Sign in with
Your question

What does audio volume, etc. do for DD, DTS digital out?

Tags:
  • Sound Cards
  • Blu-ray
  • Components
Last response: in Components
January 3, 2012 5:13:39 PM

Folks,

In my setup, my HTPC is connected to AV Receiver via HDMI.

I also have a Bluray player connected to AVReceiver via HDMI.

In my experiment, I am playing the same movie on the Bluray player as well as my HTPC.

In both cases, the movie sends DD5.1 format to the AV Receiver as indicated by the front panel of the AV Receiver.

However, when I play the movie though the player, the sound is louder and crisper.

I don't understand this. If it were PCM signals being sent to the AV Receiver, I can understand that there could be some deterioration in amplitude. But in our case, both the sources are sending out digitally encoded format. Shouldn't they sound exactly the same? Why would the Bluray player sound better?

Also, what does "audio volume" adjustment on the HTPC do in case of digital formats such as DD and DTS? I am thinking they do not carry any amplitude information.

Besides volume, are there any other adjustments that can be done on the HTPC in case of digital format?

For the reference, the motherboard on the HTPC is Asus A75F1V-PRO and the APU is AMD A8-3850. The motherboard has onboard HDMI port.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regards,
Peter

More about : audio volume dts digital

January 3, 2012 5:26:24 PM

They do have amplitude information in them, alot of home dvd and bluray players have a multi-channel format pre-amplification function that is enabled by default.

Sometimes voices on ripped HD movies sound a bit too quiet when playing them on the PC, because they are recorded to preserve the biggest dynamic range possible when there are firefights or explosions or youname it, alot of video players have a function called "DTS/AC3" preamplification because of that, what most home players do is infact apply a significant gain (14db or so) and a normalizer so that the quiet bits dont sound too quiet, but only on multichannel formats not on stereo.
m
l
!