Can't figure this out: 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, or 9800GTX XXX Edition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevOne

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hi all,

I recently bought this card, used, and it didn't come with any of the original retail packaging. I know it's an XFX 9800 GTX, since that's what it says right there on the card itself. However, I know XFX made several editions of this card; and I can't tell which one it is that I have personally, because the art/design is no different between the different cards. I looked up the MPN that was found on a sticker underneath the card, and it's PV-T98F-YDDU. If I do a Google search for this part number, it returns many different results: 9800GTX, 9800GTX+, 9800GTX XXX Edition, and 9800GTX+ XXX Edition. As you can see, this is rather confusing. So, I have no idea which card this is, and I was hoping someone would be able to shed more light on the matter. Thanks so much in advance! :)

Solution
Is it a 55nm GPU or 65nm GPU? Is it running the standard clockspeed or is it OC'd? This sort of thing may be why XFX and Nvidia went their separate ways IMHO.

RevOne

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Hmm... good thinking there, mousemonkey. Looks like I'm going to have to wait until my CPU cooler arrives to finally get this system together, so that way I could run CPU-Z/GPU-Z to find out. I don't have another one to test it in, unfortunately. Otherwise, there are no clear indicators that say anything about either of those things even with all the stickers and such that are affixed on the unit itself.

RevOne

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Yeah, I suppose you're right: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+9800+GTX%2F9800+GTX%2B . Oh well, I guess I'll find out for certain once the system is built. Still, hope it turns out that it's the faster of the two cards. Plus, the GTX+, with its die shrink, consumes a little less power, runs a little less hot, has its stock clocks already set at higher frequencies, and overclocks A LOT better than its earlier 65nm counterpart. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help folks. Guess it's just going to have to be one of those "wait and see" situations.

I think it may matter, having once picked up two identical looking XFX6600GT's and only discovering when I got home that they had slightly different ID codes but were quite different in performance. Don't get me wrong I liked XFX cards but that was my one major nark with them as a company.

Status
Not open for further replies.