Low end PC has 500W ps should i upgrade to higher ps?

evilgummybear

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hi

CPU = amd 955
PS= 500w
VID = gt460se
Memeory = 4gb ddr2
mb = MSI k9a2 cf

I currently have an amd 955 cpu and is Overclocked to 3.6ghz with stock cooling. CPU temp hits 48degrees on idle, prob around 50mark when playing games.

I know for sure once it hits summer the cpu temp will raise much more. i dont plan on upgrading my mb/cpu until next yr when diablo 3 is out. I also dont plan on Upgrading My VGA until next yr. However next yr i do plan on getting 3x or 2x high end vid cards and xfire/sli them with new MB/CPU upgrade.

As for now i really want to buy the nzxt phantom case and purchase the corsair h100 hydro cooling, i need a good cooling unit since i have OC my cpu. As for the Power supply, will i need a new one for the hydro cooler??
If i do, should i get an 850w psu or 1000w psu? keep in mind i plan on xfire next yr with either 2x or 3x vdu cards.
A big question, is if i purchase a big watts PSU will it burn out my system with its current specs since it seems like an overkill in watts considering i have old parts in there for now.

Solution
As adrian said it doesn't hurt to have a higher capacity PSU.

There only thing that it does cause is that unless your current system taxes it enough, you might be running at a less than ideal wattage range and the efficiency suffers.
But your system should be fine with the OC'd CPU and all, so even a 1000W psu would be at a reasonable level when the system is under load.

Since you have time and your current setup works ok, look for sales on the high quality units in the ranges Adrian listed.
Here is a reference for you: Tiered list of PSU's.

Seasonic X series, Corsair AX and HX series are very high up there.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
Having an over-kill PSU wont burn out any components, the PSU will only deliver the power the components need. A higher wattage just means its capable of delivering more, if it needs to.

750w should be plenty for SLI, but if your planning on adding a third card, id suggest just go ahead with 1000w.

If your buying new vid cards, here's a rough PSU requirement:
Single 6950/GTX50Ti = 500w
Single 6970/GTX570 = 600w
Single GTX 580 = 650w
SLI 6950/GTX560Ti = 750w
SLI 6970/GTX570 = 850w
SLI GTX580 = 900-1000w

rvilkman

Distinguished
As adrian said it doesn't hurt to have a higher capacity PSU.

There only thing that it does cause is that unless your current system taxes it enough, you might be running at a less than ideal wattage range and the efficiency suffers.
But your system should be fine with the OC'd CPU and all, so even a 1000W psu would be at a reasonable level when the system is under load.

Since you have time and your current setup works ok, look for sales on the high quality units in the ranges Adrian listed.
Here is a reference for you: Tiered list of PSU's.

Seasonic X series, Corsair AX and HX series are very high up there.

Solution

evilgummybear

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Many thx guys, will indeed invest in new case and psu and the wonderfull Corsair h100 that i love so much. Next yr i will most likely get 2x or 3x new vdu cards

Just had to be safe that getting a high end psu wont burn anything out. Happy to hear that it doesnt.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished

You have no idea how long i've been trying to hunt down that PSU link! I found it once before and forgot to save/bookmark it! Great reference when looking to buy a new PSU.