Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8Z77-V Pro Slow download/upload

Last response: in Motherboards
October 25, 2012 10:01:18 PM

Hello.

I recently bought a new computer and from the start i have had problems with way to low download and upload speed.

Info:
Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard.
Intel I5-3570k cpu
MSI Geforce GTX660TI Power Edition graphics card
Corsair Vengance 1600mhz 8gb ram
Cooler Master HAF XM Midi Tower
Mist 1000w PSU

I feel that i've tried everything at this point to try and fix it.
I've tried 4 different sites to check my connection, they all end up with 3-5mbit down and 250kb-750kb up. This is not really acceptable when it's supposed to be a 25/25mbit line. On my laptop i get around 22-23/20-22mbit.

I started trying different tips from people with the same problem.
First i updated just about everything, drivers, utilities etc.
Then i tried to disable iControl the AI Suite II. This did give me a minor speedbump but it went from 3mbit to 5,5 and upload went from ~250kb to ~500kb. Still waaay off..
Afterwords i tried to remove netictrltray and netsvchelp, but that was just a less practical way of removing iControl.
Then i turned on Jumbo Frames with no luck (read somewhere that it might help).
Then i turned off Windows Management Instrumentation, but it didn't help.
Lastly i tried uninstalling all Asus wireless drivers and installed an Air:Link Wireless stick, but it gave the same results.
October 25, 2012 10:31:12 PM

sounds like you only tried the MoBos built in wifi try a usb w/lan adapter on ofc the cable. and when testing your speed on sites make sure to test with both a java and a flash based speed test

dont know if this help but it will narrow down your troubleshooting.. if not tried alredy
October 25, 2012 10:37:10 PM

i have tried both Java and flash sites. i installed å USB lan adapter but it all still gives the same results. i havent tried å cable yet. ill try to find one.
Related resources
October 25, 2012 10:41:21 PM

i forgot to mention, yesterday for about 30minutes i got 28/26mbit when doing tests. i didnt really do/change anything right before ør after that but it suddenly went back to 3, 5/0.5mbit
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
October 25, 2012 10:57:17 PM

If you search 'me' I never recommend WiFi for a Desktop and chances are your problem is reception and or interference. You can 'try' to uninstall both the Drivers and WiFi configurations and re-install and reconfigure a new connection, but more than likely moving (reposition) both your WiFi router and MOBO's antenna (including re-seating the WiFi Go module) will have a more profound impact. If that fails then I'd reset my Router to factory defaults and try everything again.

By far the best choice is use a wired CAT-5e/6 connection, and the next best is a PowerLine solution and dead last WiFi. See this videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/NCIXcom/videos?query=PowerL...

October 26, 2012 5:34:46 AM

Just to have tried it i deleted my SSD drive and re-installed Windows and only installed the drivers needed for an Air:Link Wireless usb adapter, but i still get horrible speeds.
I can't say im a "fan" of WiFi, but any other option, including moving my router, is rather unpractical for me atm.
I just can't see why it's suddenly becoming a problem now. Been using my old desktop with wireless for years and i've always had a stable connection with about 22-23/20-22mbit. Same goes for my laptop.
I still have a week to return my motherboard and buy a new one, if that would solve anything.
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 26, 2012 7:07:37 AM

amuffin said:
Disable Asus Icontrol for network.

You already did that....

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312236-30-beware-asus...
+1 this is your issue nothing wrong with that motherboard from what your saying also it's odd it's rather unpractical moving your router but sending the motherboard back and having to pay a shipping fee is not then again i don't know your situation nevertheless i hope it all gets worked out bud.
October 26, 2012 7:14:00 AM

i have tried to disable iControl, even uninstalling it, but it didnt help as much as i had hoped.
But considering that it did have an effect im going to see if it might be my router thats messing with me.
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 26, 2012 7:17:58 AM

Good luck that would suck for you having to send it back but if all else fails i guess it's best
October 26, 2012 9:23:07 AM

bigcyco1 said:
it's odd it's rather unpractical moving your router but sending the motherboard back and having to pay a shipping free is not then again i don't know your situation nevertheless i hope it all gets worked out bud.

