Sign in with
Your question
Closed

3 way SLI GTX 580 Hydro Copper 2 w\o watercooling?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2011 8:41:29 PM

Due to a ridiculous amount of luck I have come upon three of these babies. However, I don't know about\want a water cooling system. Is it still possible to use these cards without water cooling them? Would they heat up too much? Can I safely remove the water blocks on the cards?
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 8:57:42 PM

You could put aftermarket air coolers on them, but you couldn't run them without any kind of cooling.

Edit: But for the price of three aftermarket air coolers you could put together a quality watercooling loop to take care of all three of them, since your cards already have the waterblocks in place.
Score
August 2, 2011 9:29:14 PM

I don't have any water cooling experience, and where I live water cooling supplies other than self contained CPU coolers are scarce and very expensive.

I've never used VGA coolers before. Won't I need to remove the waterblocks first to install them? Will they fit in a 3 way SLI setup? My mobo is an Asus Rampage III Extreme.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2011 10:06:02 PM

Yes, you'll have to remove the waterblocks. Whether or not they fit depends on what coolers you get. If they're double-slot you should have no problem, but triple-slots won't work.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 2:08:09 AM

Sell them all ! get 2 new cards and pocket the rest
August 3, 2011 2:19:20 AM

spentshells said:
Sell them all ! get 2 new cards and pocket the rest

Yeah this is what I would do, why would you even need 3?
Score
August 3, 2011 3:28:31 AM

Hmm. Selling them is a great idea. What is the best place to sell such hardware? Ebay?
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 3:49:07 AM

Yeah, eBay them.
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 4:11:04 AM

It would be a shame to pass up the chance to run 3 580's in tri-sli, no it would be a sin. I'd do the research and build a custom loop. Swiftech is a good place to start looking. I don't know what kind of case you have but check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwoggSbCxo
Score
a b U Graphics card
August 3, 2011 4:15:06 AM

tinmann said:
It would be a shame to pass up the chance to run 3 580's in tri-sli, no it would be a sin. I'd do the research and build a custom loop. Swiftech is a good place to start looking. I don't know what kind of case you have but check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbwoggSbCxo

I still feel this way as well.
Score
August 3, 2011 4:57:52 AM

I have an Obsidian 800D. If you guys can direct me to a good water cooling installing guide, I will give it a shot.
Score
August 13, 2011 5:54:07 AM

Best answer selected by Anthias.
Score
a c 273 U Graphics card
August 13, 2011 7:25:44 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!