Sign in with
Your question

Should I upgrade Processor and Graphics card

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in CPUs
January 3, 2012 9:59:28 PM

Over the last 18 months I have 90% upgraded my old pc bit by bit.

It has

CPU E6600 Core 2 Duo
Graphics Card EAH 4350 Silent 512MB
Motherboard ASUS P5G41c MLX
Memory 4GB Kingston DDR3 PC3 10600
heat sink and fan (standard intel for LGA 755 socket)
Hard Drive Hitachi 500GB HD721050
Optical drive Lightscribe, Hardly used Pioneer used for Burning Dual layer xbox games

Over christmas my son has aked for a gaming machine of his own to play Minecraft, Team Fortress, Battlefield 3, Black Ops, MW2 MW3. My current PC plays all these games, (apart from some echoing on battlefield 3, but can tweak the audio card to fix this issue)

My budget is not great but Im willing to sell my PC with a spare 17" monitor and then purchase new parts in a decent gaming pc case with cool features, bay options) with dedicated fans.

The two parts that I am looking to start the upgrade on are and the heat sink/fan, Theres a company Zalman on ebay that look pretty decent, the other part is the case, Something smart (but not from Thermaltake due tot the cost of them) with easy acess for adding new hard drives internally and also externally and adding additional 2.5 and 3.5 bay items. Also a case that can handle Cable tidying to keep the cables out of sight.

With the spec that I currently have, how much do you think i could sell in on for as the main parts are roughly 12 months old and I still have all the pacaking and CDs with the drivers.

My CPU is now 4 years old, would that need any upgrade to a newer type or change to AMD, (thinking its best to try a keep upto date with games releases and future Specs of games.

Thnaks for reading

scott

More about : upgrade processor graphics card

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 1:22:17 AM

selling it on its only worth what some one is willing to pay for it--it may be worth more as parts though its more hassle that way

but i have bought better pcs than that for £100 from ebay for friends

i would start with your case then pick the other parts

as it sounds like you have a low budget then your new pc should be amd cpu based as you will get decent performance for a lower price

the heatsink may depend on how small a case you get as well

wouldnt really go for zalman nowadays there seem to be many better options at cheaper prices

knowing what sort of budget you have for a new pc would be helpfull

and what do you consider too expensive for a case?

and what about a second hand pc from ebay--you can get a decent second hand pc for not a lot of money--i always try to find one locally so you can see it working

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 1:33:53 AM

Yes, the budget's the most important thing.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 1:58:34 AM

I rarely hear of someone basing a build on a case and a CPU HSF.
I would think you can keep the DDR3 RAM, DVD burner, hard drive and graphics card for a new build. What is your power supply? Maybe your case can be salvaged?
Newer games require a lot of CPU power as well as a stong video card in the $250+ range.
A motherboard and CPU will cost from $225 to $350 or so.
Are these prices within your budget?
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
January 4, 2012 2:33:48 AM

DelroyMonjo said:
I rarely hear of someone basing a build on a case and a CPU HSF.
I would think you can keep the DDR3 RAM, DVD burner, hard drive and graphics card for a new build. What is your power supply? Maybe your case can be salvaged?
Newer games require a lot of CPU power as well as a stong video card in the $250+ range.
A motherboard and CPU will cost from $225 to $350 or so.
Are these prices within your budget?

well if he gets a mini atx case and a huge heatsink it would be fun

so if starting from scratch i always decide the case first then make sure something like a Noctua NH-D14 or similar

will fit in there

maybe im just loopy :pt1cable:  --but it works for me

!