Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaBiker

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
I just purchased both a new video card and monitor. I can connect them by either DVI or HDMI. I know that the main difference is that HDMI also carries sound. Not needing sound is there any advantage of one over the other? Thanks.

soloby

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Either will be fine, but HDMI has a better quality. Whether or not your eyes can tell the difference is a different story, however, so go with the one you find convenient. Some companies might advertise as HDMI being so much better than DVI but they are both digital signal so you will get optimal image quality.

festerovic

Distinguished
Pretty informative, if a bit long:

http://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/products/articles/122868.html

Here is the conclusion to the bit -

So, which is better, DVI or component? HDMI or component? The answer--unsatisfying, perhaps, but true--is that it depends. It depends upon your source and display devices, and there's no good way, in principle, to say in advance whether the digital or the analog connection will render a better picture. You may even find, say, that your DVD player looks better through its DVI or HDMI output, while your satellite or cable box looks better through its component output, on the same display. In this case, there's no real substitute for simply plugging it in and giving it a try both ways.

AlphaBiker

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks Guys for the replies. Since the quality is the same I'll go with the DVI because with the HDMI I have to use an adapter for the mini HDMI connection on my video card. Less connections is probably better with all other things the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS