Sign in with
Your question
Solved

From Core 2 Duo X6800 to Core 2 Extreme QX9650 in Dell XPS 700: Possible? Worth

Last response: in CPUs
January 4, 2012 1:24:34 AM

Hello,

I have a Dell XPS 700 that I find is unable to run newer games (e.g. Serious Sam 3, Portal 2) at great quality. I'm still running XP (upgrading soon to 7), and I haven't done anything to the hardware, so it's all still factory-spec.

I'm wondering about upgrading the CPU; I currently have a Core 2 Duo X6800. With this setup, would it be possible to upgrade to something like a Core 2 Extreme QX9650? If so, would there be anything in particular I'd need to do (with BIOS, etc.) to make the upgrade? Thanks in advance!
a c 172 à CPUs
January 4, 2012 2:39:03 AM

:hello:  Welcome to the forums.

Apparently, the motherboard is not compatible with the 45 nm CPU's.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

Your best option, unless you already have the QX9650, may be a CPU, motherboard, and RAM swap using an i5-K.

If you do have the QX9650, trying to find an Asus or Gigabyte P43/P45 would probably be best.
m
l

Best solution

a c 127 à CPUs
January 4, 2012 2:50:03 AM

^Problem is that the Dell XPS lines tend to have proprietary setups, this one is very proprietary, which means he wont be able to use standard ATX form factor mobos. I would call it DTX but in reality its crapTX since it limits everything.

To the OP, the X6800 should be fine for Portal 2. What GPU do you have? Considering your CPU I would assume you have a nVidia 8800 series or ATI equivalent (HD2K series) as thats what was around during that CPUs reign. Upgrading that will kick up your gaming ability before the CPU will.

As well, it may just be worth it to go for a new system instead of wasting money on a dead end PC that you can't upgrade anything more than the RAM, GPU, HDDs or DVD drive.
Related resources
January 13, 2012 11:28:53 PM

jsc said:
:hello:  Welcome to the forums.

Apparently, the motherboard is not compatible with the 45 nm CPU's.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3...

Your best option, unless you already have the QX9650, may be a CPU, motherboard, and RAM swap using an i5-K.

If you do have the QX9650, trying to find an Asus or Gigabyte P43/P45 would probably be best.

jimmysmitty said:
^Problem is that the Dell XPS lines tend to have proprietary setups, this one is very proprietary, which means he wont be able to use standard ATX form factor mobos. I would call it DTX but in reality its crapTX since it limits everything.

To the OP, the X6800 should be fine for Portal 2. What GPU do you have? Considering your CPU I would assume you have a nVidia 8800 series or ATI equivalent (HD2K series) as thats what was around during that CPUs reign. Upgrading that will kick up your gaming ability before the CPU will.

As well, it may just be worth it to go for a new system instead of wasting money on a dead end PC that you can't upgrade anything more than the RAM, GPU, HDDs or DVD drive.

Thanks for the responses! I picked this thing up on the Dell Outlet as "previously ordered new," so I obviously didn't have much choice in the specs (that's what you get for being price conscious!). I'll probably get more RAM once I upgrade to Win7. I think part of my problem might now be the video cards going (Nvidia 7950 GX2, set up with SLI), but that's another issue for another forum ;)  .

m
l
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2012 11:38:13 PM

get a newer mid range gpu. I think your cpu is still more than capable for running games like portal 2 and serious sam 3.
m
l
January 24, 2012 11:26:06 PM

Best answer selected by snowbiker.
m
l
!