I guess it does sound strange, it's just that my router is mounted to a wall with the internett cables sticking out of that wall right next to it so i'd prefer to keep it there.
a c 87 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 26, 2012 9:27:44 AM

jarlsuki said:
I guess it does sound strange, it's just that my router is mounted to a wall with the internett cables sticking out of that wall right next to it so i'd prefer to keep it there.
oh o.k. well that's understandable :) 
October 26, 2012 12:11:36 PM

Thanks for the answers though : )
Anyone else able to shine some light on the subject?
October 26, 2012 5:02:15 PM

after trying some different changes on my router and reinstalling my wireless drivers yet again it seems that my speed has returned to normal! man what a relief.. seems like i can keep my motherboard afterall : )
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
October 26, 2012 5:21:10 PM

Cool! :sol: 

I'd still look into a PowerLine solution if CAT-5e/6 cabling is out of the question.
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 5:39:19 PM

I get very good speeds from the wireless module on my P8z77-V Pro, never lagged in any gaming and I can get 2-3mbps download speeds from certain sites. I mean, it ain't perfect but I consider it acceptable if I don't lag while gaming. If I really needed my full rated speed I would just plug it in.
October 26, 2012 5:46:41 PM

Powerline does look like something that would work for me, but i think ill wait until i get problems with my WiFi. Thanks for the tip though :) 
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
October 26, 2012 6:22:14 PM

My 2 cents:

If you're an online gamer and a 'good one' then latency (lag) is a big thing. My daughter has off the charts reaction times, I don't, and the lag is critically important. Lag accumulation is three fold: 1. ISP (check ratings for your area), 2 Game Server (outside server); some are good and some are bad but it's easiest to find a new server or look for another game, and 3. Local (inside; wired/PowerLine/WiFi); you have choices to a degree. However, if your local ping rates are 25%+ of the 'problem' then either Wired or PowerLine is the answer. BTW - my daughter tests the ping every time and if the threshold exceeds her tolerable level -- it's like shooting at a ghost (you miss and appear to suck at the game) -- then she opts out and searches for another server. As I recall her max is 35ms~50ms and mine is <75~100ms. We have FiOS fiber, but that doesn't help if the server is on a crap provider or uses lousy equipment. Jitter is another issue to look into as well. WiFi is like a roller coaster.

Also, in 'my' situation we have a home server and every PC is GB connected which makes a huge difference transferring files and for my wife a huge database.

My point is it depends on your use and the performance you need. Once upon a time I was almost all wireless pre 802.11b/g and once you've tasted the 'fruit' you want other's join in for 'fruit' salad.
a b V Motherboard
October 26, 2012 6:41:25 PM

Lol, understandable, thanks for the um.. fruit analogy :p . My point was that I get no lag over wireless, so the only issues I would have with it is that it cannot achieve my maximum rated download speed (from the ISP, but even wired, many websites/programs (steam for example) place a maximum limit on how fast you can download so one user is not hogging all the bandwidth). Thus, if you do not always need your maximum achievable (and theoretic often lol) download speed and you don't lag over wireless, then it works just fine.
October 26, 2012 8:36:23 PM

I've tried playing BF3, Borderlands 2 and Diablo3 using wireless and i haven't had any latency problems. Granted this was on my previous computer.
For all i know changing to Powerline would make it even better and i just haven't tried the...fruit :p 
Not to go off my original post to much but, any particular Powerline "adapters" you would recommend?
a c 716 V Motherboard
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
October 26, 2012 11:56:46 PM

Bandwidth really isn't the issue, the biggest issue especially for FPS is lag. Your targets are moving pretty quickly and with 'lag' WYSIWYG doesn't apply and the higher the more the problem. Perfect targeting with perfect aim + lag = killing a e.g. tree.

The things that suck-up your bandwidth are video streaming e.g. Netflix, and the least is gaming.

Test by pinging your router: Run CMD.exe then type ping 192.168.1.1 assuming that's your router's IP and ideally they should all return <1ms.
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2013 4:37:12 AM

jarlsuki said:
after trying some different changes on my router and reinstalling my wireless drivers yet again it seems that my speed has returned to normal! man what a relief.. seems like i can keep my motherboard afterall : )

What changes did you make to your router? Im facing the same problem...

!