Pentium D 3.2Ghz to Celeron G530 2.4Ghz. Good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tutstuts

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Is there going to be a big or any performance loss?

Thing is, I'm setting up a fairly good computer for my little brother. p67 mobo, his 6870 iceq, 8gb ram 1600, 1tb..
He doesn't play very intense games nor goes for high resolutions, so would that processor hold him back?

Thing is, I have an i5 2500k that I'm upgrading to an Ivy Bridge as soon as they come out, so I'm just looking for any cheap processor compatible with 1155 socket. Like that he can start using the new computer right away and in a few months he gets a nice processor upgrade.

Is that somewhat equivalent to the processor he has? Is there a processor hierarchy chart somewhere?

Thanks!

Solution
The Celeron is leaps and bonds better than the Pentium D, regardless of the clock rates, hell even one of those core 2 Celerons would trash the Pentium D. Plus along with he upgrade in processor would also come the platform upgrade which would make the overall experience much better.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
The Celeron is leaps and bonds better than the Pentium D, regardless of the clock rates, hell even one of those core 2 Celerons would trash the Pentium D. Plus along with he upgrade in processor would also come the platform upgrade which would make the overall experience much better.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.