natasha

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2003

I created a menu choice on the popup menu for folders to
go to that directly to that directory in a DOS window,
which is a very handy thing. Trouble is the first time I
did it, I made a typo in the Action name and now I can't
get rid of it. I am logged in with admin priveleges, but
when I select the Action in the Edit File Type dialog,
both the Edit and Remove buttons are always disabled. I
also tried logging in as the true administrator to the
machine, but the buttons were still disabled. Does anyone
know any other way of getting rid of menu choices on the
popup menu for a folder? There are other commands I'd
like to get rid of as well. Thanks.

Natasha

PS Here is how you add the command to the popup menu:

1. Tools > Folder Options > File Types

2. Click Folder file type.

3. Click Advanced button.

4. Click New and configure:

Action: Command Prompt Here

Application Used to Perform Action: c:\windows\system32
\cmd.exe /K cd

Natasha wrote:
> I created a menu choice on the popup menu for folders to
> go to that directly to that directory in a DOS window,
> which is a very handy thing. Trouble is the first time I
> did it, I made a typo in the Action name and now I can't
> get rid of it. I am logged in with admin priveleges, but
> when I select the Action in the Edit File Type dialog,
> both the Edit and Remove buttons are always disabled. I
> also tried logging in as the true administrator to the
> machine, but the buttons were still disabled. Does anyone
> know any other way of getting rid of menu choices on the
> popup menu for a folder? There are other commands I'd
> like to get rid of as well. Thanks.
>
> Natasha
>
> PS Here is how you add the command to the popup menu:
>
> 1. Tools > Folder Options > File Types
>
> 2. Click Folder file type.
>
> 3. Click Advanced button.
>
> 4. Click New and configure:
>
> Action: Command Prompt Here
>
> Application Used to Perform Action: c:\windows\system32
> \cmd.exe /K cd

Natasha

Or you could use the Microsoft PowerToy, "Open command window here". <bg>

--
Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

Type regedit in Start Run and navigate to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

If after adding cmd to directories (known as File Folder in Filetypes - not all folders can have a command prompt, eg My Computer) the default command has changed type in Start Run
regsvr32 /i shell32
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"Natasha" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46f501c4734e$ac730940$a401280a@phx.gbl...
> I created a menu choice on the popup menu for folders to
> go to that directly to that directory in a DOS window,
> which is a very handy thing. Trouble is the first time I
> did it, I made a typo in the Action name and now I can't
> get rid of it. I am logged in with admin priveleges, but
> when I select the Action in the Edit File Type dialog,
> both the Edit and Remove buttons are always disabled. I
> also tried logging in as the true administrator to the
> machine, but the buttons were still disabled. Does anyone
> know any other way of getting rid of menu choices on the
> popup menu for a folder? There are other commands I'd
> like to get rid of as well. Thanks.
>
> Natasha
>
> PS Here is how you add the command to the popup menu:
>
> 1. Tools > Folder Options > File Types
>
> 2. Click Folder file type.
>
> 3. Click Advanced button.
>
> 4. Click New and configure:
>
> Action: Command Prompt Here
>
> Application Used to Perform Action: c:\windows\system32
> \cmd.exe /K cd

Hmm. Not quite sure what your telling me to do. When I
navigate to that key, shell Type is REG_SZ and Data is
none. Under shell is find and under find are other
entries. What to do? Thank you!

Natasha

Look under Folder rather than directory then. All directories are folders but not all folders are directories (eg My Computer and Control Panel). Therefore a file system command should have been put under Directory (known as File Folder in Filetypes dialog) as there is no directory if you choose Command Prompt here for My Computer.

Commands for Directories are added together from AllFileSystemObjects (all files and directories), Folders, and Directory.

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:487c01c47353$a8c26b10$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Hmm. Not quite sure what your telling me to do. When I
> navigate to that key, shell Type is REG_SZ and Data is
> none. Under shell is find and under find are other
> entries. What to do? Thank you!
>
> Natasha

natasha

Distinguished