Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card for some serious gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 3, 2011 12:31:22 AM

Im looking for a new card for some serious gaming and ive narrowed it down to three:

EVGA GTX 590 3GB at 630MHz clock speed and 512 x 2 processor cores. <---- i really hoped that thiswould have a HDMI port.

EVGA GTX 580 3GB at 772MHz clock speed and 512 processor cores <---- also really hoped that this would have a HDMI port.

MSI GTX 580 3GB at 832 MHz clock speed and 512 processor cores <---- i really like the dual fan design.

Help me decide please. I currently have a MSI graphics card and it hasn't failed me yet but I have never had a graphics card from EVGA before and i dont know how it will perform or last. I mainly use my computer to play COD and other FPS games but i also use it as a home theater sometimes.

Other specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3
CPU: Intel i7-2600
RAM: G.Skills Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3-2133 (PC-17000)

More about : graphics card gaming

August 3, 2011 3:36:16 PM

EVGA cards are pretty top notch from a quality/warranty standpoint. Ive had many with no issues; call me a fanboy but Im sure others will share a similar opinion.

Unless you intend on playing some more demanding games (Crysis Franchise, Metro etc.) then youre looking at some overkill cards. A GTX570 and i suspect a 560 could saturate your needs for CoD.

Contradictory to that, your entire system appears to be more of a bragging right/enthusiast system than a system optimized for CoD. You seem interested in the 3GB cards, are you doing multiple display setups? If youre using resolutions such as 1920x1200 then you should probably go for a GTX580 1.5GB instead (Again, overkill by my understanding but its a fantastic card if you're looking for that kind of power.)

The 1.5GB cards will serve you better at lower resolutions and will burn less of a hole in your pocket; although cash doesnt seem to be an object in this discussion.

*Edit

Also, from personal experience the 1.5GB 580 overclocks like a champ. Framerates are a non-issue in just about every circumstance with a solid bump on the clocks.
!