Just purchased this computer, tell me what you think

alphaxundxomega

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Hey guys, I've just purchased this gaming computer from iBuypower (Put the sub-cat as CyberPower, I've heard they are the same company but under different management or something) and I wanted your honest opinions.

At the bottom you'll find the computer's order form, but here is the "Easier on the eyes" version of what it is, made by me. Enjoy!

Case: NZXT LEXA-S Crafted gaming armour

-Black, with Blue accent Lights

-Engraved ( The Engraving reads "CTHULHU" <See the monster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu - And see the story by H.P Lovecraft
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Call_of_Cthulhu> as I love the monster/story about the monster and I'm naming the computer after the monster
<I love to name my computers :)>)

-Case is can be found here : http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/crafted_series/lexa_s

CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 965 @ 3.4Ghz quad core

-Runs (Total) close to 14Ghz (I rounded up so the number looked more appealing haha)

-Can be found @ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

GPU: Nvidia GTX 550 ti

-1GB of GDDR5

-Can be found @
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...code=webgoopa&cm_mmc_o=mh4cjc7bbtkwcjcv1-cjce

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (4GBx2)

-iBuyPower claims it will be "Corsair or major brand" so I don't have a link or any other info on it (Yet)

HDD: 1TB 7200RPM HDD

Mobo:Asus M5A97 w/ AMD 970

Mainly I will use this computer for Games such as BF3.

This computer was purchased for about $840.00, and combined with Peripherals (32'' TV/Monitor, Gaming Mouse, Gaming Keyboard, Gaming secondary keyboard thing <Believe its a Logitech G110 or something? Has like 30 keys that can be customized>, Games, Other expansions <Such as a 5.25 Bay eSata device>, Blu-Ray Read/writer, etc, etc) the whole system will cost between $1250 and $2000 (A large undertaking for a Sophomore in school who has to pay most of this stuff out of his own pocket, currently being laid off and buying Airsoft parts too). So combined with all my peripherals, the System itself, and all the other stuff what do you think? :) Negative and positive comments welcomed and somewhat encouraged haha. Now here is IBP's order form:

1 x Case (NZXT Lexa-S Gaming Case - Black w/ Blue Light))
1 x Processor (AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 CPU (4x 3.40GHz/6MB L3 Cache)))
1 x Motherboard (ASUS M5A97 -- AMD 970))
1 x Memory (8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand))
1 x Video Card (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti - 1GB - Single Card))
1 x Case Lighting (None))
1 x Power Supply (600 Watt -- Standard))
1 x Processor Cooling (Certified CPU Fan and Heatsink))
1 x Video Card Brand (Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA))
1 x Primary Hard Drive (1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s - Single Drive))
1 x Data Hard Drive (None))
1 x 2nd Optical Drive (None))
1 x Optical Drive (24X Sony Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black))
1 x Sound Card (3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard))
1 x Speaker System (None))
1 x Network Card (Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)))
1 x Monitor (None))
1 x Operating System (Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit))
1 x Warranty (3 Year Standard Warranty Service))
1 x Rush Service (Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days))
1 x Advanced Build Options (Tuniq TX-2 High Performance Thermal Compound - The best interface between your CPU and the heatsinks))
1 x Video Camera (None))
1 x Headset (None))
1 x Meter Display (None))
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer (None))
1 x 2nd Monitor (None))
1 x Free Stuff ([Free Game Voucher] - Dungeon Siege 3 - Free with Purchase of NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 or above))
1 x Free Stuff ([Free Game Download] - Just Cause 2 - Free with Purchase of NVIDIA Video Card))
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction (None))
1 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion (None))
1 x Motherboard USB / SATA Interface ([Free] Internal USB 3.0 PCI-E 2.0 x1 Expansion Card))
1 x Monitor Cable (15 ft. DVI to DVI Cable (DVI-D Dual Link, resolution up to 2048x1536 )))
1 x USB Expansion (None))
1 x Case Engraving Service (Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) [CTHULHU]))

Subtotal:
$764.00
Tax:
$0.00
Ground Shipping:
$75.00
Order Total: $839.00

Its an OK computer and will serve you well .

You can do better next time by building your own , but since windows is included its a reasonable build and the right mix of parts for future upgrades .

But please dont ever say your processor runs at 14 GHZ again . It doesnt . It has four individual processor cores each of which is running at 3.4 GHz
Big difference

alphaxundxomega

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
@Outlander: Really? Well I guess I've been lied to haha. I'm only beginning A+ and a friend of mine who already is A+ and almost Network+ certified told me his hexacore allowed him to run at ***x6 (*** = his processors clock speed) so I honestly didn't know and was told that it would run at that haha. I meant collectively they would run at 14 but if that's not the case I apologize for my novice-ness. And thanks for the info! haha

@FinneousPJ: Well I built it to be up to most of BF3's system reqs (Preffered) and since the preferred was GTX 560, i figured GTX 550 wouldn't be all too bad.

alphaxundxomega

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
@p07h34d

Really? I had no idea :/

Well there is room for upgrades - But I'm a Sophomore in high school, laid off, I rather not feed off all my parents money (they just bought me and my sister cars, and a bunch of other crap, so I'd rather not ask for even more haha seeing as I got 2-3k already and I'm not trying to be spoiled or anything). I will upgrade as I need to.

i would be interested to know what brand of 600w PSU they use, for future upgrade possibilities. If its a budget brand PSU the 600w rating will be a lie. I also agree with above posts about the 550ti being pretty below average for gaming. For gaming at 1080p resolution the minimum you want is a gtx460 or ati 6850 (the 550ti is slower than these.)

alphaxundxomega

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
@iam2thecrowe

I'm not sure, they didn't give a brand. It might be, but I hope not. And really? Well a while back the reqs for BF3 that where reccomended was a 550ti. Bumping it up to 560 later and I decided to say "**** it" i don't need anything higher yet. I mean my computer is still better than anyone's at my school so it doesn't matter to me haha. Most of them have laptops that aren't meant for gaming or walmart/bestbuy/etc computers haha.

Powerdan88

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I think it's pretty good.
it's better than what I have the money to get.
you lucky americand can use cyberpower.
in canada, I have to buy the stock systams at like best buy's website and then upgrade them where needed!
nice build though.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
I like all your computer parts except for the graphics card. It probably won't be powerful enough to run modern games in 1080p.

However for about $100 you should be able to pick up a second gtx 550ti and use then you can use SLI. Here is a chart showing the increase in speed from going to SLI.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-550-ti-gf116-radeon-hd-5770,2892-15.html

You'll have to ask these other people if your power supply can handle it though. (^)

And here is a pretty good place to buy one if you do decide to go SLI.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261105

alphaxundxomega

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
@Wannabepro

Hey man thanks tip. I'll definitely look into getting a second card in SLI and I'm pretty sure the 600w can take it. If it can't, well I have a friend with tonnes of spare parts that he sells for cheap/trades. I got 4GB Ram for a 20GB IDE drive haha.

alphaxundxomega

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
@Wannabepro

Also, would a 2GB Radeon 6870 do better? I'll be purchasing one within a month or so, and selling my GTX550ti to my friend (Same one) for about $100.00 and free computer servicing/repair :)