Music Production

zjohn89

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hi guys. So here is the deal. My friends are in a band, and lately they have taken off quick. They approached me the other day and asked me how much it would cost to build them a music production system.

Now they have a good amount of money to spend, and are not shy of throwing down what it takes to get a good system for their needs. I sat for a bit to try to think about an estimate, and i came up with about an 800-1000$ system that would satisfy all the needs of my friends and maybe more.

I base that estimate purely off the software they plan on using, which in their case is Pro Tools. Im fully comfortable building basic PCs or Gaming and/or Visual Entertainment PCs, but i as for Music Production im alittle lost. I know one thing for sure, is that it should support MIDI.

So if anyone here can please give me additional information on what it takes to build a Music Production System, like maybe specific hardware or certain chipsets that might work better, or anything you guys might feel like i should know about a system like this. Please school me.

Any help and reply would be greatly greatly appreciated. Thank you!

lewza

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
I believe generally a normal machine will be ok for this, one that has quite a bit of power though!

Music production programs - Reason, Fruity Loops, Acid, Traktor etc are all resource hungry!

I would definitely recommend atleast 8gb memory. The main piece of hardware you are going to need is a high quality Sound Card. Like you say one with Midi just incase they plan on using Midi controllers. You will want a few other connections to so they can plug in microphones/amps etc and so it allows direct transfer of audio to there machine.