try giving a little extra voltage over stock, some motherboards don't give the exact value and your cpu may just need a little extra help.
m
l
!